Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • poundcoin
    • 11th Feb 14, 6:34 PM
    • 11th Feb 14, 6:34 PM
    Your article ignores the online pound shop with the largest range www.poundpanda.co.uk

2000 lines, no minimum order and 3.95 delivery . Backed by a large existing importer /wholesaler .

Despite my user name , no connection etc etc.
  • poundcoin
    • 11th Feb 14, 11:04 PM
    • 11th Feb 14, 11:04 PM
    Now Approved Food have introduced a Pound Shop section of their close-dated food lines. £15 min spend £5.25 delivery

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/pound_shop
    • *Jelly Tots*
    • By *Jelly Tots* 12th Feb 14, 5:52 AM
    • 1,981 Posts
    • 4,089 Thanks
    *Jelly Tots*
    • 12th Feb 14, 5:52 AM
    • 12th Feb 14, 5:52 AM
    I find shops like Home Bargains cheaper as they are not restricted to the £1 price. e.g. a lot of things for £1 in pound shops are only 69p in HB, or less than 50p. i.e. they don't have to round up prices to a £1.
  • poundcoin
    • 12th Feb 14, 8:08 AM
    • 12th Feb 14, 8:08 AM
    True about Home Bargains , B&M being cheaper on some lines but not everyone is near one of these shops and I don't think they have an online shop .
  • Twisted Cherry
    • 12th Feb 14, 8:46 AM
    • 12th Feb 14, 8:46 AM
    I agree, I tend to avoid pounds shops as many times I have found items cheaper in HB, B&M's and other local cut price shops!
    • Coopdivi
    • By Coopdivi 12th Feb 14, 2:34 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    Coopdivi
    • 12th Feb 14, 2:34 PM
    • 12th Feb 14, 2:34 PM
    If they charge for delivery then surely they're not Pound shops? Pound and a Bit or Guinea Shop doesn't sound quite as good though.
  • poundcoin
    • 12th Feb 14, 3:41 PM
    • 12th Feb 14, 3:41 PM
    Well unless you have a bus pass or can walk to a pound shop then you will have some expense in getting your goods , be it petrol , parking or bus fare if you were making a specific journey there .

The margins on pound lines just couldn't support a free delivery, say on a £10 order (I used to run a discount store , now retired).
  • Antwerpen
    • 12th Feb 14, 3:47 PM
    • 12th Feb 14, 3:47 PM
    I think it's a good idea, I don't drive, I walk to town and can carry so much home, if I ordered online I could do a bulk shop, I also wouldn't impulse buy, like I can do in the shops!It would also stop me going into town and then looking in other shops.
    Debts CC1 1424 // CC2 1836.65 // CC3 973.40 823.70 // CC4 609.05 459.04 // Very 422.25 ah now 533.53
    Total 7036.54 5076.92 !!!
    • Coopdivi
    • By Coopdivi 13th Feb 14, 11:46 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    Coopdivi
    Well unless you have a bus pass or can walk to a pound shop then you will have some expense in getting your goods , be it petrol , parking or bus fare if you were making a specific journey there .

The margins on pound lines just couldn't support a free delivery, say on a £10 order (I used to run a discount store , now retired).
    Originally posted by poundcoin
    Your first paragraph doesn't make any sense. If you go to a bricks and mortar Pound shop you have the personal choice of how you get there, whether it be walking, by bus, driving, water skis or whatever.

I agree with the second paragraph but it still doesn't make them Pound shops. If you spend £10 and there's £4 for delivery then, obviously, that means each item will cost £1.40.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 14th Feb 14, 6:48 AM
    • 7,368 Posts
    • 10,779 Thanks
    surfsister
    the site us already down as it's been overwhelmed! maybe they paid a £1 for the website! lol!
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 14th Feb 14, 9:04 AM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    If they charge for delivery then surely they're not Pound shops? Pound and a Bit or Guinea Shop doesn't sound quite as good though.
    Originally posted by Coopdivi
    What is wrong with charging for delivery? It is because of strange people like you it is now often cheaper buying a film or album in person in HMV than it is from Amazon. What possesses people like you to want to increase item prices (or, in this case, decreasing pack size) to accommodate 'built-in' delivery costs?
  • Blackbird101
    Your first paragraph doesn't make any sense. If you go to a bricks and mortar Pound shop you have the personal choice of how you get there, whether it be walking, by bus, driving, water skis or whatever.

I agree with the second paragraph but it still doesn't make them Pound shops. If you spend £10 and there's £4 for delivery then, obviously, that means each item will cost £1.40.
    Originally posted by Coopdivi
    Or if you buy £100 worth of items it only costs you £1.04 per item (assuming everything is exactly a pound)...

The delivery charge is a service that you pay for, we don't have the technology to beam items directly to our house, which means the company has to hire a driver and buy a van in order to deliver your groceries.

Meaning that £4 delivery is keeping someone in a job.

Choices are - pay for delivery or
    - Don't pay for delivery and inflate all of the prices to counteract

or walk/jog/drive/bus/waterski into town and get it yourself
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 2nd May 14, 9:14 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    I actually find that poundland can often be quite expensive.... at least for things other than stationary/ confectionery
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 2nd May 14, 10:23 AM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    I actually find that poundland can often be quite expensive.... at least for things other than stationary/ confectionery
    Originally posted by waqasahmed
    A sedentary sugary diet is not a good combination.
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 2nd May 14, 11:41 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    Originally posted by Nada666
    Lol. I don't go there often! Also because of where I'm working atm there's no poundshop close by so if I need stuff that costs £1 I'll get them on eBay

they might charge £2-£3 or whatever but its cheaper than going in to the nearest town with a poundshop. Poundland makes money, that eBay seller makes a little money, eBay and PayPal make a little money, the delivery company makes a little money, it saves me time and money, so its a win/win all round (Well it'd be cheaper if we did actually have a poundland here)

And I buy a lot of 99p or even $0.99 items online as well (free delivery)
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 2nd May 14, 11:42 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    Originally posted by Nada666
    Lol. I don't go there often! Also because of where I'm working atm there's no poundshop close by so if I need stuff that costs £1 I'll get them on eBay

they might charge £2-£3 or whatever but its cheaper than going in to the nearest town with a poundshop. Poundland makes money, that eBay seller makes a little money, eBay and PayPal make a little money, the credit card company make a little money,the delivery company makes a little money, it saves me time and money, so its a win/win all round (Well it'd be cheaper if we did actually have a poundland here)

And I buy a lot of 99p or even $0.99 items online as well (free delivery)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

960Posts Today

5,676Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin