Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 3rd Feb 14, 5:25 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Mis-sold CPP card protection? Watch for a claim form in the post
    • 3rd Feb 14, 5:25 PM
    MSE News: Mis-sold CPP card protection? Watch for a claim form in the post 3rd Feb 14 at 5:25 PM
    "Card Protection Plan card insurance customers can start claiming compensation from mid-February, says the FCA..."

Read the full story:

Mis-sold CPP card protection? Watch for a claim form in the post

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • mandleberry
    • By mandleberry 12th Mar 14, 9:44 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    mandleberry
    • 12th Mar 14, 9:44 AM
    CPP claim letter
    • 12th Mar 14, 9:44 AM
    The letter I recieved from CPP tells me I bought a card protection policy through them, a bank or a card issuer; but I can find no reference to this in any of my records. How do I word a claim to CPP in this scenario since they have already told me I have a policy? I can't see anything in your guide relating to this.
    Many thanks!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Mar 14, 9:46 AM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 14,493 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Mar 14, 9:46 AM
    • 12th Mar 14, 9:46 AM
    just fill in the form giving reasons you think it was mis-sold.
    • mandleberry
    • By mandleberry 12th Mar 14, 9:51 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    mandleberry
    • 12th Mar 14, 9:51 AM
    • 12th Mar 14, 9:51 AM
    All I am aware of is that I have rang on various occasions to 'activate' different credit/debit cards according to the sticker, but cannot remember being sold a policy as a result - Is it ok to just say that when ringing to activate I didn't realise that it was actioning a protection policy?
    Many thanks :-)
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Mar 14, 10:00 AM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 14,493 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Mar 14, 10:00 AM
    • 12th Mar 14, 10:00 AM
    Is it ok to just say that when ringing to activate I didn't realise that it was actioning a protection policy?
    Originally posted by mandleberry
    No, you need to show that you didn't want or need such insurance. Look for valid reasons on the reverse of the form and, if any apply, then complain.
  • Josoap78
    • 14th Mar 14, 4:02 PM
    • 14th Mar 14, 4:02 PM
    Two of the reasons given for possible mis-selling are related to what your bank or card issuer would have already covered you for, meaning you didn't need those particular aspects of the policy's benefits. Does this mean I need to go through my bank/card issuer benefits to check I didn't need the extra cover?
    Both of the main reasons given for mis-selling are reasons I would have wanted the cover, so if they were not accurate then I have been mis-sold. Can I write them both down if I feel I was mislead by both?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Mar 14, 4:03 PM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 14,493 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th Mar 14, 4:03 PM
    • 14th Mar 14, 4:03 PM
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/CPP-card-protection
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 15th Mar 14, 12:14 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    Cook_County
    • 15th Mar 14, 12:14 PM
    • 15th Mar 14, 12:14 PM
    My father is now in the early stages of dementia so no longer remembers what he was sold, when or by which card. He has received the form. Can he claim?
  • vicky495
    • 20th Mar 14, 12:26 PM
    • 20th Mar 14, 12:26 PM
    I have been paying for CPP with HSBC since 2000. The new scheme will authorise claims and compensation since 2005. I read on this website that I can complain to the bank directly for the period before 2005 by sending a letter to them. Martin has kindly provide forms for it.

Should I wait until I get the money back from the scheme for the period 2005-2013 and then complain to HSBC for the period 2000-2005? Wouldn’t it be strange if in my complain letter to HSBC I write that I want compensation for the period 2000 -2005 since I had the policy from 2000 until 2013?

Could you help me please? I am a little bit confused of what I need to send to the bank regarding the earlier period.

Many thanks for your help.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Mar 14, 12:47 PM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 14,493 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Should I wait until I get the money back from the scheme for the period 2005-2013 and then complain to HSBC for the period 2000-2005?
    Originally posted by vicky495
    There is absolutely no reason to wait.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/CPP-card-protection
  • Safetychick
    Hello, I'm new here!
    I have received a letter/form from CPP which relates to Identity Protection Insurance - I thought this related to my Barclays Additions account/Bundles however, when I've looked at the paperwork for that, it is card protection that is included in the bundle, not identity fraud.
    I'm going to ring CPP tomorrow to see where the Identity Protection insurance came from but my question is, can I also claim for the Card Protection cover which was included with my bundles - it came as part and parcel of a pack, some of which I wanted such as RAC cover and insurance - I had no choice but to take it or I could not have had the other benefits but I never activated/registered it because I knew I didn't need it.

Could anyone help please?

Thanks

Safetychick
    • x.x.x.
    • By x.x.x. 1st Apr 14, 12:52 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    x.x.x.
    I have just filled in my form, but seen to have lost the envelope - can i just use a normal one and pop a stamp on it? if so, what is the address? x
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Apr 14, 1:53 PM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 14,493 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    can i just use a normal one and pop a stamp on it? if so, what is the address? x
    Originally posted by x.x.x.
    You can contact the scheme team on 08000 83 43 93
    • netty s/land
    • By netty s/land 22nd Apr 14, 11:49 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    netty s/land
    CPP claim
    Hiya, to all who received a claim form for CPP. All you have to do is complete the details and say you were led to believe you couldn't use your card without it. This is what happened with me and only last week I got a cheque for £234.16. Result!!! Basically if you have received a claim form you MUST be entitled to something. All it takes is a few minutes of your time.
    Good luck.
    • sickasachip13
    • By sickasachip13 23rd Apr 14, 7:15 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    sickasachip13
    Hi, I only received one claim form but am almost positive I had CPP stuff (unnecessarily) on at least two seperate accounts. Should I have received more than one form?
    Thanks
    • poshpaws_007
    • By poshpaws_007 15th Jul 14, 4:31 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    poshpaws_007
    CPP cheque received
    HI
    I am claiming on behalf of a friend who finds this stuff puzzling. She has received a cheque for £150.00 but I think she is due more as she's had this CPP for a few years - is it the same process of simply not accepting the first cheque that comes along as this is a fob off from the bank?
    Any advice greatly received and any related links to investigating this further please?

cheers
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Jul 14, 5:46 PM
    • 10,652 Posts
    • 15,522 Thanks
    -taff
    The CPP scheme is only paying out post 2005.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Jul 14, 12:17 AM
    • 25,024 Posts
    • 14,493 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    - is it the same process of simply not accepting the first cheque that comes along as this is a fob off from the bank?
    Originally posted by poshpaws_007
    There is no "process" of refusing the first cheque at all, you can only refute the amount if you have proof that you paid more. You will never be refunded more than was paid.
    In the case of the CPP refund scheme, payments made prior to 2005 are not included. You have to complain to the Bank who sold you the insurance for pre-2005 cases. Again, there is no "process" whereby the complainant refuses the redress and so is offered more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,098Posts Today

7,158Users online

Martin's Twitter