Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 31st Jan 14, 12:30 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: More hotel room discounts on the way after competition probe
    • 31st Jan 14, 12:30 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: More hotel room discounts on the way after competition probe 31st Jan 14 at 12:30 PM
    "Hotels and online travel agents in the UK will have more freedom to discount rooms following an OFT investigation ..."

Read the full story:

More hotel room discounts on the way after competition probe

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by Former MSE Michael; 03-02-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Page 1
    • lutzi1
    • By lutzi1 31st Jan 14, 1:04 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 48,236 Thanks
    lutzi1
    • 31st Jan 14, 1:04 PM
    • 31st Jan 14, 1:04 PM
    As somebody who books a lot of travel for both business and leisure, I've noticed recently that there seems to be a lot less difference between prices on different websites. On the hotel comparison websites so often there almost seems to be a pattern , whereby the companies each take in turn to go out a limb and quote one ridiculously high price, while all the others cluster together at the lower end of the spectrum. Their prices are then quoted in comparison to the one ridicuously high price , with an alleged saving of x derived from using the comparison site. It happens too often to be a coincidence in my opinion.
    Hope is not a strategy.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 31st Jan 14, 1:36 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 31st Jan 14, 1:36 PM
    • 31st Jan 14, 1:36 PM
    I find that they just bump the price up themselves; so if you see a 40% off deal on one site that claims rack rate is 100, and the promotion deal is 60, the normal price on another site is 60.

The Quidco cashback deals are full of these so called 40% off deals.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 31st Jan 14, 6:38 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    • 31st Jan 14, 6:38 PM
    • 31st Jan 14, 6:38 PM
    And what about redress for the ones ripped off over the years ????
    • fabsaver
    • By fabsaver 1st Feb 14, 12:21 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    fabsaver
    • 1st Feb 14, 12:21 PM
    • 1st Feb 14, 12:21 PM
    Whilst this may be good news it is long overdue. The price fixing has been allowed to continue for far too long and it just shows that OFT have extremely limited powers to stop it. The investigation was launched in September 2010 http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2012/07/hotel-discount-deals-investigated Why on earth has it taken so long to reach this conclusion?

It would appear that IHG have only agreed to end the price fixing agreements by the agents agreeing to set up these membership schemes, thereby ensuring that IHG don't have to honour any Best Rate Guarantee claims for these 'room discounts'.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 1st Feb 14, 12:55 PM
    • 35,038 Posts
    • 41,123 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 1st Feb 14, 12:55 PM
    • 1st Feb 14, 12:55 PM
    Just booked a room direct with the hotel web site for 131, all the comparison sites quoting 155 for the same room , noticed that several times recently so always double check
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 2nd Feb 14, 12:40 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 2nd Feb 14, 12:40 PM
    • 2nd Feb 14, 12:40 PM
    There is too much emphasis on price any way.

I stayed in a hostel in Hangzhou in an en-suite room with air-conditioning which does heating too. 30 seconds away from the lake: about 25 a night.

One minute away, a lake view room in a roughly 4 star hotel was about 250 a night.

The five star Yellow Dragon on the other side of the lake is much grander, but is not on the lake, so you can get a room for 200.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,936Posts Today

7,994Users online

Martin's Twitter