Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • CherlokHomes
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:09 PM
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:09 PM
    Is this country now turning in to America where compensation is seen as easy money.

It's ridiculous IMHO.
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 27th Jan 14, 12:14 PM
    • 8,472 Posts
    • 50,025 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:14 PM
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:14 PM
    I agree, it's outrageous, and sad that this site promotes this sort of behaviour

It's fair enough that customers shouldn't be left out of pocket, but to encourage people to ask for compensation for a three hour outage is a poor show.

It's nothing to do with Money Saving - it's about greed
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • pete_v
    • By pete_v 27th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    pete_v
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    "If you're unhappy with your bank's service, then ditch and switch elsewhere.
    [...]
    There's also a number of switching incentives being offered at present including a £100 bonus for new First Direct* and Halifax Reward* customers"

Switch to Halifax? They're one of the ones that failed...

Pete
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 27th Jan 14, 12:32 PM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:32 PM
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:32 PM
    Is this country now turning in to America where compensation is seen as easy money.

It's ridiculous IMHO.
    Originally posted by CherlokHomes
    Totally agree........
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 27th Jan 14, 12:33 PM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:33 PM
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:33 PM
    I agree, it's outrageous, and sad that this site promotes this sort of behaviour

It's fair enough that customers shouldn't be left out of pocket, but to encourage people to ask for compensation for a three hour outage is a poor show.

It's nothing to do with Money Saving - it's about greed
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    Again totally agree......
    Sad really.
  • opinions4u
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:50 PM
    • 27th Jan 14, 12:50 PM
    Shouldn't most people be at home not spending money on a Sunday afternoon?
    • jrawle
    • By jrawle 27th Jan 14, 1:06 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    jrawle
    • 27th Jan 14, 1:06 PM
    • 27th Jan 14, 1:06 PM
    Shouldn't most people be at home not spending money on a Sunday afternoon?
    Originally posted by opinions4u
    Most people have to be at work in the week, so have no choice other than to do their shopping on Sunday, crammed into the six hours shops are forced to restrict their hours to.
  • opinions4u
    • 27th Jan 14, 1:51 PM
    • 27th Jan 14, 1:51 PM
    Most people have to be at work in the week, so have no choice other than to do their shopping on Sunday, crammed into the six hours shops are forced to restrict their hours to.
    Originally posted by jrawle
    How did the poor lambs cope before Sunday opening?
  • innovate
    Originally posted by jrawle
    Gosh how dramatic. I can hardly believe people ever survived when we didn't have Sunday opening and they had to 'cram' their shopping into lunch hours, a late shopping night or a Saturday.

If it's truly so hard on you, have you investigated online shopping and having your goods delivered?
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 27th Jan 14, 1:54 PM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 3,917 Thanks
    LadyDee
    How far is this ridiculous compensation nonsense going to go? My bus didn't turn up on time Friday, I was 20 minutes late for an appointment. That's got to be worth compensation for distress surely? Must get MSE on the case.

Every time someone gets compensation for something the cost goes up for someone else, but never mind, I'll have a few quid extra in my pocket.
  • innovate
    To liken yesterday afternoon's LBG group problem with the RBS group meltdown a couple of years back is truly taking the micky.

Of course people who suffered a financial loss caused by LBG need to be re-imbursed but the claimant should provide proof of exactly what the loss is and why it was LBG's fault.

In common with some other posters, I fail to comprehend that people still go out shopping with just one method of payment. Not everyone may want to have 2 liquid current accounts but literally everybody can get a credit card nowadays.

I am very disappointed that MSE towers are beating the compensation drum, and are incredibly light on practical advice on how people can protect themselves from future technology failures (which will no doubt occur). Switching bank accounts isn't the answer, particularly if one of the suggested target accounts is one of the banks affected by yesterday's outage.
    • aldredd
    • By aldredd 27th Jan 14, 2:25 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    aldredd
    Oh come on guys - really?
    If you were left out of pocket, of course you should be reimbursed.
    But compensation for 'Distress' - to the tune of £150? You've got to be kidding me!
    This is (IMO) a very different scenario to what happened in 2012 where complete access to accounts along with payments in and out was effectively blocked for several days. Here, we're talking about in-store card payments over a 3 hour period.

Embarrassing? Yes!
    Frustrating? Yes!
    Emotionally Distressful? No, save for exceptional circumstances (eg where it was an emotional situation anyway, perhaps such as paying for a funeral?)

This site is turning more and more from Money Saving to Money Grabbing every day!
  • opinions4u
    I am very disappointed that MSE towers are beating the compensation drum, and are incredibly light on practical advice on how people can protect themselves from future technology failures (which will no doubt occur). Switching bank accounts isn't the answer, particularly if one of the suggested target accounts is one of the banks affected by yesterday's outage.
    Originally posted by innovate
    But you are in no way surprised.
  • Money-Saving-King
    "If you're unhappy with your bank's service, then ditch and switch elsewhere.
    [...]
    There's also a number of switching incentives being offered at present including a £100 bonus for new First Direct* and Halifax Reward* customers"

Switch to Halifax? They're one of the ones that failed...

Pete
    Originally posted by pete_v
    But Martin wants people to click his affiliate links!
    • alanq
    • By alanq 27th Jan 14, 3:44 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    alanq
    There are good reasons why LBG is likely to make ex gratia payments for proven losses due to interruption of service if it doesn't want to lose customers. However, liability depends on negligence. In the case of RBS it was reported that the many days to recover (if not the original issue) were due to human error. A few hours interruption for as yet unknown reasons is different.

If an organisation has taken all reasonable precautions and still the service is interrupted due to say multiple simultaneous unfortunate events then I don't see any negligence and no automatic right to any compensation let alone for distress. Customers should take reasonable precautions to avoid relying on any one system and carry other cards and/or cash in anticipation that from time to time things don't work.

Lloyds Bank Ts&Cs to which its customers have agreed state:
    "we will not be liable for losses or costs caused
    by abnormal and unforeseeable circumstances
    outside our reasonable control, which would
    have been unavoidable despite all efforts to the
    contrary, for example, delays or failures caused
    by industrial action, problems with another
    system or network, mechanical breakdown or
    data-processing failures;"

I am sure that all banks have similar clauses in their Ts&Cs. We will all pay for any excessive payouts to those affected.
    Last edited by alanq; 27-01-2014 at 3:48 PM.
  • innovate
    There are good reasons why LBG is likely to make ex gratia payments for proven losses due to interruption of service if it doesn't want to lose customers.
    Originally posted by alanq
    I reckon that LBG will have no problem to re-imburse people if they experienced a genuine financial loss as a result of the short outage. I also reckon that they will be able to spot compensation scroungers by a country mile, and possibly be glad to see the back of them if they leave on the back of not receiving compensation for this minor incident.

A few hours interruption for as yet unknown reasons is different.
    Originally posted by alanq
    according to Paul Pester, CEO of TSB, the outage was caused by a failing HP server.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/27/lloyds_atm_cash_card_crash/
    This begs of course the question why they had no hot standby for this server because it is clearly a mission-critical point in the LBG infrastructure. 2 possible explanations: incompetent IT management who don't understand disaster recovery management, or incompetent Business Executives who cut the IT budget to the bare bones. Probably a combination of both, and Joe Public is unlikely to ever find out the true cause. We don't even know the real cause for the 2012 RBS meltdown, which was massively more severe, and for which we were promised a formal investigation by the FSA. May be that formal investigation has died a quiet death along with the FSA.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 27th Jan 14, 4:53 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    Herbalus
    I presume the headline is for google search optimisation, but this compensation culture irritates me. And considering MSE doesn't benefit from consumers' desire for compensation, I'm not sure how it received such prominence in the article, especially when it states that compensation is for those out of pocket. I can't envisage many situations where a debit card not working causes people to be out of pocket. Embarrassing, yes, but out of pocket, no.

I'm also disappointed that the article lists 0845 numbers for complaints. Surely they should include at least a mention of saynoto0870.com? But then again, the readership is now so large that publishing local numbers would inevitably have them removed.
  • opinions4u
    Interesting that although LBG ATMs weren't working, LBG customers were able to use non-LBG ATMs for their transactions.

Wonder how many didn't try?

As for Paul Pester at TSB, his efforts on Twitter yesterday were excellent.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 27th Jan 14, 5:08 PM
    • 3,481 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Interesting that despite MoneySupermarket not having any editorial control, supposedly, MSE still plays to the crowds by playing the "compensation" angle, along with posting that tabloidy "get the most from your bank" article (which I note that they have still not defended or talked about in any way) when if there was no commercial incentive they wouldn't have any reason to put in click-bait.

Hmm...
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

834Posts Today

5,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin