Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • richardbeatson
    • 2nd Oct 07, 11:25 AM
    • 2nd Oct 07, 11:25 AM
    I saw this recently on TV too and I thought it was a hoax. I can't believe it's true. It's like the kind of thing you get on those music channels... though making it a subscription service just isn't right.
  • SiobhanG
    • 2nd Oct 07, 5:32 PM
    • 2nd Oct 07, 5:32 PM
    I was similarly outraged yesterday, seeing an advert that invites you to text your name in and have them text you the initials of your future husband/wife and subscribe you to all their text services. £3 a week for two randomly generated letters and a barrage of spam on your mobile!
  • burgesst
    • 3rd Oct 07, 3:09 PM
    • 3rd Oct 07, 3:09 PM
    Funny you should notice this ad, its the first to really annoy me.

I'm not sure which annoys me more, the fact that they are charging so much, or the fact that a perfectly happy (but gullible) couple might split because their random number generator says so!
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 4th Oct 07, 11:54 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    JDPower
    • 4th Oct 07, 11:54 PM
    • 4th Oct 07, 11:54 PM
    I was similarly outraged yesterday, seeing an advert that invites you to text your name in and have them text you the initials of your future husband/wife and subscribe you to all their text services. 3 a week for two randomly generated letters and a barrage of spam on your mobile!
    Originally posted by SiobhanG
    I spotted that ridiculous advert too and was wondering just how gullible people are - to pay to have two random letters sent to your mobile. The same ad also offers to send the initial of your first/next child IIRC. My mean side thinks if you're that gullible you deserve everything you get.
    • Tiger_greeneyes
    • By Tiger_greeneyes 5th Oct 07, 12:21 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Tiger_greeneyes
    • 5th Oct 07, 12:21 PM
    • 5th Oct 07, 12:21 PM
    All of the above! I can't believe anyone would actually subscribe to this service anyway. This is as bad as fake mediums, playing on gullible people's emotions.

Imo, it's the lowest of the low and entirely immoral.
    Wedding date 31 October 2008 - MSE style of course
    Mis-sold endowment mortgage - compensation - 1,523.97
    26.01.09 - I'm finally mortgage & debt free
    2009 wins: box of L'Oreal goodies: Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish: USB wireless modem: iPod Shuffle
  • jules1213
    • 6th Oct 07, 3:14 PM
    • 6th Oct 07, 3:14 PM
    ALso 1st thing I said when I saw it! Trade descriptions surely! But then maybe they know something we don't LOL!
    Oct 07

Greasy Palm - still working towards my first 25 cheque!
    Tel survey earned 20 high street voucher
    MEAF - 65 claimed back
    Comps won:
    French designer dress worth 25 - from Babyshow
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,913Posts Today

8,501Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin