Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Simon_c
    • By Simon_c 2nd Oct 07, 10:28 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Simon_c
    • 2nd Oct 07, 10:28 AM
    • 2nd Oct 07, 10:28 AM
    I never open them.
    I do remember one time when they might have been useful.

We had a power cut that had lasted for more than a few mins, so even with the laptop, there was no power for the router, so no internet.

I txted my mum asking her if she could look up a number (strange how it's always Mum you phone up for help but that's an asside). She phoned back confused about how she could look up a phone number for my electricity company from where she lived. Then suggested I look up in the phone book !!

I just think it's funny how it never occurred to me to look in the phone book, and how it never occurred to her to look online (despite bing very computer savie)
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 2nd Oct 07, 11:35 AM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    • 2nd Oct 07, 11:35 AM
    • 2nd Oct 07, 11:35 AM
    I agree with what the article says, there should be a way of opting out of having it delivered too so it never comes in the first place.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • lardaholics anonymous
    • By lardaholics anonymous 2nd Oct 07, 11:40 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    lardaholics anonymous
    • 2nd Oct 07, 11:40 AM
    Yellow pages
    • 2nd Oct 07, 11:40 AM
    I for one value the yellow pages. I do most of my shopping online, but there are some things where Yellow Pages comes into its own. For example, I was re-turfing my lawn recently and I wanted a local supplier, so that the grass was grown on similar soil and didn't have to travel many miles on a flatbed.

Google came up with some options, but most were on the other side of the country. The online Yellow pages is pretty poor, and misses a lot of them out because the search does not know the local area as well as a human.

There are many turf suppliers listed in the Yellow Pages, most of which are relatively local. Often, there websites are listed which were not optimised for Google, and lots of phone numbers of course.

Sure, for insurance etc, it is the web all the way, but if you want smaller companies, a locla directory is where its at, and the Yellow Pages is the most comprehensive.
    • zfrl
    • By zfrl 2nd Oct 07, 11:54 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    zfrl
    • 2nd Oct 07, 11:54 AM
    • 2nd Oct 07, 11:54 AM
    Yellow Pages - If they didn't say they were delivered to everyone then they would not be able to charge so much for the adverts!

How much would a company pay for an insert in a book seen by an unknown number of people?

I for one never open it - all I do is take the wrapper off before putting it into the recycling.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

• kezbabybabe
    • By kezbabybabe 3rd Oct 07, 6:22 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    kezbabybabe
    • 3rd Oct 07, 6:22 AM
    • 3rd Oct 07, 6:22 AM
    Totally Agree, we use mainly the internet to look things up, outside of this if we didn't have the phone books we would probably phone a 118 number.

Its about time they saved money by not printing it and sending it to everyone.
    • kingkano
    • By kingkano 3rd Oct 07, 6:23 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    kingkano
    • 3rd Oct 07, 6:23 AM
    • 3rd Oct 07, 6:23 AM
    I have to agree with 'lardaholics anonymous'. yell.com is very very poor. It seems as if business' have to pay extra to appear there (on top of their paper based ad). Which means when I was recently searching for fireplace installers in my area on yell I got 2 results, in the yellow pages there was roughly half a dozen pages of ads. How can I justify turfing the book in that case??

Obviously other online searches can help but sometimes nothing beats looking in the book.
    • Mumstheword
    • By Mumstheword 3rd Oct 07, 8:18 AM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Mumstheword
    • 3rd Oct 07, 8:18 AM
    • 3rd Oct 07, 8:18 AM
    The main issue in the OP is the delivery method -

The distributors are not allowed to leave these books on doorsteps. If they cant hand it over or fit it through the letter box, it should be left discreetly, behind a plant pot or the bin for example, or with a neighbour.

If you were to have a staggered delivery/collection service, that would impact greatly on costs and advertisiing. The costs would be higher, to pay someone to re walk that whole area, collecting in any left out. That cost would be passed on to advertisers...these companies are in this to make profit and are hardly likely to pay that out themselves. The advertisers would then face higher charges, knowing that the book is actually going to fewer customers.

Those books are unlikely to be reuseable if they've been out in the rain a couple of days. The plastic coverings will keep them clean, and protect them from a light shower, but nothing more.
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me
    • duchy
    • By duchy 3rd Oct 07, 8:28 AM
    • 18,253 Posts
    • 46,604 Thanks
    duchy
    • 3rd Oct 07, 8:28 AM
    • 3rd Oct 07, 8:28 AM
    I for one value the yellow pages. I do most of my shopping online, but there are some things where Yellow Pages comes into its own. For example, I was re-turfing my lawn recently and I wanted a local supplier, so that the grass was grown on similar soil and didn't have to travel many miles on a flatbed.

Google came up with some options, but most were on the other side of the country. The online Yellow pages is pretty poor, and misses a lot of them out because the search does not know the local area as well as a human.

There are many turf suppliers listed in the Yellow Pages, most of which are relatively local. Often, there websites are listed which were not optimised for Google, and lots of phone numbers of course.

Sure, for insurance etc, it is the web all the way, but if you want smaller companies, a locla directory is where its at, and the Yellow Pages is the most comprehensive.
    Originally posted by lardaholics anonymous
    Yellow pages is available on-line at www.yell.co.uk so there really isn't any need for those enormous books in a lot of homes. I use yellow pages and agree it's a great resource but haven't touched the book version in several years
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
    • olly300
    • By olly300 3rd Oct 07, 8:29 AM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    The problem with opting in is that when you move house the person who will use the yellow pages most is the new occupant. Every time I've moved it has taken me a minimum of 2 weeks to get internet access and that's the time the yellow pages has come in very handy whether I know the local area or not.

Even when I do have internet access the yellow pages is much easier to use than yell

The phone book is a waste of space. Most people I know are not in it and I never can find the company I'm looking for.
    • webdigga
    • By webdigga 3rd Oct 07, 8:40 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    webdigga
    Completely agree with this article.

I had to put mine in the recycling bin a few days ago. The book is a little redundant now with such easy access to the internet.
    • Mumstheword
    • By Mumstheword 3rd Oct 07, 8:46 AM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Mumstheword
    To those who want to stop these directories altogether....

This is a means of income for thousands of people. To the distribution companies, and all of the permanent and temporary staff they use, this is their income. The companies who advertise in these books have an advertising budget which would be used elsewhere anyway if these books didnt exist.
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me
    • jackie1969uk
    • By jackie1969uk 3rd Oct 07, 9:37 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    jackie1969uk
    I have recently received a new Yellow pages and like other I never open it and never use it, also in Glasgow it cannot be put in the recycle bins as the ink they use is too dark (so they claim) so cant be recycled. Not only that I also recieve, Thomson Local, Phone Directory, Local Newspapers, Catalogues from many companies I NEVER order from and flyers from supermarkets that I dont visit, all of which I put in the recycle bin without ever opening. We would go a long way towards recycling if the bin wasnt full of items that were unwanted. I do all my shopping online and any searching online too and I would be 100% happy to never receive any catalogues or use an option to opt into or out of receiving them.
  • clematis
    Take your yellow pages to your local school who will get cash in return for it and it will also be recycled. Have never used Thomas local and so that along with the phone book both go into the recycling. Surely with limited advertising in the phone book this could be something we could opt out of.

I recently had this dicussion with friends and none of us use it preferring to use the internet instead.
  • freelancemermaid
    i know it's not as urgent as dodgy financial dealing, but please, please, please lovely MSE people, do a campaign regarding opt in/opt out.

they're such a waste of paper, energy, chemical by-products, petrol, time, etc for those of use who don't use them.
    • ladycatnap
    • By ladycatnap 3rd Oct 07, 3:57 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    ladycatnap
    You can opt out of having a yellow pages delivered to your door just call
    0800 671 444 and they will cancel it.
  • MC_Emily
    That's an invalid number. Anyone know of a valid one to cancel the Yellow Pages and/or Phone Book? Thanks.
    • smillie-world
    • By smillie-world 3rd Oct 07, 7:17 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    smillie-world
    I have to agree with 'lardaholics anonymous'. yell.com is very very poor. It seems as if business' have to pay extra to appear there (on top of their paper based ad). Which means when I was recently searching for fireplace installers in my area on yell I got 2 results, in the yellow pages there was roughly half a dozen pages of ads. How can I justify turfing the book in that case??

Obviously other online searches can help but sometimes nothing beats looking in the book.
    Originally posted by kingkano
    Looks like you can advertise on Yell.co.uk for free, http://www.yelldirect.com/freelisting/. Of course its not a big flashy ad, and probably placed below the paid for ads. Not sure how well advertised this is, or whether businesses just don't find it useful, but there you go.

Perhaps MoneySavingExpert should advertise under the loans section and debt sections.
  • refuge10
    I have delivered these books for over 10 years now, and if one person opted out in a street I doubt it would be acted on. With a strict deadlline on delivery (usually 6 days ) and maybe 2500 books to move, I just do the streets assigned and get on with it. If someone refuses a book or the house is empty etc I dont deliver, I still get paid(per book) and just return unused books to the depot at the end of the week. This year was the first time someone has refused a book, it was the yellow pages (he was a man in mid 20`s ) but over the years I have been asked for extra copies on a number of occasions.
    • zfrl
    • By zfrl 4th Oct 07, 8:45 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    zfrl
    You can opt out of having a yellow pages delivered to your door just call
    0800 671 444 and they will cancel it.
    Originally posted by ladycatnap
    Just phoned & cancelled (the number is valid), then passed it round the office - everyone else has now cancelled too!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,930Posts Today

7,928Users online

Martin's Twitter