Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 7th Jan 14, 5:53 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: BT now charges for 1571 calls opt out to avoid 42/year bills
    • 7th Jan 14, 5:53 PM
    MSE News: BT now charges for 1571 calls opt out to avoid 42/year bills 7th Jan 14 at 5:53 PM
    "BT now charges for its previously-free 1571 answer phone and caller display services - so opt out now to cut costs..."

Read the full story:

BT now charges for 1571 calls opt out to avoid 42/year bills

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply. If you arent sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 7th Jan 14, 6:36 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 7th Jan 14, 6:36 PM
    • 7th Jan 14, 6:36 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=12555509&postcount=27
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 7th Jan 14, 7:17 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 7th Jan 14, 7:17 PM
    • 7th Jan 14, 7:17 PM
    If you're currently working through a 12 or 18 month contract that will expire before the end of the year, then think twice before agreeing to the free caller display deal. You will be locking yourself into a new 12 month contract for a lousy 1.75 a month discount.

I am going to wait until my current 12 month contract expires, then phone up BT and tell them I want a proper discount. It's worked for the last 2 years, and I expect it to work again. If it doesn't, I'll take my business elsewhere.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 7th Jan 14, 7:47 PM
    • 40,219 Posts
    • 309,525 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 7th Jan 14, 7:47 PM
    • 7th Jan 14, 7:47 PM
    They are also going to charge 3 a month from Feb for the old Hub phone numbers, which were previously free.

Someones got to pay for the "Free" BT Sport.
    Internet goodness 26574
    • Grumpyswife
    • By Grumpyswife 7th Jan 14, 11:29 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Grumpyswife
    • 7th Jan 14, 11:29 PM
    • 7th Jan 14, 11:29 PM
    If you're currently working through a 12 or 18 month contract that will expire before the end of the year, then think twice before agreeing to the free caller display deal. You will be locking yourself into a new 12 month contract for a lousy 1.75 a month discount.

I am going to wait until my current 12 month contract expires, then phone up BT and tell them I want a proper discount. It's worked for the last 2 years, and I expect it to work again. If it doesn't, I'll take my business elsewhere.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    I've just renegotiated my deal - told them how much PlusNet would charge! In another 12 month contract but also got BT Privacy (includes Caller Display) and a discount off the broadband as well. Was told to ring again when the 12 months was up and they'd give me a discount again on the next contract period.

So, don't pay the asking price!

Oh, and now on double the speed as well - hovering around the 60MB mark.
    • tiggybear
    • By tiggybear 8th Jan 14, 7:16 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    tiggybear
    • 8th Jan 14, 7:16 AM
    • 8th Jan 14, 7:16 AM
    We binned BT years ago - not just because of the pricing hikes of BT but because mobiles are now so much cheaper.
    We have now replaced our BT line with a PAYG mobile SIM in a mobile that we just have in the home and give that out as our 'home' number. I'm not sure this is the place to tout a specific company but on that SIM we only have to pay 3p per minute if we need to use that phone to make outgoing calls which is cheaper than out BT rate was, and of course caller display is free and there is no monthly outlay.
    We still use our individual mobiles as personal phones outside the house and have 1000s of inclusive minutes on them for keeping in touch with friends etc. Yes they are contract SIMs but one contract provides 7000mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet tethering all for 15.
    The only thing we miss out on is fast broadband for streaming films but find a mobile broadband setup fast enough for our alarm and CCTV systems to still operate.
    All in all we have saved a lot of money a month by ditching BT for mobile. And of course no annual tie-in for (most of) the services.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 8th Jan 14, 9:21 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 8th Jan 14, 9:21 AM
    • 8th Jan 14, 9:21 AM
    How much longer can this company get away with claiming BT Sport is 'free'? Surely the regulator should be looking at this.
    • Lil Lady
    • By Lil Lady 8th Jan 14, 9:31 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    Lil Lady
    • 8th Jan 14, 9:31 AM
    • 8th Jan 14, 9:31 AM
    I saw the MSE link and checked mine and guess what, BT hadn't updated my product details online and it still says

My Phone
    Unlimited Anytime Calls
    Your call plan is for 02089******

Inclusive calls to anytime day, evening and weekend

Included in your phone package
    Unlimited calls to UK landlines at any time
    Plus 1/2 price pence per minute rates to mobiles
    Inclusive calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers at any time
    Get BT privacy, BT answer 1571, and BT 1471 calling features at no extra cost

They haven't changed the online details to include the charges
    , so I'm 'discussing' it now, they say the charge is still valid, I say on my bill in black and white it says updated 6th Jan 2 days after your charges came into effect and you say its free on my bill
    and included in my phone package
    proud to be a young stroke survivor
    • Lindalou
    • By Lindalou 8th Jan 14, 10:47 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Lindalou
    • 8th Jan 14, 10:47 AM
    12 month contract STILL charged for caller ID !
    • 8th Jan 14, 10:47 AM
    I paid for my BT line rental for 12 months in advance at the beginning of December, but I notice on my monthly bill this time I have still been charged for caller ID, even though it is free with 12 month contracts. I went online and chatted to a customer support employee, who confirmed that it should be free. He ordered a new contract for caller ID and is going to refund what I have already paid on my next bill.
    The purpose of this post is just to advise BT customers who have paid the 12 month rental in advance to check your bill !! If it has happened to me, how many countless others will be paying this charge without realising. 1.75 does not make a noticeable difference to your bill to make it stand out as an error. But BT must be raking in thousands of 1.75's per month! Please check!
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 8th Jan 14, 1:57 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    Patr100
    This BT help page linked below is slightly out of date but it gives you an idea of what you will see if you log in . Scroll right down and make sure nothing is checked that you don't want then follow the pages to confirm the "order".

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47926/c/345

If you are not not sure or don't want to phone then use the following form
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47926/c/345

(thanks to Heinz on the other thread) , using the form I got a confirmation I was not on 1571 by the next morning.
    Last edited by Patr100; 08-01-2014 at 1:59 PM.
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
    • babyhk
    • By babyhk 8th Jan 14, 2:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    babyhk
    1571 Calls
    Thanks for this alarming news.
    Just phoned the 0800 number given and asked to key in my phone number.
    Get voice message asking me to call back later as there is a technical fault!
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 8th Jan 14, 4:46 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 32,681 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    No doubt AOL/Talktalk will follow!
    May wins: 10 winneroo, In the city book, Scrabble game. 2 bottles of gin liqueur.
    • Rich Pauper
    • By Rich Pauper 8th Jan 14, 5:23 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Rich Pauper
    I paid for my BT line rental for 12 months in advance at the beginning of December, but I notice on my monthly bill this time I have still been charged for caller ID, even though it is free with 12 month contracts. I went online and chatted to a customer support employee, who confirmed that it should be free. He ordered a new contract for caller ID and is going to refund what I have already paid on my next bill.
    The purpose of this post is just to advise BT customers who have paid the 12 month rental in advance to check your bill !! If it has happened to me, how many countless others will be paying this charge without realising. 1.75 does not make a noticeable difference to your bill to make it stand out as an error. But BT must be raking in thousands of 1.75's per month! Please check!
    Originally posted by Lindalou

just been online and cancelled 1.75 charge, then read your email. I'm going to chat online now. Thanks
    • tifo
    • By tifo 8th Jan 14, 7:47 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    tifo
    I've just renegotiated my deal - told them how much PlusNet would charge! In another 12 month contract but also got BT Privacy (includes Caller Display) and a discount off the broadband as well. Was told to ring again when the 12 months was up and they'd give me a discount again on the next contract period.

So, don't pay the asking price!

Oh, and now on double the speed as well - hovering around the 60MB mark.
    Originally posted by Grumpyswife
    I had to leave BT last year because I wanted fibre. They would not give me any discount at all .... their only telephone offer was 23 a month when it was 20 online !!

Was a telephone customer for 13 years. They said it doesn't matter because you haven't been a broadband customer. And new broadband customer discount? No, because you're already a telephone customer !! ..... Don't know how that works .....

Moved my line to Sky with 6 months free fibre and 40 credit (making it 8 months free) then 20 a month. Will renegotiate after 12 months.

Even up to the transfer date rang BT asking for a good deal but still a no (I wanted BT sport).

I don't know how others get any discounts !!!!

After I'd moved to Sky BT started sending some offers but still not as good as what I was on. Nothing special from BT, just their normal online deals.
    Last edited by tifo; 08-01-2014 at 7:50 PM.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 8th Jan 14, 8:07 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Kite2010
    No doubt AOL/Talktalk will follow!
    Originally posted by Makeandsave
    If they see BT managing to get away with charging for previous freebies, then they will probably look into charging for other current freebies.
    • jinkssick
    • By jinkssick 8th Jan 14, 10:57 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    jinkssick
    Moved to sister in laws. Had managed to evade the BT landline trap for around 5 years. She has it here. Due for renewal in March. Cannot wait not to give a single penny to these rats that double up as a business.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 9th Jan 14, 11:20 AM
    • 40,219 Posts
    • 309,525 Thanks
    mjm3346
    They should have been forced to make the default position that the services will only continue if you opt in to pay for them, they wouldn't choose to do it that way as they would lose far more custom.

As per post #7 they shouldn't be allowed to claim BT sport is "free" when all of their customers are being forced to pay for it through higher and totally disproportionate charges on their other services.
    Internet goodness 26574
    • 507cdr
    • By 507cdr 9th Jan 14, 9:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    507cdr
    Tried to opt out on-line by unticking the box but was unable to complete the request unless i ticked a box at the bottom "Bring all your calls back to BT" What a bunch of cowboys! Had to contact them by phone and the guy wanted to sell me another product and was far from pleased when i refused. Can't believe i've been with this shower over 40 years.
    • andyt8
    • By andyt8 10th Jan 14, 1:06 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    andyt8
    We binned BT years ago - not just because of the pricing hikes of BT but because mobiles are now so much cheaper.
    Originally posted by tiggybear
    Plan to do the same as you as soon as we get 3G coverage out here in rural Sussex. When you think of it most people would want a mobile anyway and with the sort of contract you were describing you could tether when at home to give WiFi for your laptops. Plus when the BT copper line goes down in the storm you loose all - with a mobile you have a chance of moving a few miles and getting another signal.
    • tulipthecat
    • By tulipthecat 10th Jan 14, 4:24 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tulipthecat
    My current contract with BT ends in April, at which point I'm planning to leave. I've had caller display while it was free but don't want to pay for it from now on. I've been on the website to try to get rid of it, but to remove a calling feature you have to "Place an Order" at which point it talks about "minimum terms". Does anyone know if I do this, will I be taking out a new contract which means I'll be tied to BT for another 12 months (or have pay a termination charge if I leave before next January)?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

1,755Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick twitter poll: Will Theresa May still be the PM of the UK a week today?

• Thank you for all the sensitive teeth rememedies. I'm going to try (not the alchohol ones though - on air early tomorrow)

• Grrrr. I've sensitive tooth pain after going to the dentist last week for a filling. I've been putting sensodyne? https://t.co/A1Q8sdSukK

• Follow Martin