Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 3rd Jan 14, 10:19 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: UK house prices up by 8.4% in 2013, Nationwide says
    • 3rd Jan 14, 10:19 AM
    MSE News: UK house prices up by 8.4% in 2013, Nationwide says 3rd Jan 14 at 10:19 AM
    "House prices rose by 8.4% over 2013 across the UK – the biggest annual increase since June 2010, says Nationwide..."

Read the full story:

UK house prices up by 8.4% in 2013, Nationwide says

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
  • Turnbull2000
    • 3rd Jan 14, 4:50 PM
    • 3rd Jan 14, 4:50 PM
    It's progress. Should hit 10%+ UK wide in 2014.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • By HAMISH_MCTAVISH 3rd Jan 14, 9:17 PM
    • 26,030 Posts
    • 59,309 Thanks
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • 3rd Jan 14, 9:17 PM
    • 3rd Jan 14, 9:17 PM
    Excellent news, and prices up in every region of the country.

Great to see the recovery is now strengthening across the whole UK and no longer confined to a few hotspots.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
    -- President John F. Kennedy”
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 3rd Jan 14, 9:24 PM
    • 10,571 Posts
    • 21,268 Thanks
    Running Horse
    • 3rd Jan 14, 9:24 PM
    • 3rd Jan 14, 9:24 PM
    Excellent news for who? I want my child to be able to afford a house in a few years, not have to reply on me for a handout I can't afford on top of university fees. This bubble will eventually burst just like all the others.
    I was present at wreath-laying but don't think I was involved.
    • Typhoon2000
    • By Typhoon2000 3rd Jan 14, 10:34 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    Typhoon2000
    • 3rd Jan 14, 10:34 PM
    • 3rd Jan 14, 10:34 PM
    What's this bubble. Prices were lower in 2009 but people still were not able to get mortgages to buy. Prices are now higher and people those people can't afford to buy. If prices fall in the future, interest rates will probably be so high, people won't be able to afford the higher repayments on their lower priced properties.

I think we all have to accept that there will be more people who will never be able to buy their own home. Times are changing. More people will have to rent like most of Europe.
    • AndyGuil
    • By AndyGuil 4th Jan 14, 12:58 AM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 1,261 Thanks
    AndyGuil
    • 4th Jan 14, 12:58 AM
    • 4th Jan 14, 12:58 AM
    Excellent news for who? I want my child to be able to afford a house in a few years, not have to reply on me for a handout I can't afford on top of university fees. This bubble will eventually burst just like all the others.
    Originally posted by Running Horse
    You don't pay university fees up front anymore. They are paid through the tax from the person that went to university if they earn over a certain amount. The parents don't pay anything. The system changed a few years ago.
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 4th Jan 14, 3:08 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    • 4th Jan 14, 3:08 AM
    • 4th Jan 14, 3:08 AM
    trully amazing given that incomes are stagnating, energy prices are riseing at three times average salaries, train fares are up about 3% and food prices are riseing too
  • harpoboy
    • 4th Jan 14, 8:44 AM
    • 4th Jan 14, 8:44 AM
    The good news on this morning's radio news was that First Time Buyer numbers are driving much of this improvement in the housing market
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 4th Jan 14, 11:26 AM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 2,552 Thanks
    JohnRo
    • 4th Jan 14, 11:26 AM
    • 4th Jan 14, 11:26 AM
    What sort of a "recovery" is built on inflated non-productive asset prices.

All good pyramids need to suck in new investors. Help to buy into the insolvent bank bailout housing bubble at the expense of savings and pensions seems to be working as intended, pandering to smug mortgage welfare recipients in time for the next election.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
    • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • By HAMISH_MCTAVISH 4th Jan 14, 1:22 PM
    • 26,030 Posts
    • 59,309 Thanks
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    What sort of a "recovery" is built on inflated non-productive asset prices.

All good pyramids need to suck in new investors. Help to buy into the insolvent bank bailout housing bubble at the expense of savings and pensions seems to be working as intended, pandering to smug mortgage welfare recipients in time for the next election.
    Originally posted by JohnRo
    Thanks for playing today's round of 'Crashaholic Bingo'.

Unfortunately, you missed out "crumbling piles of bricks" so no prize for you.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
    -- President John F. Kennedy”
    • squeeks
    • By squeeks 6th Jan 14, 6:41 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    squeeks
    If prices are up by 8%+ shouldn't this be an indicator of where the mortgage interest rates are heading shortly?
  • Turnbull2000
    If prices are up by 8%+ shouldn't this be an indicator of where the mortgage interest rates are heading shortly?
    Originally posted by squeeks
    Yes, either static or down to 0.25%.

When unemployment finally hits 7%, expect the Bank of England to 'redefine' or adjust the benchmark for a baserate rise.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

724Posts Today

5,057Users online

Martin's Twitter