Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • SnowyOwl
    • By SnowyOwl 22nd Jun 05, 11:14 PM
    • 5,126 Posts
    • 14,802 Thanks
    SnowyOwl
    • 22nd Jun 05, 11:14 PM
    • 22nd Jun 05, 11:14 PM
    Hi there, hope it's not too late! Apparently if you put potato in that should absorb some of the salt - then just fish it out before serving.

• crana999
    • By crana999 23rd Jun 05, 6:24 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    • 23rd Jun 05, 6:24 PM
    • 23rd Jun 05, 6:24 PM
    or you could try adding a load of extra veg or something.
  • £Ronnie
    • 10th Jan 06, 4:40 PM
    How to counteract salty taste?
    • 10th Jan 06, 4:40 PM
    Myself and DD spent some time this afternoon making some celery and stilton soup to use up some Christmas leftovers but it tastes soooo salty. I am really confused by this as I didn't add any salt!???:confused:

Wondering if I added to much stilton, and is there anything I can add to counteract the taste otherwise its going in the bin?

TIA
    Ronnie.X
    Trying to tidy and clean while the kids are still growing, is like trying to clear snow even though it's still snowing
    £2 coin savings= £6
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 10th Jan 06, 4:41 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 10th Jan 06, 4:41 PM
    • 10th Jan 06, 4:41 PM
    Drop a couple of peeled uncooked potatoes in your soup, this will absorb quite a bit of salt. Leave them for about 15 mins then check the taste, if still too salty keep checking every 5 mins or so.

HTH
  • £Ronnie
    • 10th Jan 06, 4:46 PM
    • 10th Jan 06, 4:46 PM
    Cheers for that, you're a legend, and so prompt!
    Now this is going to make me sound even more daft, but does it matter if the soup has already gone cold?
    Trying to tidy and clean while the kids are still growing, is like trying to clear snow even though it's still snowing
    £2 coin savings= £6
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 10th Jan 06, 5:20 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 10th Jan 06, 5:20 PM
    • 10th Jan 06, 5:20 PM
    Now that's a question I'm not sure of......... hmm. Let me get back to you on that one.
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 10th Jan 06, 5:25 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 10th Jan 06, 5:25 PM
    • 10th Jan 06, 5:25 PM
    OK, having consulted my fellow BG's for advice on this, the general consens is that you will need to heat the soup before putting the potato in, otherwise it will just sit in the soup and not do anything.

Don't forget to remove the poatao before it is fully cooked or you'll have celery, stilton and potato soup!!

Hope this sorted out your problem
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 10th Jan 06, 6:12 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 10th Jan 06, 6:12 PM
    • 10th Jan 06, 6:12 PM
    And cut the tater up into pieces - that way you get more surface area to help absorb the salt through. Just remember that smaller pieces cook a bit faster so reduce the time they are in for

Sorry ark, I forgot to mention that when we were talking about this one.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 10th Jan 06, 6:20 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    And watch that the potatos dont become to soft, if they do before the saltiness has gone, remove and put some fresh potatos in!!!
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 10th Jan 06, 6:45 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 16,860 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Why can't she leave the potatoes in long enough to cook them (cut into small chunks), then put the soup through the blender again? Seems a shame to waste the spuds, and it will increase the volume, so make extra to be frozen for another day.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• comping cat
    • By comping cat 10th Jan 06, 6:51 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    Thats fine if you want potato in your soup, but i would also think that the salt the potatos soaks up, would then go back into the soup!!!! Mind you, maybe the extra volume might help with the salty taste!!
  • £Ronnie
    Well who would have thought it was so complicated?:confused:

Following all your advice the plan is:
    Put cubes of raw potato into warmed up soup, leave to absorb salt, taste test, taste test until salty taste gone, then taste potato cube to see if it is salty, if not liquidise the whole lot together, if it is then remove all potato and enjoy soup.....

Thanks all!
    Ronnie.
    £2 coin savings= £6
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 10th Jan 06, 9:26 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    no problem, it's what we are here for!
    • I want a house
    • By I want a house 10th Oct 06, 3:35 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    I want a house
    Too much salt in casserole!
    Hi everyone, newbie here.

Got a disaster, I made chicken casserole but with the bacon in it, it was way too salty and my kids wouldn't eat it (surprise,surprise). Problem is, I've got another batch that I put in the freezer, any way of reducing the salt??? :confused:

Thankyou in advance
  • Hegarts
    Cook it up again but put a potato in with it - this absorbs the salt as it cooks. However, you'll have to eat it without freezing it again as it's already been frozen once.
    If I was 7 ft 3, I'd be the right height for my weight
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 10th Oct 06, 3:39 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Some ideas here might help.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 10th Oct 06, 3:40 PM
    • 7,857 Posts
    • 28,001 Thanks
    Nicki
    Putting a raw potato in when you are reheating it, then discarding when hot, would work for soup and can't see why wouldn't work for casserole too. There is a recent thread about salty soup which has other ideas which might help too.
    • I want a house
    • By I want a house 10th Oct 06, 3:50 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    I want a house
    Thanks for that guys, also can I freeze baby carrots that come from a tin and can i just microwave them from frozen when I need to use them?
    • tryhard
    • By tryhard 25th Oct 06, 8:20 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    tryhard
    ways to reduce salt in cooking
    has anyone got any great tips?
    mine are
    1.add salt just at the end of cooking - need much lesser
    2.try alternative tastes balsalmic vinegar in dressings
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

2,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin