Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 20th Nov 13, 7:19 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 20th Nov 13, 7:19 PM
    • 20th Nov 13, 7:19 PM
    If I'm dealing with an unknown brand, I usually pay with credit card, because the credit card company can get the money back. The credit card fee is effectively an insurance premium I pay.

Debit cards do not have the same protection, unless they say so.
    I think this is because the money is actually transferred out of your current account, so it's really gone.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 20th Nov 13, 9:29 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    • 20th Nov 13, 9:29 PM
    • 20th Nov 13, 9:29 PM
    Look the firm up here.

If it doesn't come up then it is not a real broker.

If you are not sure, call the number on the "basic details link for the firm and double check.
    • minislim
    • By minislim 21st Nov 13, 9:18 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    minislim
    • 21st Nov 13, 9:18 AM
    • 21st Nov 13, 9:18 AM
    again it all boils down to con merchants either turning up on your doorstep or ringing you on your phone.

would you just hand money over to a complete stranger if they turned up on your doorstep.

its about time cold calling was banned in this country. its being abused far too much and too many people are the victims of cons like these.

yes there are a few legitimate companies who still try the cold calling technique but its about time they come out of the dark ages.
    • sithemadmonkey
    • By sithemadmonkey 21st Nov 13, 12:56 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    sithemadmonkey
    • 21st Nov 13, 12:56 PM
    • 21st Nov 13, 12:56 PM
    It's surprising how clever the fraudsters are getting though. Some have set up professional-looking websites (e.g. Aston Midshires), and others will 'clone' an authorised firm (i.e. use their name and authorisation number so that they appear to be on the register). Many will specifically target those who are new to the country and so have poor knowledge of both English and insurance requirements.

As the age-old mantra goes - if it's too good to be true (and isn't recommended on MSE), it usually is!
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 22nd Nov 13, 10:01 PM
    • 3,580 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 22nd Nov 13, 10:01 PM
    • 22nd Nov 13, 10:01 PM
    If I'm dealing with an unknown brand, I usually pay with credit card, because the credit card company can get the money back. The credit card fee is effectively an insurance premium I pay.

Debit cards do not have the same protection, unless they say so.
    I think this is because the money is actually transferred out of your current account, so it's really gone.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    That still won't help you when your car's been seized by the police, and you've got points on your licence for driving while uninsured.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 23rd Nov 13, 12:24 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    • 23rd Nov 13, 12:24 PM
    • 23rd Nov 13, 12:24 PM
    There is also a spate of bogus companies giving weak addresses that appear to provide an entry in the Financial Services register but in fact are bogus.

The link I gave above is genuine but if you cannot remember it, if you go to www.fca.org.uk you will find a link at the top right that says "Financial Services Register" click on that and then a link to Financial Services Firm Search.

Look for them there - and check the web and trading address there matches the one given to you by the firm itself.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,495Posts Today

5,999Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin