Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 22nd Jun 05, 5:38 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    How the site has grown
    • 22nd Jun 05, 5:38 PM
    How the site has grown 22nd Jun 05 at 5:38 PM
    If you think this site looks good now you should see what my old home page looked like before I launched the site proper.

Well you can. MoneySaver Tony H recently found a website where you can see what your favourite websites used to look like. You'll notice there's no forum and the email tips were very different.

What it used to look like.

Now I'm feeling nostalgic.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 22-06-2005 at 6:24 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 22nd Jun 05, 5:58 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 22nd Jun 05, 5:58 PM
    • 22nd Jun 05, 5:58 PM
    It's very ...errr.... black. Have to say I much prefer this new and improved version and as a self confessed MSEaholic, where would we be now without the chat forum?

Also, you haven't changed a bit - but which is the reversed photo we see of you? This one or the old one?
    • Trow
    • By Trow 22nd Jun 05, 9:11 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 22nd Jun 05, 9:11 PM
    • 22nd Jun 05, 9:11 PM
    I quite like the simplicity and colour scheme of the old site - but the content of this one is much better
  • elvis_bloggs
    • 22nd Jun 05, 10:30 PM
    • 22nd Jun 05, 10:30 PM
    Reminds me of the days of black and white telly.

• robnye
    • By robnye 22nd Jun 05, 11:27 PM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    robnye
    • 22nd Jun 05, 11:27 PM
    • 22nd Jun 05, 11:27 PM
    obviously before the days of colour and mpegs...... no piccy of martin............!
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to....
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 23rd Jun 05, 12:02 AM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    • 23rd Jun 05, 12:02 AM
    • 23rd Jun 05, 12:02 AM
    Black and white suits you Martin very dashing!!!

But I do prefer the coloured version......although I liked the last site before this one too....don't know how many sites you've had????!!!!

Congratulations and thanks for what you done for everyone.

Have a glass of wine and a trip down memory lane!!
    • Frogling
    • By Frogling 23rd Jun 05, 3:07 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Frogling
    • 23rd Jun 05, 3:07 PM
    • 23rd Jun 05, 3:07 PM
    How on earth did anyone cope without the chat forums lol!?! I think I'd have withdrawal symptoms if you ever took them away (in fact, I did have the shakes when the upgrade was being done a while ago!)
    • zodiac
    • By zodiac 23rd Jun 05, 6:21 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    zodiac
    • 23rd Jun 05, 6:21 PM
    • 23rd Jun 05, 6:21 PM
    Looks better now and where would we be without our chat and money saving ideas that we swap.
    Have to say I like the photos in the funny money gallery

Well done for bringing MSE to where it is today and I raise a glass for many years to come
    I remember when this was just a little website!
  • paulmorg
    • 23rd Jun 05, 6:45 PM
    • 23rd Jun 05, 6:45 PM
    I see there was a tactical decision to switch Martin's hand from right to left
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • criminal_smile
    Hmmmmm....that site TonyH found looks suspiciously like the one I posted here a number of days ago. Plagiurism....on this site?????

It was all a bit dark and brooding back then though. Not exactly the rainbow skied, fun-filled playground it has become since. But still doing good work.
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the Board Drunk for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
  • NMc106
    http://web.archive.org/web/19970428002851/www.bbc.co.uk/

Look at the bbc website when first opened in 1996!!
  • NMc106
    eBay in 1999!!!

http://web.archive.org/web/19991007045904/http://www.ebay.co.uk/

The images seem to appear then turn into grey spaces after a few seconds though
  • wirm
    ah back in the day!
  • Foxy
    how did they cope without the forum:confused:
    It is not what you give your friend, but what you are willing to give him that determines the quality of friendship. -- Mary Dixon Thayer
    • zodiac
    • By zodiac 5th Jul 05, 11:19 AM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    zodiac
    how did they cope without the forum:confused:
    by Foxy
    I dont think we will ever know Foxy........
    I remember when this was just a little website!
  • angel
    I remember when it was like that. I even had a personal reply from Martin one evening when I asked a question about calling abroad.

When I joined there were 250 members! How many are there now?
    "here, hare, here"
    • choccyface2006
    • By choccyface2006 29th Jan 07, 3:11 PM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    choccyface2006
    Thats a very mysterious photo Martin! You look like you belong on a Milk tray commercial
    Last edited by choccyface2006; 29-01-2007 at 8:07 PM.
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 29th Jan 07, 5:32 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 2,797 Thanks
    Carmen
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,094Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin