Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 8th Nov 13, 11:12 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    '10 things about work, life and money every graduate should know' blog discussion
    • 8th Nov 13, 11:12 AM
    '10 things about work, life and money every graduate should know' blog discussion 8th Nov 13 at 11:12 AM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 1
    • Rafter
    • By Rafter 8th Nov 13, 12:54 PM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    Rafter
    • 8th Nov 13, 12:54 PM
    • 8th Nov 13, 12:54 PM
    Thanks for sharing Martin - a great list of advice and pearls of wisdom - wish my graduation speech had been as useful/ memorable.

The biggest one for me is having the right attitude to debt. As a society I think we would all be better off if access to unsecured credit was lower and we werent allowed to borrow more than 25% of our income unless it was for an asset such as a house or car. Even then the repayment should be high so we aren't paying for a night out, food or petrol over a year after we spent the money.

It would take some adjustment, but I believe as a society we would be much better off, much less wasteful and much more appreciative if many of us weren't slaves to debt.

R.
    Smile , it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 10th Nov 13, 8:05 AM
    • 10,253 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 10th Nov 13, 8:05 AM
    • 10th Nov 13, 8:05 AM
    "ASSET" and CAR are not two words I would put together!
    The costs of owning and running a car can mean your ASSET is losing you money every week/month.
    educated into a world of debt
  • real1314
    • 10th Nov 13, 2:13 PM
    • 10th Nov 13, 2:13 PM
    The costs of owning and running a car can mean your ASSET is losing you money every week/month.
    Originally posted by dimbo61
    Equate a car to a machine in a factory.

The machine costs money, requires energy and maintenance, loses value; just like a car.

The machine produces something of greater value than the sum cost of its requirements. e.g a product.

You could hire a machine, which might reduce the initial cost, value loss and maintenance; but it would probably cost more overall. (Hire car)

You could get someone else to produce the product, but you'd have less control, flexibility and economy of scale. (Public Transport)

The "product" of a car could be a cash saving over alternatives, could be the extra flexibility, but is more often a time saving.

Time is something that you should place value on and should account for in your spending plans.

These are the reasons why a car can be an asset.
    • ashleyriot
    • By ashleyriot 11th Nov 13, 7:54 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    ashleyriot
    • 11th Nov 13, 7:54 AM
    • 11th Nov 13, 7:54 AM
    Time is something that you should place value on and should account for in your spending plans.
    Originally posted by real1314
    Seconded - at the very least, know your hourly wage and add another 50% on for tax and NI.

Then you'll know if it's worth it.
  • Atidi
    • 13th Nov 13, 6:19 PM
    • 13th Nov 13, 6:19 PM
    Originally posted by dimbo61
    Read here to understand what the financial term 'Asset' really means

http://www.investorwords.com/273/asset.html

Most assets reduce in value over time and/or with use.
    Real Estate is about the only odd ball in that regard, and that probably is more to do with the pressures of supply & demand.

Depreciation of assets is something that can be offset against tax in the business world, and you will find this in almost all company accounts ... but the rules associated with personal taxation are quite different.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,843Posts Today

6,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin