Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • emweaver
    • By emweaver 1st Nov 13, 8:41 PM
    • 8,227 Posts
    • 184,220 Thanks
    emweaver
    • 1st Nov 13, 8:41 PM
    • 1st Nov 13, 8:41 PM
    If ATOL only covered package holidays and flights, is there no protection at all for hotel only bookings?
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, 15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
    • fight2survive2013
    • By fight2survive2013 1st Nov 13, 10:36 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    fight2survive2013
    • 1st Nov 13, 10:36 PM
    • 1st Nov 13, 10:36 PM
    lowcostholidays are the worse company I have the misfortune of booking with. booked holiday to Egypt 2 years ago, arrived at hotel after 6 hour flight and room hadn't even been booked, told my hotel was another 15 miles away in the middle of nowhere.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 2nd Nov 13, 9:15 AM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 2nd Nov 13, 9:15 AM
    • 2nd Nov 13, 9:15 AM
    Most accommodation only suppliers provide no financial protection at all. They are not legally obliged to and this may explain why it can be cheaper to buy a holiday this way. Low Cost Beds are based in Switzerland for VAT purposes and others are based in Dubai. Just because there is an English name doesn't mean the business is based here. Low Cost may be ahead of the game, EU proposals to "improve" consumer protection suggest that package organisers should be allowed to provide financial protection from any country they like within the EU, if your operator fails in the future, it may not be the CAA you deal with but a civil servant in Bulgaria or Latvia, this will make Spain seem like a dream!
  • Mwjd
    • 3rd Nov 13, 2:18 PM
    • 3rd Nov 13, 2:18 PM
    We have a holiday booked for 18th November, hotel etc & then flights with Thomas Cook (through lowcostholidays)

Where do we stand?
    We have since paid additional for seat & extra baggage (direct through thomas cook), will this form part of the refund?
    Can we still get 100% refund at this late stage?

Thanks in advance
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 3rd Nov 13, 3:12 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 3rd Nov 13, 3:12 PM
    • 3rd Nov 13, 3:12 PM
    It appears that Low Cost are offering passengers 7 days to cancel and have a full refund. However before you decide to do anything, consider whether you believe LCH are going to go bust in 2 weeks time, remember that Thomas Cook Airlines will not refund additional fees paid for seats and luggage and consider whether you could actually buy the holiday any cheaper anyway? In most cases, you should probably stick with what you have, if your holiday was 9 months away you might have a different view.

You should have an ATOL Certificate, if that says in the right corner "Package Holiday" then you should still be protected under Spanish law (no, I have no idea how they provide protection) but if you have a Certificate marked " Flight Plus" then you will no longer be protected as Flight Plus is purely a UK concept that does not exist anywhere else.

Bottom line, risk of immediate failure is probably zero so unless you have broken your leg and have no insurance and wondered how you could get your money back, stick with the holiday
  • Former MSE Tim
    • 6th Nov 13, 3:09 PM
    • 6th Nov 13, 3:09 PM
    Update 6 Nov 2013: All customers who booked Atol-protected holidays with Lowcostholidays before 1 November will keep their Atol protection, despite being told by the travel firm this would not be the case, the CAA has confirmed. The CAA says it made this move due to the lack of notice and information given to both it and customers about Lowcostholidays' move to Spain. Lowcostholidays bookings made from 1 November onwards will not be covered by an Atol certificate.
    • DMHReaper72
    • By DMHReaper72 7th Nov 13, 4:16 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DMHReaper72
    • 7th Nov 13, 4:16 PM
    • 7th Nov 13, 4:16 PM
    Does anybody have an email address for this company as I need to get some cancellation documentation from them in writing?
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

You can be a king or a street sweeper, but sooner or later everybody dances with The Reaper
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Jan 14, 1:06 PM
    • 34,926 Posts
    • 40,993 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th Jan 14, 1:06 PM
    • 11th Jan 14, 1:06 PM
    Noticed they are advertising on TV at the moment

Wonder how many people realise about this
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 11th Jan 14, 3:08 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Very few it appears. The CAA suggest that the financial protection scheme they are now using in Majorca provides no repatriation if a business fails only a refund, fine if you haven't started to travel, not great if you happen to be half way around the world.

Every EU country is supposed to have financial protection in place for package holidays but many of us now like to book flights and accommodation separately, these are only protected in the UK, and called a Flight-Plus sale, but booking the same way overseas has no protection at all. You pay your money and take your choice, or is that risk?
    • tamiami
    • By tamiami 11th Jan 14, 6:51 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    tamiami
    They are now based in Majorca so you have no UK cover whatsoever. If the holiday goes fine then great, if you have problems then to take them to court you have to travel to Spain! They know that you probably wouldn't do that due to the cost so they can mess you around as much as they like. You can take a chance that all goes fine, but to pay a few quid more for a UK based company would be my preference.
    • CharlieRabbit01
    • By CharlieRabbit01 13th Jan 14, 3:10 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    CharlieRabbit01
    I've been looking to book my holiday through low cost and just seen this thread, what does no ATOL protection mean?

I was planning to book my flights, Hotel, transfers etc through them individually rather than as a package deal through somewhere like Thomson or First Choice.

Am I best avoiding them?
    • Moto2
    • By Moto2 13th Jan 14, 3:28 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    Moto2
    With ATOL protection you would not be stranded abroad should the company cease trading whilst you're away, among other things

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1080&pagetype=70&gid=2505
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
    • CharlieRabbit01
    • By CharlieRabbit01 13th Jan 14, 3:32 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    CharlieRabbit01
    I presume therefore their new spanish protection wouldnt cover this?
  • Summerdazs
    I booked a holiday package with lowcost holidays on the 14th nov 2013 fir 5th July 2014 which I believe means I will not be covered by Atol protection. However I booked the holiday using a credit card, does this then mean I will have protection via the credit card or will I not be covered because of the 3rd party rule? Ie actual flight with easy jet and lowcost pay them? Also can I cancel my holiday with lowcost without loosing deposit at this stage?
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 26th Jan 14, 7:39 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Your Easyjet flights have to be booked and paid for at the same time. You should have a 6 digit reference number and if you do, the flights are safe, Easyjet are not going to go bust.

What you are dependent on Low Cost for is the accommodation, some they book direct with a hotel, some they book through yet another booking agent and obviously if they don't pay, you will be asked to pay again. If you have a direct contract with Low Cost for the hotel, the credit card will cover you, if they have booked through another agency they may not.

This leaves you having to make a claim against the Majorcan financial protection scheme if they fail, perhaps learn the words for "Help I am stranded, my operator has gone bust" in Spanish just in case, although no one seems to know who you are actually supposed to contact anyway....In truth I doubt there is much of a risk, the real problems will start when other companies follow suit but chose Latvia, Bulgaria or Romania to provide financial protection because it may be cheaper than the ATOL scheme
    Last edited by Alan Bowen; 27-01-2014 at 9:40 AM.
    • Saint_Chris
    • By Saint_Chris 26th Jan 14, 8:57 PM
    • 3,792 Posts
    • 3,729 Thanks
    Saint_Chris
    I have a hotel booked in Berlin for 3 nights in June, we only paid a deposit, it was a good price when we booked it, and I've used lowcost before to turkey a few times and never had any problems.

Should I contact lowcost to see if everything is ok, or just wait till april and pay the balance off and hope for the best.

thanks
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 27th Jan 14, 9:42 AM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Low cost never provided financial protection for accommodation only bookings anyway, so your position hasn't changed and with respect, if you call them to ask if 'everything is OK?' would you really expect them to say anything other than 'of course it is?'
  • Robsta86
    I have been looking at holidays on lastminute.com, and I am aware that they use lowcostholidays as their travel agent. I assume it is exactly the same as if I booked directly with lowcostholidays? Therefore they are not ATOL protected!
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 21st Feb 14, 6:17 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    If your contract is with Low Cost Holidays there is no ATOL protection, pure and simple. Whether that is something you should worry about is entirely up to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,097Posts Today

5,667Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin