Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • laptop80
    • By laptop80 29th Oct 13, 2:36 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    laptop80
    • 29th Oct 13, 2:36 PM
    • 29th Oct 13, 2:36 PM
    At the moment, 57% of people have voted to scrap the licence fee and have the BBC funded by ads.

It's a shame that people no longer value the BBC as being different from commercial broadcasters like ITV, but that's probably the fault of the BBC themselves.

Years ago I would've argued that the BBC was a lot more than just ITV without the adverts, but as they've actively tried to compete with shows like the X-Factor by putting out their own dross I don't think you can really say that anymore.

They have done so to justify the licence fee, e.g. "We're making TV that people want to watch - look at our great viewing figures" but all it has really done is removed some of the reason for it to exist. I don't care what anyone says - it's not in the public interest to vomit Hole in the Wall over our TV screens just to take eyeballs away from whatever rubbish ITV happens to be putting on at the time. The BBC's job shouldn't be to act as a tabloid and give people whatever will catch their interest for 5 minutes.

Personally, I think the BBC website is worth most of the licence fee on its own, but with shockingly low quality TV output (e.g. any current BBC comedy you could care to mention) and their impartiality when reporting on the news called into question, I can see why people begrudge paying it.
    • Mulder00
    • By Mulder00 29th Oct 13, 2:42 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    Mulder00
    • 29th Oct 13, 2:42 PM
    • 29th Oct 13, 2:42 PM
    I think it is unfair towards people who don't watch or don't want to watch BBC to be forced into paying for it and think that practice should immediately stop.

I would however not mind at all to continue paying to actually watch the BBC (thus on a subscription basis). The only problem I foresee already is that there will be many "unsubscribers" causing a loss in revenue and therefore a loss in programming quality (unless they start agreeing to a little bit of advertising??).
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 29th Oct 13, 2:52 PM
    • 40,229 Posts
    • 309,663 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 29th Oct 13, 2:52 PM
    • 29th Oct 13, 2:52 PM
    You are missing an important (money saving) option

scrap the licence fee and fund from general taxation

That would get rid off all the costs and resources involved in collection of the fee, court time for evaders etc so the total cost of providing the same income would be less, the massive TV licence database could also be deleted and retailers would not have to waste time getting TV buyers details to pass them on.
    With the growth of "catch-up tv" the licence will soon have to be extended anyway, probably to include broadband, to maintain the same level of income.
  • sntsj268
    • 29th Oct 13, 3:10 PM
    • 29th Oct 13, 3:10 PM
    Something I feel very strongly about and the main issue I have with the licence fee, though there are a few, is lack of impartiality and the fact the BBC is really a government conduit for whatever spin they want to put out on any particular story. Licence funded BBC = government puppet.
    • kaya
    • By kaya 29th Oct 13, 3:14 PM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    kaya
    • 29th Oct 13, 3:14 PM
    • 29th Oct 13, 3:14 PM
    They want to stop funding the peadophiles ? Whatever next, you'll be telling me they were all high on coke at the taxpayers expense in the 70's and 80's ! Oh wait, they were weren't they :-)
    The licence fee was granted royal consent to the BBC , the fact that the Beeb think you should pay them a fee to watch other completely unrelated channels now or face imprisonment and hefty fines shows how corrupt it has become , good riddance to bad rubbish!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 29th Oct 13, 3:29 PM
    • 11,900 Posts
    • 13,338 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 29th Oct 13, 3:29 PM
    • 29th Oct 13, 3:29 PM
    People can see with their own viewing eyes that very little of what the BBC does is truly distinctive. (In reality it often insists on "me too" TV, having seen something working on another channel, which there is no excuse for).

If you took C4 group, ITV, Sky Atlantic & Arts, there can't be much left that the BBC has genuinely all to itself - perhaps they are able to spend just that little bit more on films and docs for BBC Four than anyone else can, but that's probably it.

Personally, I don't see a lot of party political bias on the BBC. Certain presenters can't seem to resist putting down whatever hapless politician happens to be in front of them at the time, and whilst I think that's pretty pointless, it does seem to be party balanced.

I do perceive bias in the "big issues". The BBC has an active agenda with Climate Change, Multiculturalism, Europe, America, and the Middle East. Whilst any of those issues are open to multiple legitimate angles, I don't think the BBC should be taking sides (more often than not from a left-liberal perspective).

Add to all of that the questionable legality and social (ir)responsibility of its Licence Fee enforcement regime, and I think there is plenty of reason to look for reform of the BBC.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • trollopscarletwoman
    • By trollopscarletwoman 29th Oct 13, 3:35 PM
    • 7,927 Posts
    • 10,333 Thanks
    trollopscarletwoman
    • 29th Oct 13, 3:35 PM
    • 29th Oct 13, 3:35 PM
    Am I correct in thinking that if you only watch programmes on the various computer i players then a licence is not required?

Because of the delay!

If I had my way I wouldn't have one. The mrs is frightened of the knock on the door.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 29th Oct 13, 3:46 PM
    • 11,900 Posts
    • 13,338 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 29th Oct 13, 3:46 PM
    • 29th Oct 13, 3:46 PM
    Am I correct in thinking that if you only watch programmes on the various computer i players then a licence is not required?

Because of the delay!

If I had my way I wouldn't have one.
    Originally posted by trollopscarletwoman
    You don't need a licence if you only watch pre-recorded stuff (DVDs, Video Games) or Catch-up (iPlayer,40D etc.)

You need a licence if you watch or record TV broadcasts.

The mrs is frightened of the knock on the door.
    That's not a great reason. And they have no real powers, anyway.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Zanandu
    When the BBC was founded it was the only television channel. The programmes were original and worth watching. Now considering how much we pay for the license and how often I watch the BBC I personally don't think they offer value for money. A lot of the programmes are repeats. I would rather put up with adverts and have extra money in my pocket. As for the radio, yes again, and also on line, I don't mind putting up with adverts.
    • ElkyElky
    • By ElkyElky 29th Oct 13, 6:32 PM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    ElkyElky
    You are missing an important (money saving) option

scrap the licence fee and fund from general taxation

That would get rid off all the costs and resources involved in collection of the fee, court time for evaders etc so the total cost of providing the same income would be less, the massive TV licence database could also be deleted and retailers would not have to waste time getting TV buyers details to pass them on.
    With the growth of "catch-up tv" the licence will soon have to be extended anyway, probably to include broadband, to maintain the same level of income.
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    Retailers don't need to inform TVL anymore. That was abolished some months ago.

Not sure if retailers in practice have stopped asking customers for their information when purchasing a TV but they're no longer required to by law. If a retailer does, then the customer should shop elsewhere in my opinion.

The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1967 (as amended) has been repealed, meaning that from 25 June 2013 onwards you no longer need to send us customer name and address details when you sell or rent out TV equipment. This also means your business no longer has to keep sales records to comply with the law on TV Licensing. If you don’t need these records for anything else you can destroy them from 25 June.
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/business-and-organisations/tv-dealers-aud18/
    Last edited by ElkyElky; 29-10-2013 at 6:36 PM.
    Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 29th Oct 13, 6:51 PM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    Poll started 29 Oct 2013

A TV licence costs £145.50 a year for any home with a colour TV, regardless of whether you watch the BBC or not (see TV Licence Saving). But all the money raised pays for the BBC - that's TV, radio, regional programmes, BBC Online and their associated costs (full details).

Conservative Party chairman Grant Shapps sent a warning shot to the BBC this week about the licence fee, saying he would consider opening up the cash so other broadcasters could apply for some.

Which of the options in this week's poll is closest to your view?

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below clicking reply to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

To see the results from last time, click this.
    Originally posted by MSE Debs
    None of the above.

BBC television and radio services are so universal that I'd happily see the BBC public broadcasting service funded from general taxation with minimal advertising allowed only between programs and from the sales of programs to foreign broadcasters. Programs which are not profitable and serve minimal public service should be scrapped or sold to commercial channels to continue.

On a personal note I do not pay for a TV Licence and watch BBC and other broadcasters programs on iPlayer and the internet after broadcast. I also listen to BBC radio such as BBC WM, BBC Radio Derby and BBC Radio 1 all of which are funded by the TV Licence. I also use the BBC News website funded again by TV Licence payers.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
  • ferrit44
    I'm sure others have already said similar, but I begrudge having to pay for a TV licence and watch nothing, or indeed listen to none of the BBC radio channels, purely so I can watch things on Sky.

I pay enough for that already as it is, the licence fee on top is basically like paying for nothing.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 29th Oct 13, 9:13 PM
    • 3,379 Posts
    • 3,334 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    I'd prefer to have adverts in between as it gives you time to make a drink and a sandwich inbetween and discuss the programme that has happened. I think advertisers think we get bought in by it all but realistically I think word of mouth is more important, but if it stopped us all wasting another tax on the tv licence for watching a bit of rubbish advertising i'm all for it
    roll on 27th April 2019 or there abouts *40 done* = *0 to go* waiting
    • danny_x
    • By danny_x 29th Oct 13, 9:16 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    danny_x
    Should the TV licence fee be scrapped?
    The BBC licence costs £145.50/year. It may sound a lot, but for this we get at least 4 TV channels, 4 national radio channels, local radio and the website, which also provides catch up TV & radio.

How much does Sky cost? At least twice that for their films and sports packages, on top of which you have to put up with a huge amount of advertising. (When Sky Sports News was available on Freeview, I used to sometimes switch to it, until I realised that over half the time I would hit an ad break, which means that it was over 50% adverts!)

I don't watch that much TV, but I still think that the BBC provides good value as it is now. Of course it could be better; the website used to be a more comprehensive source of information, but it appears to have been trimmed back in order to allow competitors to charge for their products, and the news "reporting" is that of an establishment mouthpiece, especially over the recent NHS Act and Palestine.

Although general taxation is less regressive than a flat licence fee, I fear that any changes to the funding would make things worse. As for advertising, I am thankful that I can watch some programmes or listen to the radio without continually being told that I should be out buying something.
    • chib
    • By chib 29th Oct 13, 9:19 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    chib
    I'm happy paying the £145 a year and prefer to watch TV Shows on BBC due to the lack of adverts, however I benefit most from it by listening to BBC R2 in the morning and on way home from work where the local stations broadcast the same adverts every 10 minutes or so.

The same goes for CBeebies, my kids can watch that quite happily but if they are watching Nick Jr there is a new toy on the screen every 10 minutes.
    Last edited by chib; 29-10-2013 at 9:25 PM.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 29th Oct 13, 9:21 PM
    • 17,252 Posts
    • 26,858 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    I think the licence fee is very good value for money.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • ManAtHome
    • By ManAtHome 29th Oct 13, 9:35 PM
    • 8,200 Posts
    • 5,327 Thanks
    ManAtHome
    Are they talking about scrapping the license fee, or moving some of the loot in the direction of their mates (or cobbers)... As they say, be careful what you wish for.
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 29th Oct 13, 9:41 PM
    • 11,636 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    Meh, I pay £145/year.

I listen to the local BBC radio each way in the car (2 hours total) every day - and if I'm not listening to that then I'm listening to R4.

I'll look at the BBC news website at least once a day to catch up on events.

I watch the formula 1 on the weekends, match of the day, as well as the 6 nations coverage, wimbledon, snooker etc.

I watch Strictly and The Voice when they're on and a couple of mainstream comedies. I really enjoy things like Dr Who and Sherlock, too.

BBC3 and BBC4 have some really fascinating (if somewhat "budget", at times) documentaries and early stages comedy. (I was quite sad to see the end of How Not To Live Your Life)

...and all of that is before any account is made of the enormous contribution the BBC make toward television infrastructure and communication worldwide, the work they do to bring communities together, the advancements they drive in science, the relatively impartial news coverage they provide and the support they give to countless initiatives around the world.

I'm not claiming the beeb are perfect, but I'm actually pretty proud to live in a country that has a BBC and would happily fund them, however they want to collect the money.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 29th Oct 13, 10:15 PM
    • 11,900 Posts
    • 13,338 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    For those people who use the BBC a lot, I'm sure that it represents good value for money. The question is whether everyone should be required to contribute if they want to watch any TV channels.

the advancements they drive in science
    Originally posted by Idiophreak
    D'you mean teletext?

however they want to collect the money.
    I can't agree with that - some of their tactics are completely unacceptable in a civil society. And most of what they do under the TVL guise is well beyond what is acceptable in support of mere TV.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 29-10-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,182Posts Today

6,353Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin