Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 23rd Oct 13, 1:18 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Energy firms will face 'competition test', PM says
    • 23rd Oct 13, 1:18 PM
    MSE News: Energy firms will face 'competition test', PM says 23rd Oct 13 at 1:18 PM
    "The Government is to launch a 'proper competition test' to see whether the energy market can be made more competitive..."

Read the full story:

Energy firms will face 'competition test', PM says

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • DragonQ
    • By DragonQ 23rd Oct 13, 1:45 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DragonQ
    • 23rd Oct 13, 1:45 PM
    • 23rd Oct 13, 1:45 PM
    Good. Hopefully something useful will come of it.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 23rd Oct 13, 2:03 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:03 PM
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:03 PM
    Archna Luthra, MoneySavingExpert.com energy analyst, says: ...

"Currently it can take weeks to switch energy provider when all that changes is the bill payer – you can switch a bank account in seven days and a mobile contract even quicker. Suppliers are undermining the switching process and this must be remedied to shake up competition."
    It should only take 7 days to switch supplier according to the regulator.

But that 7 days doesn't start until the expiry of the cooling off period.

Are you suggesting the cooling off period should be scrapped, making it easier for suppliers to slam other suppliers customers onto their own tariffs that may not be appropraite for their needs?

I don't think you will garner much support for that idea.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 23rd Oct 13, 2:30 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:30 PM
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:30 PM
    Any thing that will help quick switching is a great move forward i agree it should not take 6-8 weeks that's ow long a mortgage takes for goddess sake, Its hardly a mortgage. I do fear this is just smoke and mirrors for the run up to the general election though.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 23rd Oct 13, 2:31 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:31 PM
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:31 PM
    It should only take 7 days to switch supplier according to the regulator.

But that 7 days doesn't start until the expiry of the cooling off period.

Are you suggesting the cooling off period should be scrapped, making it easier for suppliers to slam other suppliers customers onto their own tariffs that may not be appropraite for their needs?

I don't think you will garner much support for that idea.
    Originally posted by footyguy

Nothing stopping the regulator ruling that the punter, if they so wish, can formally opt out of the min cooling off period in order to facilitate a quick switch. We all know the ridiculous wait for a G&E switch to happen is mostly down to deterring people from switching.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 23rd Oct 13, 2:33 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:33 PM
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:33 PM
    Nothing stopping the regulator ruling that the punter, if they so wish, can formally opt out of the min cooling off period in order to facilitate a quick switch. We all know the ridiculous wait for a G&E switch to happen is mostly down to deterring people from switching.
    Originally posted by MillicentBystander
    Nothing at all.

But as I say, I don't think you will garner much support for such approach.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 23rd Oct 13, 2:34 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:34 PM
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:34 PM
    ...i agree it should not take 6-8 weeks ...
    Originally posted by jobdone1
    I agree too, and so does the regulator who says it should not take any longer than 5 weeks currently
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 23rd Oct 13, 2:37 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:37 PM
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:37 PM
    I agree too, and so does the regulator who says it should not take any longer than 5 weeks currently

But this is the same regulator who in 2010 ordered npower to repay £1.2 million to its wronged punters for the gas sculpting scandal whereas Consumer Focus, who then took up the case, got them to pay £70 million back. So perhaps we shouldn't take their word as gospel?
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 23rd Oct 13, 2:38 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:38 PM
    • 23rd Oct 13, 2:38 PM
    Nothing at all.

But as I say, I don't think you will garner much support for such approach.

From whom? And why don't you? I stressed it would be an option not a default position.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 23rd Oct 13, 10:04 PM
    • 3,822 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Originally posted by MillicentBystander
    If you give customers the option of opting out of the cooling-off period, then they WILL be opted out by the salesman, whether the customer knows about it or not.

It's a green light for dodgy salesman to switch people with no chance to think about it.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 24th Oct 13, 12:30 AM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Whilst I agree that speeding up the switching process will, hopefully, encourage consumers to switch more often, I don't think that will address the main issue here.

With energy prices rising at their current rate, even if the government removes all green taxes at a stroke (~10% of the bill) it will not significantly reduce prices in the future.

The question in my mind is: are we getting good value for the money spent, at our expense, on modernizing the energy infrastructure?
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 24th Oct 13, 3:12 AM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    If there needs to be a cooling off period - there is no reason this can't run in parallel with part of the switching process.
    The only bit that needs held off is the actual final switch until the cooling off period ends.
  • Billy-J
    BillyJ
    2 things:
    1) The 2-tier system of unit prices need to GO... The are a) confusing; b) grossly unfair for low users (usually hard-up people) who pay proportionately more than the higher users (usually well off people)....as the 1st level are higher cost than the 2nd level..
    2) Our society is using FAR too much gas & elec...No wonder we're running out.. People expect mid summer temperatures (& summer clothes) in their houses all year round now - ie around 25C... This is irresponsible... namby pamby... Lowers resistance to cold... The more you have the more you need... I grew up in an 8-bedroom house where the only heating was a little oil stove in the living room... Ice on the INSIDE of bedroom windows in the morning... Was never ill, never missed school...
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 25th Oct 13, 3:25 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    2 things:
    1) The 2-tier system of unit prices need to GO... The are a) confusing; b) grossly unfair for low users (usually hard-up people) who pay proportionately more than the higher users (usually well off people)....as the 1st level are higher cost than the 2nd level.
    Originally posted by Billy-J
    I assume you also want the standing charge system to be abolished as well?

What tariff structure would you want - you claim that 2-tier tariff is confusing but what you are arguing for is a 3-tier structure.
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 25th Oct 13, 9:59 PM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    I assume you also want the standing charge system to be abolished as well?

What tariff structure would you want - you claim that 2-tier tariff is confusing but what you are arguing for is a 3-tier structure.
    Originally posted by Nada666
    Speaking personally, I'd argue for a simple per-unit fee.
    No standing charges whatsoever.

E7 can have two rates, but for everything else, it's all loaded into that one fee.

Sure - there can be a minimum industry wide minimum - say 60/year - below which you are always charged 60/year - to cope with those with little used secondary homes, so they are not being subsidised.

The most important thing to make people save energy is their bills.
    If their bill halves if they use half the energy, they may be fairly motivated.
    If it goes down by 25% - not so much.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,588Users online

Martin's Twitter