Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 21st Oct 13, 1:18 PM
    • 13,627 Posts
    • 238,151 Thanks
    mattytun
    • 21st Oct 13, 1:18 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 1:18 PM
    I used to get a cold call every day between 12pm & 12.15pm then I started putting the phone handset next to my laptop speakers and played "silence of the lambs" then the strange thing is ive never had another call since.
    Last edited by mattytun; 21-10-2013 at 1:22 PM.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
  • Atidi
    • 21st Oct 13, 2:12 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 2:12 PM
    Maybe Ofgem should spend it's time & efforts getting it's act together to prevent unwanted calls that originate from within the UK, before trying to sort out problems that come from the rest of the world?

There are many reports that the TPS is toothless, and only today I received an unwanted, unsolicited & misleading telephone call from within the UK despite being signed up to the TPS. I cannot report it because the caller simply withheld their number.

Calls from abroad rarely show their CLI anyway, it's often just 'INTERNATIONAL' or number not available.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 21st Oct 13, 3:39 PM
    • 14,066 Posts
    • 72,014 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 21st Oct 13, 3:39 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 3:39 PM
    Ban the payment of referral fees and that would stop a lot.

The marketing calls are often made by third parties and they get a fee/kick-back (if they manage to get past the few choice words/phone hung up!) when they pass on your details to accident/PPI etc. co's.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 21st Oct 13, 3:46 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 21st Oct 13, 3:46 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 3:46 PM
    I recognise that there are many people out there who are literally 'petrified' of not answering their landline 'in case it's something really important'. Personally, I'm just not bothered anymore about who 'phones my landline. When I'm home and the 'phone rings, I just let it ring until the answerphone kicks in. When its rung off, I wait a minute and pick up the receiver. If the call is genuine, the caller leaves a message, but almost always, they never bother and when I dial 1471, if the number hasn't been withheld, I just look at 'whocallsme.com' and I usually find that any number revealed on 1471 has been complained about umpteen times before. I then always send a complaint to Ofcom via their website. I was going to buy a call blocker, but my way is cheaper!

• bargepole
    • By bargepole 21st Oct 13, 5:30 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 7,446 Thanks
    bargepole
    • 21st Oct 13, 5:30 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 5:30 PM
    I frequently get calls from some firm claiming to be 'windows support' with a strong Indian accent. They tell me that there are problems with my windows which need to be fixed.

So I keep them on the line while I go outside, and say "no, all my windows appear to be in working order, and anyway, they're still under warranty from Everest".

They get very agitated, and try to explain that they mean the Windows operating system on my computer. Then when I tell them that my computer is very old, and runs MS-DOS, they put the phone down.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 36, lost 11), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and am a Graduate member of CILEx, studying towards a Fellowship (equivalent to solicitor) in Civil Litigation. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 22nd Oct 13, 7:47 AM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 22nd Oct 13, 7:47 AM
    • 22nd Oct 13, 7:47 AM
    Still haven't found anyone from India who knows what Ubuntu is!!!
  • fionajbanana
    • 22nd Oct 13, 9:41 AM
    • 22nd Oct 13, 9:41 AM
    Will it stop those prerecorded calls 'congrats you won a Florida cruise' I get at 4am? I have complained to Ofcom about these calls waking me up and the frequency of these - once a week and they said there's nothing they can do!

If I get a call, I ask them where did they get my number from.
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 22nd Oct 13, 11:48 AM
    • 19,247 Posts
    • 58,472 Thanks
    Oblivion
    • 22nd Oct 13, 11:48 AM
    • 22nd Oct 13, 11:48 AM
    When I'm home and the 'phone rings, I just let it ring until the answerphone kicks in.
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    This has worked well for us for many years now; a digital answering machine left on 24/7.

Anyone phoning us hears my greetings message ... "You have connected with (our names), we do not accept calls from telesales companies or scammers but other callers are most welcome. If you announce yourself after the tone, we will pick up your call if we are available to do so; otherwise, please leave us a message."

It really does work as an effective filter for unwanted callers, and it gives us more time to get to the phone when it rings if we are not near it. The machine also carries out an automatic 1471 enquiry to see what number called if it's available.
    Last edited by Oblivion; 22-10-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 13th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
    • Le73Uq86Uv
    • By Le73Uq86Uv 22nd Oct 13, 12:03 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Le73Uq86Uv
    So Ofcom do nothing but now want to join up with others to let them do all the work!!!

Why do we pay taxes to fund this organisation?

Why don't they as a first step (this is not hard) get BT to release the CILD of international calls? Wonder why they have never thought about doing that?
    Signature removed club member No1.

It had no link, It was not to long and I have no idea why.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 22nd Oct 13, 5:20 PM
    • 13,493 Posts
    • 18,723 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    It's far too little, far too late.

The stable door was left wide open, the horse is now 2,000 miles away, and Ofcom only now want to try and close the door...

Except, we all know how friendly they are with the telecoms firms, and they'll have a bet on how far the horse will get before this strategy takes effect, and they want to win it
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    • thefirs
    • By thefirs 23rd Oct 13, 7:37 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    thefirs
    Thanks to Mr Snowden we now know that the US spooks monitor all calls anyway. Surely the NSA could put their technology to good use to come down on these guys like a ton of bricks.

Send them off to Guantanamo, and improve all our lives at a stroke?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 27th Oct 13, 8:55 AM
    • 13,493 Posts
    • 18,723 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Thanks to Mr Snowden we now know that the US spooks monitor all calls anyway. Surely the NSA could put their technology to good use to come down on these guys like a ton of bricks.

Send them off to Guantanamo, and improve all our lives at a stroke?
    Originally posted by thefirs
    The Yanks are paying the idiot callers anyway. Probably gets them a better deal on their phone network access tech because the contract's based on volume....
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    • Fruit and Nut Case
    • By Fruit and Nut Case 27th Oct 13, 9:03 AM
    • 3,982 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    Fruit and Nut Case
    If I get a call, I ask them where did they get my number from.
    Originally posted by fionajbanana
    Your number is just that; a number. The telepests start from <code>000000 and work their way to <code>999999 so they are bound to hit yours somewhere on the way.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    • Catssquirrel
    • By Catssquirrel 9th Nov 13, 10:32 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Catssquirrel
    The UK is the joke location for consumer rites and protection and the international criminals know this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin