Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • darknessss
    • 18th Oct 13, 3:48 PM
    • 18th Oct 13, 3:48 PM
    British Gas were the supplier when I moved into my flat and (naturally) I'm looking to switch.

Called up the lettings agent this afternoon to ask if there's any process to follow if I wanted to switch and all they said was, when we eventually move out, just tell them the supplier and account number so they can write to them. Piece of cake!
    • Wail
    • By Wail 18th Oct 13, 4:03 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Wail
    • 18th Oct 13, 4:03 PM
    • 18th Oct 13, 4:03 PM
    I have BG and PP Meters. Would prefer Credits on a different supplier.

LL has asked that we don't do anything at the moment for a few months as they prefer PP meters because they won't get landed with a massive bill.

Personally, although I'm not happy, I'm prepared to take the hit for a few months in order to maintain a good relationship with the LL.

We'll see what happens in a few months. It might not be worth the costs for reverting back to PP if we only have a short tenancy.

To be honest, I'm most disappointed with the supplier who have failed to get Smart PP Meters, which (hopefully) will make it easier to switch over to a Credit contract without an exchange.
    • bebewoo
    • By bebewoo 18th Oct 13, 4:22 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    bebewoo
    • 18th Oct 13, 4:22 PM
    • 18th Oct 13, 4:22 PM
    Foxtons made me go with Spark and transferred my supply to Spark despite me signing up with another supplier on moving in.
    However when I retransferred Foxtons did not try to stop me.
    But Spark did! the transfer back took forever, Spark tried every way they could to block it but I managed to get away eventually.
    It was in the tenancy agreement that I had to use Spark. Mind you it was in the tenancy agreement that I had to use BT too, and BT don't even serve my area.
    Last edited by bebewoo; 18-10-2013 at 4:24 PM.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 18th Oct 13, 5:24 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    datlex
    • 18th Oct 13, 5:24 PM
    • 18th Oct 13, 5:24 PM
    I had no problems at all changing suppliers. I was also able to change to a credit meter.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 37, Attempting Frugal Living. Became debt free at the end ot 2016. Used savings from becoming debt free to put a deposit on a bungalow last year now working on becoming Mortgage free by overpaying. (without overpayment MFW date is 2036)
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 18th Oct 13, 5:57 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 18th Oct 13, 5:57 PM
    • 18th Oct 13, 5:57 PM
    I've switched supplier when renting. No issues really.
    I do let the LL/agent know which supplier I have switched to at the end of the tenancy so they can take over the supply (or tell the new tenants). You don't have to, I just think it is common courtesy.
    Do as you would be done by. I like it when I am told who at the start of the tenancy who supplies the utilities - saves a lot of hassle trying to find out.
    (You have to register with the existing supplier before you can switch)

I tend to avoid dubious landlords with dubious terms in their Tenancy Agreements. If they are prepared to put unfair terms in writing, who knows how they'll act to things when it doesn't need to be in writing.
    Last edited by footyguy; 18-10-2013 at 6:00 PM.
  • Scotmouse
    • 22nd Oct 13, 5:36 PM
    Utility Warehouse and rental property
    • 22nd Oct 13, 5:36 PM
    Nightmare...

Been trying to replace pre-payment meters for gas and electric for credit meters since July. Suppliers will not agree until debt from previous tenant are clear. They have take cash from payment cards towards the debt but still have not supplied me with new cards. I am unable to look at the market for better tariffs as I have not been informed of the rates being charged.

Landlord is happy for me to change to whichever supplier I choose.
    • jgriggle
    • By jgriggle 23rd Oct 13, 10:21 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    jgriggle
    • 23rd Oct 13, 10:21 AM
    • 23rd Oct 13, 10:21 AM
    It's in my tenancy agreement that I have to get permission to change energy suppliers, but I've never bothered. I can understand if changes are going to be made to the property e.g. a new meter or something.

Otherwise it's no more their business than if I decided to switch supermarkets.

The best thing to do if you think the landlord will get funny is just go ahead and switch, and then make sure you switch back to the original supplier just before the end of your tenancy. That way they'll never know.

When we moved out of our last place we just mentioned to the letting agent that we'd switched. Although we were supposed to get permission he didn't seem bothered. He just wrote down the name of the new supplier for their own records and that was that. The place we're in now is with the same agent, and we've switched three times without asking.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 23rd Oct 13, 4:23 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 23rd Oct 13, 4:23 PM
    • 23rd Oct 13, 4:23 PM
    From the landlord's perspective, if the tenant switched to something dodgy like Utilities Warehouse, and disappeared owing money, it could be impossible to leave UW, because they just won't co-operate with the switch.
    • oldnewhand
    • By oldnewhand 24th Oct 13, 9:36 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    oldnewhand
    As landlords of a student let we decided it was most helpful to our tenants and safer for us to include the fuel in the rent but as a separate part with a proviso in the rental agreement that if the amount we paid on their behalf was 10% or more either way of the actual bill we would refund or ask them for the shortfall. It hasn't been necessary to do that yet. I'm disappointed that some landlords insist on prepayment meters as they are so expensive for especially people needing to rent, although that depends on whether the bill is for the property or the tenant. It was this and the fact ours is multi occupancy that we opted for an inclusive package so hopefully everyone wins (except the power company)
  • DrLJN
    3-rate meter means I have no choice
    I am in rented housing association accommodation in Edinburgh. It is electricity only, meaning heating is going to be expensive. Using hot water for 1h45 each day, and general cooking and lighting, is costing us 100 a month.

I cannot change supplier as we have a 3-rate meter with Scottish Power on the Comfort White Meter set-up even though we don't have storage heaters. I have fixed until March 2014 as that was the only fixed deal they offered, and it was roughly the same price as I pay now.

I am really frustrated by the fact that none of the other companies will offer a tariff. I am also really annoyed that USwitch et al don't seem to have heard of the 3-rate tariff, as they all suggested I move to an economy 7 deal with alternate providers.... Not possible, as it turns out.
  • chrisross693
    Foxtons/Spark Energy
    I rented through foxtons, and noticed the clause stating that our energy was to be through spark energy. I didn't want this, I wanted to go with EDF for cheapest fix, so I had foxtons remove the clause from the tenancy agreement before i signed. But they did it anyway. They were incredibly robust about the issue when I first complained, however backed down completely when I quoted ofgem guidelines to them (which they hadn't followed) and stated I was prepared to complain to the property ombudsman and the ICO.

They then offered 420 compensation. Boom.
    Any views I offer are my own opinion, It's not legal advice, I don't accept any responsibility if you do anything I may have suggested and it goes tits up.
  • chrisross693
    Foxtons made me go with Spark and transferred my supply to Spark despite me signing up with another supplier on moving in.
    However when I retransferred Foxtons did not try to stop me.
    But Spark did! the transfer back took forever, Spark tried every way they could to block it but I managed to get away eventually.
    It was in the tenancy agreement that I had to use Spark. Mind you it was in the tenancy agreement that I had to use BT too, and BT don't even serve my area.
    Originally posted by bebewoo
    Spark are the cancer of the energy world......
    Any views I offer are my own opinion, It's not legal advice, I don't accept any responsibility if you do anything I may have suggested and it goes tits up.
  • Sheepdog
    I am a Landlord.
    I have no objection to a tenant changing power providor.
    BUT read your aggreement, probably says that you should ask your landlord first.

I have had problems, last tenants changed to prepay, without permission or asking. when they left, they left heating on full. all lights on. trying to get the supplier to stop the system, ever increasing debt, due to standing charge, impossible. I needed electricity to make the thousands of worth of repairs. But did not need gas. but the amount owed kept going up.

Fortunately, the tenant moving in, managed to get the amount owed cancelled, and even get some credit.

Play fair. Ask your landlord, should not be refused, unless specific circumstances.
    I mainly let my tenants do what they want, It is their home, might be my house. But I say, if/when they leave, leave as they found. I will do major repairs etc asap. minor ones, well, the present tenants are willing to do some themselves, great, I will refund on materials.
    Some landlords, give the rest of us a bad name
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 6th Aug 14, 6:00 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    I have had problems, last tenants changed to prepay, without permission or asking. when they left, they left heating on full. all lights on. trying to get the supplier to stop the system, ever increasing debt, due to standing charge, impossible. I needed electricity to make the thousands of worth of repairs. But did not need gas. but the amount owed kept going up.
    Originally posted by Sheepdog
    If the tenants fled by night and broke their lease early then they are still responsible for any charges for heating left on.

If they told you or you knew it was up then it is up to you or your agent to attend the property promptly and take readings. You are responsible for any accidental (or deliberate) usage since then.

Standing charges are standing charges and are now almost universal. That is Ofgem's decision and not tenants' or suppliers' fault.
  • AMG762
    Sorry, was i supposed to inform my landlord?

Changed from Scottish Power to EDF recently. Nightmare with Scottish Power but EDF have so far been excellent. I have found EDF customer service actually answer the phones straight away not like the 40 minute wait for Scottish Power.

I am lucky my landlord is really good, as long as the house is looked after and the rent paid on time he does not interfere. Even takes me out for dinner sometimes
    • Welly1
    • By Welly1 20th Apr 16, 1:16 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Welly1
    Prepay meter advice
    Hi Guys,
    we are private renters and have just moved into our 4th property where they have a prepay meter with SSE. We are still renting the old property until 30th April (to finish moving all our stuff, do a bit of maintenance etc to get our bond back). AT our old property we are on the USwitch Collective tariff with EON until 16th June, so I don't want to switch providers until then or I'll have to pay 60 fee.

The question is - do I ask SSE to change the prepay meter to a standard meter, then change back to EON, and then look at switching provider in June when the contract runs out.

Or, do I change straight to EON, ask them to change the meter, and then also switch providers in June.

I'm aware that I need to get my Landlords permission to change the meter, that shouldn't be a problem.
    • Bark01
    • By Bark01 20th Apr 16, 2:16 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Bark01
    I've done it loads of time, never had any problems. You don't need contact the landlord to ask their permission to change tariffs.
    Last edited by Bark01; 27-07-2016 at 6:58 PM.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON uSwitch Collective Tariff
    Hi Guys,
    we are private renters and have just moved into our 4th property where they have a prepay meter with SSE. We are still renting the old property until 30th April (to finish moving all our stuff, do a bit of maintenance etc to get our bond back). AT our old property we are on the USwitch Collective tariff with EON until 16th June, so I don't want to switch providers until then or I'll have to pay 60 fee.

The question is - do I ask SSE to change the prepay meter to a standard meter, then change back to EON, and then look at switching provider in June when the contract runs out.

Or, do I change straight to EON, ask them to change the meter, and then also switch providers in June.

I'm aware that I need to get my Landlords permission to change the meter, that shouldn't be a problem.
    Originally posted by Welly1
    Hope the move went well Welly1? Don't worry about exit fees on your Collective Tariff at the property you're leaving. They don't apply. Exit fees only apply to customers changing supplier outside their renewal period. As you're changing tenancy, there won't be a fee.

If you let our Home Moves team know you're leaving, they'll close the account and send a final bill. I know there's lots to do when moving but taking meter readings on 30 April will help make sure this bill's accurate. If you prefer, you can give us the details online through our website using the 'Moving Home' form.

You won't be able to take this tariff with you to your new property. It'll end when you give up responsibility for the old property on 30 April. It's also no longer available for sale. If you were to switch to us with the prepayment meter in place, we'll put you on our prepay tariff. We've only the one available.

We'll be happy to change the prepayment for a credit meter without charge provided you pass an external credit check. Once the exchange has been done and the account updated, you're free to change supplier. It can, though, take a few weeks to update the account as certain third parties like energy distributors, meter readers, national databases etc are involved. They, too, need to update their records with details of the changed circumstances.

Hope this helps Welly1. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • eloisewl
    • By eloisewl 3rd Aug 16, 12:47 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    eloisewl
    British Gas failed credit check for DD
    Me and my boyfriend moved into a flat where the previous tenants used prepayment British Gas and so that's what we've been using. We've been here 6 months and both of us have separately applied to switch to direct debit with BG, but have been rejected.

Any advice on what we should/can do to get onto a direct debit with any of the cheaper utility companies? Have our credit checks been declined because we both previously have only lived in shared housing meaning we have never had to pay utility bills directly to the companies so have no history with them?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,983Posts Today

7,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin