Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • zennith
    • 10th Sep 13, 5:13 PM
    • 10th Sep 13, 5:13 PM
    I'm still more than happy with my Nokia 1112

• chanz4
    • By chanz4 10th Sep 13, 6:49 PM
    • 10,046 Posts
    • 2,992 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 10th Sep 13, 6:49 PM
    • 10th Sep 13, 6:49 PM
    iphone sheep will be ordering
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 10th Sep 13, 7:12 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:12 PM
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:12 PM
    The iPhone 5 is being discontinued and replaced with the iPhone 5S, which will sell for 10 to 30 more than the iPhone 5 did. This is different from Apple's previous approach of continuing to sell previous iPhone models at reduced prices.

16GB: 529 for iPhone 5 vs 549 for iPhone 5S - 20 increase
    32GB: 599 for iPhone 5 vs 629 for iPhone 5S - 30 increase
    64GB: 699 for iPhone 5 vs 709 for iPhone 5S - 10 increase

The increased prices for the iPhone 5S could mitigate the iPhone 5's reduction in resale value as a result of its discontinuation.
  • Former MSE Becca
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:18 PM
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:18 PM
    The iPhone 5 is being discontinued and replaced with the iPhone 5S, which will sell for 10 to 30 more than the iPhone 5 did.

The increased prices for the iPhone 5S could mitigate the iPhone 5's reduction in resale value as a result of its discontinuation.
    Originally posted by NFH
    Thanks NFH, this is interesting - obviously I wrote this story before the iPhone announcement, and we didn't realise the iPhone 5 was being discontinued.

Because of this, those selling the iPhone 5 to upgrade to a 5S will probably be able to fetch more for it on eBay - though obviously there are listing fees and things to consider...

Will anyone be upgrading and trading in their iPhone 5 for the iPhone 5S?

Many thanks,
    MSE Becca
    • matttye
    • By matttye 10th Sep 13, 7:34 PM
    • 4,748 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    matttye
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:34 PM
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:34 PM
    Will anyone be upgrading and trading in their iPhone 5 for the iPhone 5S?
    Originally posted by MSE Becca
    Not me!

The new iPhone will be great for people who play graphic-intensive games and take lots of pictures due to the twice-as-fast CPU (and improved GPU) and improved camera+flash, but that's about the only real benefits over the 5 IMO. iOS is already super smooth on the iPhone 5, so having a CPU that's twice as fast will only benefit the user so much.

The fingerprint sensor will simplify unlocking the phone and buying apps/songs/etc. and also make it more secure, but it's only slightly more convenient than the current passcode solution.

I wonder if iPhone 5 will actually sell well on eBay given their limited availability... it'll be the first time Apple has discontinued an iPhone after only one year.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
    • mummyroysof3
    • By mummyroysof3 10th Sep 13, 7:38 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 25,275 Thanks
    mummyroysof3
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:38 PM
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:38 PM
    I was hoping the iPhone 5 would come down in price so I'm a bit gutted its been discontinued instead. Will wait a few weeks then decide what to do about my upgrade as I won't be willing to pay the prices the new ones will be but not sure I want a 4s as its still expensive for an older phone
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015
    • matttye
    • By matttye 10th Sep 13, 7:41 PM
    • 4,748 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    matttye
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:41 PM
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:41 PM
    I was hoping the iPhone 5 would come down in price so I'm a bit gutted its been discontinued instead. Will wait a few weeks then decide what to do about my upgrade as I won't be willing to pay the prices the new ones will be but not sure I want a 4s as its still expensive for an older phone
    Originally posted by mummyroysof3
    The 5C has slightly improved specs over the 5, so you can kind of still buy a 5. It just looks different
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 10th Sep 13, 7:53 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:53 PM
    • 10th Sep 13, 7:53 PM
    I was hoping the iPhone 5 would come down in price so I'm a bit gutted its been discontinued instead.
    Originally posted by mummyroysof3
    It means that those hoping for an iPhone 5 at a reduced price will have to buy secondhand rather than buying new. Maybe Apple's unusual approach here will uphold resale values of the iPhone 5.
    • Jimmyc
    • By Jimmyc 10th Sep 13, 8:24 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Jimmyc
    The iPhone 5 is being discontinued and replaced with the iPhone 5S, which will sell for 10 to 30 more than the iPhone 5 did. This is different from Apple's previous approach of continuing to sell previous iPhone models at reduced prices.

16GB: 529 for iPhone 5 vs 549 for iPhone 5S - 20 increase
    32GB: 599 for iPhone 5 vs 629 for iPhone 5S - 30 increase
    64GB: 699 for iPhone 5 vs 709 for iPhone 5S - 10 increase

Originally posted by NFH
    Price increase might be because the is weaker against the $ compared to this time a year ago
    • redux
    • By redux 11th Sep 13, 3:02 AM
    • 19,787 Posts
    • 27,540 Thanks
    redux
    Why trade in or sell?

I understood that insurers have noticed large increases in accidental damage to much-loved iPhones just after each new model is announced.
    • ZhugeEX
    • By ZhugeEX 11th Sep 13, 7:01 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    ZhugeEX
    Price increase might be because the is weaker against the $ compared to this time a year ago
    Originally posted by Jimmyc
    Nope, that's a logical explanation so i refuse to believe it.

It's because Apple are evil and want to squeeze every last penny out of consumers.

• NFH
    • By NFH 11th Sep 13, 8:23 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    Originally posted by Jimmyc
    Given that GBP/USD is indeed 1.5% lower than this time last year, that could explain the 1.5% increase in the 64GB model, and possibly the 3.7% increase in the 16GB model, but not the 5% increase in the 32GB model.

Also don't forget that many of Apple's costs are incurred in CNY and even in GBP (for UK sales), rather than in USD.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 11th Sep 13, 8:31 AM
    • 10,323 Posts
    • 16,989 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    I've only had mine for a fortnight, and didn't pay for it anyway as got a good contract (albeit 2 years, so it'll be antique by the end) - now I know why! So far I love it and am something of an Apple convert, having recently acquired an iPod too. iTunes is still a bit of a mystery, and as for iCloud and iTunes Match... .

Only thing about the new phone that I'm envious of is the extended battery life. Still getting used to charging it nearly every day, after my Nokia E61 lasting almost a week.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• NFH
    • By NFH 11th Sep 13, 10:03 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    Only thing about the new phone that I'm envious of is the extended battery life. Still getting used to charging it nearly every day, after my Nokia E61 lasting almost a week.
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    I don't see why people complain about needing to charge a phone every night; you have readily available mains power and are sleeping anyway. The real problem is when you have to charge a phone during the day and find a power source.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 11th Sep 13, 10:17 AM
    • 10,323 Posts
    • 16,989 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    I don't see why people complain about needing to charge a phone every night; you have readily available mains power and are sleeping anyway. The real problem is when you have to charge a phone during the day and find a power source.
    Originally posted by NFH
    Oops, now you've quoted me there's no point correcting my typo from E61 to E63 (never could remember which was which, i.e. E63/E71).

I don't like leaving things charging when I'm asleep - have read horror stories about fires due to chargers overheating, although I'm sure these are few and far between, so I always put it on a few hours before I go to bed, and it doesn't take long to charge. Not sure how it will be when it's getting older, will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Goes without saying re. the needing to charge during the day, which was partly my point about the short battery life. I'm not a heavy user, but when I'm travelling and want to surf the net or play music (although I'm using my iPod for that, even though it means carrying two devices around) it hardly lasts my regular 4 hour journey. I've bought a power pack (so now I'm carrying three things around ), which allegedly gives an extra two full charges, but if only they had put the new 5S battery in the current spec 5, life would be a lot simpler!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• blueghost
    • By blueghost 11th Sep 13, 11:55 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    blueghost
    traded my 5 in last week for 345 amazon vouchers (can put towards PS4) with fonebank, good thing was you get 2 weeks to send it so just sent now. now only 290 trade in.

i'm sure i could get a bit more on ebay but with fees and more hassle prefer the easy route. used fonebank for my ipad2 last year no problems.

this article should have been written last week really
    Last edited by blueghost; 11-09-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: getting ahead of myself!
    • jase.2
    • By jase.2 11th Sep 13, 4:24 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jase.2
    This story is nonsense.

Who is going to buy a tacky 5c with the same features as a 5 for only 60 less?

Apart from teenagers desperate to get different colours the answer is nobody as its the same phone.

So with 5 being removed the intro of 5c will keep values of 5 high as its exactly the same phone aside from the tacky and expensive covers
    • NFH
    • By NFH 11th Sep 13, 4:36 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    Who is going to buy a tacky 5c with the same features as a 5 for only 60 less?
    Originally posted by jase.2
    Judging by the horrible cases that some people put on their iPhone 5, I don't think a lot of people care about how it looks.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 11th Sep 13, 10:37 PM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 20,866 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I've gone off my beloved 5 a bit now.. I want a 5S! Given the fact my 5 is only 5 months old I've got about another 18 months yet
    Open University Graduate 2017; MA at DMU complete 2018- MERIT!! Round 2 OU 2018- BSc Combined STEM (Sports Psychology) Year 1 Complete! E117 (Passed) and DE100. Year 2- K220 and E235.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Civil Partnership 15/02/20
    Strictly 2019- TEAM RAMSEY!
    Elle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

817Posts Today

6,454Users online

Martin's Twitter