Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 23rd Dec 04, 2:30 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Re: School days recipes
    We must all be getting old ;D

I also was discussing the old school dinners not so long ago. I used to love them - especially the puds. We had, custard, chocolate custard, pink custard and green (mint) custard which I absolutely adored - could do with a recipe for that.

We had the concrete cornflake cakes you needed to soak in custard for 20 mins - loved them too.

Our dinners were in the days of set price, set menu and what was best was you got to eat all the leftovers when everyone had been fed. I frequently used to eat 2 dinners and up to 4 puds! ;D (I was also aged 12, 4'7 and 3 1/2 stone so obviously needed it for growing purposes) Still went home and ate a 'proper' tea too.

When I was in the 6th form, they went to the a la carte system, so I can stil say I hold the school prune eating contest - 33 prunes in one lunchtime. And no, they don't have adverse effects on me (was weaned on them)

Mmmmmmmmmmm - jam sponge and mint custard...... drool......
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 23rd Dec 04, 2:57 PM
    • 7,628 Posts
    • 49,803 Thanks
    MimiJane
    Jam rolypoly with custard ... used to love that!
    • robnye
    • By robnye 23rd Dec 04, 3:22 PM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    robnye
    i used to adore the cornflake flans or treacle flans......

mind you i also used to drink the vinegar as a bet...... got me seconds/thirds of pudding from so called friends....
    • By 16011996 24th Dec 04, 1:58 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    :-X
  • spankymonkey
    fudge tart(school style)
    i read a few weeks ago that someone was looking for the recipe for school fudge tart. well i have dug out my kitchen drawer and found the recipe!
    you need 1x8" pastry case or make your own ..
    1/2 pint milk
    3oz sugar
    4oz margarine
    2oz plain flour
    1/2 oz grated chocolate
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    pour 1/4 pint of milk into saucepan, add marg and heat till nearly boiling
    blend remainder of milk with the flour and beat to a smooth paste and add to the milk mixture.
    add sugar
    cook thoroughly until a smooth finish is obtained
    flavour with vanilla essence
    spread over pastry case and allow to cool,decorate with grated chocolate
    enjoy!!!
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
    • JoBatch80
    • By JoBatch80 20th Jun 05, 12:20 AM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    JoBatch80
    Sounds awesome!! But I dont recall ever being given anything so lovely sounding when I was at school - the only thing I remember fondly is Jam Roly Poly with custard (but NO skin - YUK).

I think ill have a bash at your recipe this week!

Also, does anyone know if Jam Roly Poly easy to make??

Jo xx
    Once you've swam in the sea, a lake will no longer do.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 20th Jun 05, 8:05 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Jam Roly Poly is very easy

Suet Pastry:

8 oz 225g self raising flour

pinch salt

4 oz 100g shredded suet

cold water to mix.

Heat oven to gas mark 6 (200C 400F)

Mix flour salt and suet, add sufficient cold water to make a dough which is soft and pliable (it'll be lumpy with suet bits - don't worry about it)

Knead lightly on a floured board then leave to rest for a few minutes before rolling out into a 25 x 20cm 10 x 8 in rectangle.

Spread with about 5 tbsps jam to within 2.5cm 1in of the edges to prevent jam burning.

Moisten edges with water, roll up loosly from the narrow end. Place on a tray with the joint underneath and bake for about 30-35mins.

Or wrap in foil or greaseproof paper and steam for 1.5 hours.;
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Lyndsay_21
    butterscotch tart
    i am trying to find a recipe for butterscotch tart like i used to have a school ummm yummmy......
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Sep 05, 4:30 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    We have a thread with loads of school puds in it, though I have to admit that I don't remember that one - but what the heck, I'm getting old

I'll see if I can find the thread for you...

Try Here
    Last edited by squeaky; 08-09-2005 at 4:34 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Allexie
    Here's the Sharrow Bay recipe .....

Butterscotch Tart

150gr short pastry
    250gr demerara sugar
    250gr butter
    1 cup water
    2 tablespoons plain flour
    4 tablespoons cornflour
    1 tin condensed milk
    2 eggs - separated into yolks and whites
    150ml double cream
    cinnamon and grated chocolate

Preheat the oven to 180C

Line a flan ring with the pastry and bake blind

Heat the demerara sugar - allow it to start to burn then add the butter and let these two boil together briefly

In a separate saucepan mix the condensed milk with flour and cornflour. Heat together until thickened and cooked

Pour on the sugar and butter syrup and stir to the boil
    Stir in egg yolks then sieve the butterscotch mix into the precooked tart case. Allow to cool

In separate bowls whisk the egg whites and cream then fold one into the other.

Sprinkle cinnamon and grated chocolate on top

points to watch

This is fairly straightforward to make but creates a lot of washing up in the process. Use a non stick pan to cook the condensed milk and flour together and stir constantly, it will almost certainly catch bit anyway but this wont matter

You needn't let the demerara sugar burn if you like the butterscotch really sweet. T

I dont put any dried beans on pastry when baking blind so need to press down the pastry midway through baking.
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Our recipe is very similar to the previous except the amounts of butter 1oz and sugar 4oz are slightly lower.
    We also use ordinary milk and a half tsp of vanilla.

But I suspect the previous version while less healthy is more scrummy.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Sep 05, 6:14 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I reckon it would be a good idea to merge this thread in with the other one about school puds to keep them all in one place.

I'll do it tomorrow

• carly
    • By carly 9th Sep 05, 7:47 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    carly
    Can you tell me what you do with the water? I might be reading the recipe wrong but I cant see where it fits. Also , what do you do with the egg whites and cream when they have been whisked together? Is it some kind of sugarless meringue topping. Is it then cooked?

I love the sound of this recipe and cant wait to try it but i want to make sure i do it right. Sorry to be so thick.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 9th Sep 05, 8:11 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I've just merged the butterscotch thread into this school puds one

• lyns
    Hi
    have been looking on the site to find a recipe for chocolate concrete the flat one with sugar on the top and came across this page has any one got a smaller recipe for it as the one posted does not tell you how to cook it . Was talking to my sister about it today who works in a school but the cook will not give out the recipe i was in bed but fancied it so much i had to get out of bed to see if i could find it sad i know but
  • lyns
    oooh and just remembered the ginger one with the white stuff on the top could just eat that now aswell
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Oooooo, I've been looking for a thread like this , but not a sweet one.

Does anyone remember (a long time ago and made on the school premises) school made tomato sauce?

It was quite mild, but delicious with salads, and beetroot in particular.

It wasn't tangy either, and it didn't have 'bits' in it. (Maybe it wasn't school made?)

But I'd love the recipe if anyone can help.

TIA
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 29th Sep 05, 12:49 AM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    I liked the vanilla slice, puff pastry sandwiched with dream topping type filling and jam.

Farola pudding with a big blob of jam in the centre.

Tapioca (frogs eggs) and tinned pears.

Chocolate crispy type slice with custard, white, yellow or pink variations.

Jelly and dream topping or ice cream.

Haggis neeps and tatties.

Sponge and custard, I didn't like.

Had like a dark sponge/gingerbread type slice with custard too.

One thing I hated with a passion was the fish in white sauce, the smell that wafted along the corridor as you stood in line.

Here is a link that maybe of interest.

http://education.independent.co.uk/news/article12173.ece
    Last edited by Smiley_Mum; 29-09-2005 at 12:53 AM.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
    • rammy007
    • By rammy007 29th Sep 05, 1:30 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    rammy007
    Has anyone got the full recipe for the chocolate crunch/concrete as a previous poster said it doesnt say how to cook it.thanks
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 29th Sep 05, 1:44 AM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    Has anyone got the full recipe for the chocolate crunch/concrete as a previous poster said it doesnt say how to cook it.thanks
    by rammy007
    Try this link, you might find something.

http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm?uktv=messageBoards.thread&threadID=20321

This one looks good, Chocolate Concrete apparently was also known as Chocolate Tiffin.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.food.recipes/browse_thread/thread/29b9d7d04494ffaf/020d1b588b1c22e9?lnk=st&q=chocolate+concrete&rnum= 2&hl=en#020d1b588b1c22e9
    Last edited by Smiley_Mum; 29-09-2005 at 1:51 AM.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,812Posts Today

7,246Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin