Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Maestro.
    • 28th Aug 13, 4:56 PM
    • 28th Aug 13, 4:56 PM
    Reading the article it sounds like far too much hassle. Not enticing me to switch.
    Oh, you wee bazza!
  • rb10
    • 28th Aug 13, 5:16 PM
    • 28th Aug 13, 5:16 PM
    What the article doesn't mention is that any spending on a Halifax credit card is also eligible for the cashback. Or that you can view/activate offers on mobile banking - making it much easier if you're out shopping and want cashback from one of these stores.

The article also states:

Crucially, this doesn't mean all bank account customers are eligible. You need to have a debit card, and some Halifax accounts don't come with one.
    by MSE article
    What Halifax current accounts don't come with a debit card? I think they all provide a debit card...
    • stclair
    • By stclair 28th Aug 13, 5:29 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 3,459 Thanks
    stclair
    • 28th Aug 13, 5:29 PM
    • 28th Aug 13, 5:29 PM
    More information can be found here in an official capacity:

http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media/pdfs/halifax/2013/2808_Cashback.pdf
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • dr_adidas01
    • By dr_adidas01 28th Aug 13, 5:42 PM
    • 1,208 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    dr_adidas01
    • 28th Aug 13, 5:42 PM
    • 28th Aug 13, 5:42 PM
    What the article doesn't mention is that any spending on a Halifax credit card is also eligible for the cashback. Or that you can view/activate offers on mobile banking - making it much easier if you're out shopping and want cashback from one of these stores.

The article also states:

What Halifax current accounts don't come with a debit card? I think they all provide a debit card...
    Originally posted by rb10
    Perhaps they mean a visa debit card, the easycash account only comes with a visa electron card, so may not qualify for the cashback offer.
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both.
  • rb10
    • 28th Aug 13, 5:45 PM
    • 28th Aug 13, 5:45 PM
    Perhaps they mean a visa debit card, the easycash account only comes with a visa electron card, so may not qualify for the cashback offer.
    Originally posted by dr_adidas01
    Maybe they do mean that ... but it's not what they say.

And since the link in stclair's post doesn't say that Visa Electron holders are excluded, I'd be surprised if that were the case.
    • KTF
    • By KTF 28th Aug 13, 6:47 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    KTF
    • 28th Aug 13, 6:47 PM
    • 28th Aug 13, 6:47 PM
    Just reading the details on how to get the cashback gives me a headache.

I'm out.
  • opinions4u
    • 28th Aug 13, 6:59 PM
    • 28th Aug 13, 6:59 PM
    So it's a limited Top Cashack service via your Internet banking login.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 28th Aug 13, 7:04 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    zerog
    • 28th Aug 13, 7:04 PM
    • 28th Aug 13, 7:04 PM
    If it's really 15% then it might be worth it to spend a bit more time reading...

But basically this is the same as using topcashback or quidco, except payout is more likely.
    • Archi Bald
    • By Archi Bald 28th Aug 13, 7:15 PM
    • 9,376 Posts
    • 7,432 Thanks
    Archi Bald
    Topcashback and Quidco (and MSE) must be squeaking in their boots right now. Whilst at present, the competition from the banks is simply laughable, they do have enough clout and resources to wipe the entire field. If they get it right. Signing up via a website for a specific deal doesn't sound to me like getting it right....
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 28th Aug 13, 7:22 PM
    • 8,472 Posts
    • 50,025 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I have a Halifax Reward account and I use online banking, so I'm eligible for this.

I don't use my debit card that often. I mainly use my credit cards for Nectar and M&S points, paying off the full balance at the end of the month.

If it so happens that I get an offer under this scheme and it's somewhere I want to shop at that time, it'd use it, as I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

But as it stands, it wouldn't be enough to make me switch bank accounts.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 28th Aug 13, 7:55 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Kite2010
    Link from the email to promote it:
    http://www.halifax.co.uk/aboutonline/earn-cashback/default.asp

"Just remember that offers will be matched to your debit or credit card spending"

Would be interesting to see what 'offers' Halifax match to my debit card profile, I only use it to pay for low amounts where paying by Credit card will endure a fee

Will probably be for random stores which I either never use or hardly ever use
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 28th Aug 13, 9:42 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Reading the article it sounds like far too much hassle. Not enticing me to switch.
    Originally posted by Maestro.
    Once you activate an offer, does it stay active forever, or only for a set time and then you have to active it again?
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 28th Aug 13, 10:21 PM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Once you activate an offer, does it stay active forever, or only for a set time and then you have to active it again?
    Originally posted by bobblebob
    Offers are for limited times. Such as 10% back at a useless shop for the next two weeks.

I really doubt topcashback and quidco are concerned. This isn't about a customer researching the best way to buy something from the comfort of their own home, or remembering at the last minute before a purchase if there is cashback available. It's a poor effort from Halifax where you have to look at their offers, work out in advance if you're physically going to go to those shops and would actually spend money there, and then sign up.

Of course, you could simply sign up to all the offers and then continue spending in your normal pattern regardless, but it's too much effort.
    • alinwales
    • By alinwales 29th Aug 13, 7:08 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    alinwales
    we have a 'loyalty' scheem at work where we can log in and get cashback from various places (presumably like the cashback sites).. however, 1. You don't get cashback if you have some other discount code, and 2. discount codes you can easily find online are usually better than (or the same) as the 'super-exciting cashback rate' that I could otherwise get.

My prediction: 15% will be for Bodyshop, which usually has anywhere between 20% and 40% off at any time if you find the right code.
    • ashleyriot
    • By ashleyriot 29th Aug 13, 7:18 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    ashleyriot
    I don't mind an odd hurdle or two for a good deal - it helps separate the wheat from the chaff but the majority of the list of companies represent more "luxurious" spending and there are a lot of steps involved in this.
    • angelsmomma
    • By angelsmomma 29th Aug 13, 11:09 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    angelsmomma
    I have a Halifax Reward account and I use online banking, so I'm eligible for this.

I don't use my debit card that often. I mainly use my credit cards for Nectar and M&S points, paying off the full balance at the end of the month.

If it so happens that I get an offer under this scheme and it's somewhere I want to shop at that time, it'd use it, as I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

But as it stands, it wouldn't be enough to make me switch bank accounts.
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    This is me too although I also use a t*sco credit card on 0% interest for points too.

I can't see myself even bothering
    Life is not the way itís supposed to be. Itís the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 29th Aug 13, 1:05 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    I have a couple of Halifax accounts and also shop at Morrisons so any cashback is great. Unfortunately the offers do not yet seem to be available on the website which is frustrating since the amount of publicity
    • Archi Bald
    • By Archi Bald 29th Aug 13, 1:10 PM
    • 9,376 Posts
    • 7,432 Thanks
    Archi Bald
    I have a couple of Halifax accounts and also shop at Morrisons so any cashback is great. Unfortunately the offers do not yet seem to be available on the website which is frustrating since the amount of publicity
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    All Halifax debit card customers with online banking will be able to earn up to 15% cashback from the end of September
    As an aside, I have been getting 1% at Morrisons (and all other supermarkets) for the last 2 years, on my 123 credit card.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 29th Aug 13, 1:12 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    As an aside, I have been getting 1% at Morrisons (and all other supermarkets) for the last 2 years, on my 123 credit card.
    Originally posted by Archi Bald
    Yes I have an old Capital One credit card that pays 1% cashback on every purchase I make with it but if Morrisons offer more through The Halifax I'll use that when I can
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

1,710Users online

Martin's Twitter