Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 2nd Aug 13, 5:24 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Government to stop councils' 'backdoor parking taxes'
    • 2nd Aug 13, 5:24 PM
    MSE News: Government to stop councils' 'backdoor parking taxes' 2nd Aug 13 at 5:24 PM
    "The Government says it will clamp down on councils introducing taxes on people's driveways and parking spaces..."

Read the full story:

Government to stop councils' 'backdoor parking taxes'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 03-08-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Page 1
    • plumber2009
    • By plumber2009 3rd Aug 13, 5:51 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    plumber2009
    • 3rd Aug 13, 5:51 PM
    • 3rd Aug 13, 5:51 PM
    Well guess what.

I no longer go to the town centre to do any shopping. The final straw was a 25 fine for parking 5 minutes early before the free period kicked in.

I am fed up with the difficulty in finding a parking space and driving down roads no wider than a pavement in order to spend my hard earned money in the local shops.

I now either buy online which invariably is cheaper or travel to an out of town shopping centre.

I am done with town centres due to the rip off parking charges, bad traffic and lack of free parking.
  • Gardener48
    • 3rd Aug 13, 7:03 PM
    MSE News: Government to stop councils' 'backdoor parking taxes'
    • 3rd Aug 13, 7:03 PM
    I haven't shopped in my local town centre for about seven years entirely because of this. Goodnes knoes how much money local councils have lost out on because of millions of lost shopping trips. Ironically, I'll bet it's more than they have ever made from parking fines.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 3rd Aug 13, 7:51 PM
    • 23,394 Posts
    • 37,292 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 3rd Aug 13, 7:51 PM
    • 3rd Aug 13, 7:51 PM
    Room on my drive for a car. Free for first 2 hours, thereafter 100 reduced to 60 for early payment. Handy for town centre - just a 10 mile walk
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 3rd Aug 13, 9:37 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Kite2010
    • 3rd Aug 13, 9:37 PM
    • 3rd Aug 13, 9:37 PM
    There is a piece of land near the local town which the owner has turned into "private parking for hire", however they haven't bothered trying to get a lower kerb put in, damaging it when cars drive on and off.

Ex-clampers, hopefully they will get clamped and fined by the council for damaging the kerbs
    • usa1
    • By usa1 4th Aug 13, 2:26 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    usa1
    • 4th Aug 13, 2:26 PM
    • 4th Aug 13, 2:26 PM
    How can council officialdom know if you are renting your drive out on your own PRIVATE land?

Its none of their business who parks their car on private property, (unless blocking access others)

I hate greedy money grabbing councils..
    It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson, Clockwise
    • Stroma
    • By Stroma 4th Aug 13, 2:31 PM
    • 7,917 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    Stroma
    • 4th Aug 13, 2:31 PM
    • 4th Aug 13, 2:31 PM
    Wonder if the Inland Revenue will want their cut ?
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 4th Aug 13, 2:36 PM
    • 27,014 Posts
    • 37,266 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 4th Aug 13, 2:36 PM
    • 4th Aug 13, 2:36 PM
    There is a piece of land near the local town which the owner has turned into "private parking for hire", however they haven't bothered trying to get a lower kerb put in, damaging it when cars drive on and off.

Ex-clampers, hopefully they will get clamped and fined by the council for damaging the kerbs
    Originally posted by Kite2010
    Be worth checking if council gave them planning permission to trade from that site.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 4th Aug 13, 9:05 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Kite2010
    • 4th Aug 13, 9:05 PM
    • 4th Aug 13, 9:05 PM
    I've already sent an email to the main council to see if they know of the damage being caused to the kerbs. Most likely they will take it up with the local council to see if they have permission to operate on old unused land.
    • spidystrider
    • By spidystrider 5th Aug 13, 4:07 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    spidystrider
    I was forced by my local council to stop renting out my driveway. I was told I would have to apply for planning permission for a change of use, which I wasn't interested in doing. We live near an airport and had quite a few regulars. We never had any complaints from neighbours and didn't cause any problems that we could think of. It would be great to be able to start up again one day. Fingers crossed, it gets sorted out .
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at 151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 6th Aug 13, 2:51 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 9,059 Thanks
    kboss2010
    My local council charges me 100 a year for the "privilege" of parking 3 streets away from my flat because I live in the city centre. Sometimes there are no spaces available. I understand the necessity of a parking permit system otherwise residents would not be able to park due to commuters but for such expensive permits it's clearly just a moneymaking scheme for the council.

I also find it very irritating that large commercial vans such as local tradespeople, BT/Sky engineers and the like are allowed residential permits. These are NOT private vehicles for domestic use and they often take up the space of 2 cars.

On my street alone there are at least 4 or 5 such vehicles and car owners often have to resort to parking illegally on pavements to get parked with a permit. One inconsiderate neighbour owns a huge camper van which is permanently parked in the same spot on the street and I'm convinced there are often people staying in it as it has a plastic children's step permanently placed underneath it.
    • SandBoy
    • By SandBoy 15th Aug 13, 2:14 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SandBoy
    We tried to do out of town parking at our premises and "free lift" people in to work and back......refused as I didnt have a license for hire and reward or PSV license....same as new year eve,when we used to put on a minibus to take people home (no charge) but apparently the reward came by means of them being able to purchase an event ticket in the knowledge they would be getting a lift home included!!!

Question:1) Now we have to enter our reg number for display on ticket,should not that mean we should only pay for the time we actually use that space to park?
    Or 2) Have I rented that space under contract for the time, say 3 hours but only use 30 mins,so therefore can I sub let the remainder of the time by "passing" the ticket on (free)?
    Surely there must be a legal way of stitching these greedy councils?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,011Posts Today

6,305Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The maths is wrong. Even if MPs weren't given a penny by the state in salary or expenses, it'd save a trivial count? https://t.co/Kgskcjd6eG

• What an utterly depressing watch this is. I think the MP handles it as well as possible. Good on him for not just t? https://t.co/LrSY56HbPA

• RT @Caitch22: @MartinSLewis Maybe the cheap housing, final salary scheme generation that want to tax the young should pay for their own car?

• Follow Martin