Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 2nd Aug 13, 9:52 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: House prices up at fastest rate in three years, Nationwide says
    • 2nd Aug 13, 9:52 AM
    MSE News: House prices up at fastest rate in three years, Nationwide says 2nd Aug 13 at 9:52 AM
    "House prices recorded their biggest annual uprising since August 2010 last month, says Nationwide..."

Read the full story:

House prices up at fastest rate in three years, Nationwide says

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 2nd Aug 13, 11:46 AM
    • 29,533 Posts
    • 102,373 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 2nd Aug 13, 11:46 AM
    • 2nd Aug 13, 11:46 AM
    May I be the first to say, "Don't miss the boat!"

(I certainly won't be the last! )
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• tim123456789
    • By tim123456789 2nd Aug 13, 11:56 AM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    tim123456789
    • 2nd Aug 13, 11:56 AM
    • 2nd Aug 13, 11:56 AM
    Without actually reading it, I would guess still seriously skewed by the Central London boom.

I've just bought a flat in town outside the M25 but well with the London commute zone and the price that I paid is the same as they were selling for: last year, the year before that, the year before that and the year before when they were new.

There are currently 5 on the complex for sale, 4 of them new releases and the EA's have tried to push the price up 10% (presumably because the market is booming!), but there's one that been for sale since the beginning of the year, that they've just reduced below the price that I paid (rats!).

I confidently predict that the ones for sale at the higher price will not reach the prices being asked and they will sell for the same as I paid.

So, no boom here.

tim
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 2nd Aug 13, 2:07 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 2nd Aug 13, 2:07 PM
    • 2nd Aug 13, 2:07 PM
    Ten year cycle.

2012 was bottom. Starts rising 2013, boom in 2007, burst in 2018.

1992 all over again.
  • Turnbull2000
    • 2nd Aug 13, 2:21 PM
    • 2nd Aug 13, 2:21 PM
    I warned last year the the market will gather momentum this summer. A significant upswing in prices was on the cards. And here we go...

For those sitting on the sidelines, this is possibly your last opportunity before we experience a major price adjustment based on ultra-low base rates and relentless government support.
    Last edited by Turnbull2000; 02-08-2013 at 2:25 PM.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • tim123456789
    • By tim123456789 2nd Aug 13, 6:34 PM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    tim123456789
    • 2nd Aug 13, 6:34 PM
    • 2nd Aug 13, 6:34 PM
    I warned last year the the market will gather momentum this summer. A significant upswing in prices was on the cards. And here we go...

For those sitting on the sidelines, this is possibly your last opportunity before we experience a major price adjustment based on ultra-low base rates and relentless government support.
    Originally posted by Turnbull2000
    before the crash, you mean

tim
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 2nd Aug 13, 6:41 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 4,441 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 2nd Aug 13, 6:41 PM
    • 2nd Aug 13, 6:41 PM
    This is more a sign of how flat house prices have been over the past 3 years than a sign of a boom.
    • Fraise
    • By Fraise 2nd Aug 13, 11:55 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Fraise
    • 2nd Aug 13, 11:55 PM
    • 2nd Aug 13, 11:55 PM
    I read somewhere that house prices are going to really rise in 2014.
    • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • By HAMISH_MCTAVISH 3rd Aug 13, 12:02 AM
    • 26,466 Posts
    • 60,790 Thanks
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • 3rd Aug 13, 12:02 AM
    • 3rd Aug 13, 12:02 AM
    House prices still "heavily undervalued" says top economist.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4731133
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
    -- President John F. Kennedy”
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 4th Aug 13, 9:00 AM
    • 7,051 Posts
    • 19,903 Thanks
    Doc N
    That's all we need, isn't it? A government-created housing bubble which is going to help nobody but itself.

House prices rise (pushing yet more people out of the market), homeowners feel good about their wealth and imagine that the government's not quite as bad as they thought it was. So they conside Conservative again as a voting option.

Then the bubble bursts (but after the election in 2015).

House price rises help nobody but people selling up and pulling out of the market altogether, or trading down. Anybody trading up or staying the same gains nothing. All smoke and mirrors created by governments to get votes.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 4th Aug 13, 10:04 AM
    • 29,533 Posts
    • 102,373 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by Turnbull2000
    Didn't take long!
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• SG27
    • By SG27 4th Aug 13, 10:12 AM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 1,926 Thanks
    SG27
    That's all we need, isn't it? A government-created housing bubble which is going to help nobody but itself.

House prices rise (pushing yet more people out of the market), homeowners feel good about their wealth and imagine that the government's not quite as bad as they thought it was. So they conside Conservative again as a voting option.

Then the bubble bursts (but after the election in 2015).

House price rises help nobody but people selling up and pulling out of the market altogether, or trading down. Anybody trading up or staying the same gains nothing. All smoke and mirrors created by governments to get votes.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Yeah that's how I see it. But the side effect is higher rents as less can afford to buy and more people on housing benefits meaning higher social housing costs for the government.

Labour did it and now the Torys are doing the same. That's what happens when governments only care about the next 4 years and effectively are destroying the country long term.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 4th Aug 13, 10:51 AM
    • 7,051 Posts
    • 19,903 Thanks
    Doc N
    That's what happens when governments only care about the next 4 years and effectively are destroying the country long term.
    Originally posted by SG27
    So very true - and probably the single greatest factor in the poor performance of the UK in both economic and social terms.

If Thtcher's government and its successors had invested our North Sea oil revenues in the way that Norway did, instead of squandering it on populist tax cuts in order to keep getting re-elected, imagine how different it would be to live in the UK now.

Always the same - s*d the country, let's get back into power.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,677Posts Today

6,118Users online

Martin's Twitter