Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 31st Jul 13, 1:02 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Aldi, Co-op and Waitrose to make price labels simpler
    • 31st Jul 13, 1:02 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Aldi, Co-op and Waitrose to make price labels simpler 31st Jul 13 at 1:02 PM
    "Aldi, The Co-operative and Waitrose say they'll improve their labels to back Which?'s Price It Right campaign..."

Read the full story:

Aldi, Co-op and Waitrose to make price labels simpler

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Coopdivi
    • By Coopdivi 31st Jul 13, 2:38 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    Coopdivi
    • 31st Jul 13, 2:38 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 2:38 PM
    I hope this also means that the till prices in the Co-op are going to be the same as the prices on the shelf edge labels because it's very annoying having to go through my receipts after every visit to see what they've overcharged me by.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 31st Jul 13, 5:04 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    • 31st Jul 13, 5:04 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 5:04 PM
    Salisbury's is another supermarket who could do with following these companies.

When ever you see a Bogof offer, the price per kilo is always for the price for the one item, never do give the price per kilo for the combined offer on the promotion info ticket.

I am good at doing the maths in my head BUT why should I have to.

Also Salisbury's has the old trick of doing the price per 100g or per 1 kilo so you have to work that out as well.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 31st Jul 13, 5:07 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    • 31st Jul 13, 5:07 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 5:07 PM
    I hope this also means that the till prices in the Co-op are going to be the same as the prices on the shelf edge labels because it's very annoying having to go through my receipts after every visit to see what they've overcharged me by.
    Originally posted by Coopdivi
    Think it's time to do away with the Epos. Bring back the price guns.

Seriously, H/O need to employe some people at head office who can actually work IT.
    Last edited by robin58; 31-07-2013 at 5:09 PM.
    How little I know.!!
  • fionajbanana
    • 31st Jul 13, 5:22 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 5:22 PM
    It won't affect how much a rip off the Co-op is.

As a relative told me Co-op does not stand for Co-oprative, but Costly Or Over Priced!
    • dazleech
    • By dazleech 31st Jul 13, 11:21 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    dazleech
    • 31st Jul 13, 11:21 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 11:21 PM
    Salisbury's is another supermarket who could do with following these companies.

When ever you see a Bogof offer, the price per kilo is always for the price for the one item, never do give the price per kilo for the combined offer on the promotion info ticket.

I am good at doing the maths in my head BUT why should I have to.

Also Salisbury's has the old trick of doing the price per 100g or per 1 kilo so you have to work that out as well.
    Originally posted by robin58
    I find the Price per 100g a useful measurement, as it allows you to cost on a consistent basis rather than having to work out of the 60g or the 80g bottle is cheaper, when it is scaled upto 100g, its easy to compare items.
    • taxiphil
    • By taxiphil 1st Aug 13, 2:38 AM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 3,334 Thanks
    taxiphil
    • 1st Aug 13, 2:38 AM
    • 1st Aug 13, 2:38 AM
    Perhaps Which? could also campaign for various legal loopholes in secondary legislation to be removed - loopholes that were only introduced at the behest of lobbyists from the food industry.

E.g. the Weights and Measures (Miscellaneous Foods) Order 1988/2040 exempts crisps and snacks under 25g and chocolate bars under 50g from the usual requirement to be marked for both weight and unit price (£ per gram).

The above order also exempts the need for multipacks to display the total weight if the individual packs are less than the weights above.

When you exploit these two loopholes simultaneously, you come up with the trickery that Walkers crisps has been getting away with for the last 15 years.

The order also allows for cereal biscuit breakfast foods to be marked by quantity of individual biscuits and not by weight, so the consumer isn't entitled to know that his Shredded Wheat or Weetabix has just magically "shrunk" by a few grams.
    • alinwales
    • By alinwales 1st Aug 13, 7:15 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    alinwales
    • 1st Aug 13, 7:15 AM
    • 1st Aug 13, 7:15 AM
    Fresh fruit and veg is always a pain when comparing to prebagged of the same, as the prebagged ones just say 'contains n fruits' or whatever. You have to then go weigh them to get the price/kg.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 1st Aug 13, 8:33 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 1st Aug 13, 8:33 AM
    • 1st Aug 13, 8:33 AM
    Who has time to look at the labels?

When they bring out the sell before date reduction stuff, you have barely enough time to look at the price before some other cheapskate grabs it. Only rich people who pay full price have time to look at labels.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 1st Aug 13, 2:11 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,535 Thanks
    Strider590
    What i'd like to see is all round cheap prices, not 3 for 2 "offers" (etc etc), that mean your having to buy 3 items to get anywhere near the actual retail price.

Stop with the BS marketing tactics, we want simple pricing.
    I can pay £1.89 for a bottle of Magners cider in Morrisons, or 3 for £5 (£1.66 each), OR I can go down the road to B&M and get as many as I like for £1.20 each...... Bunch of scam artists, seriously.

Aldi is one of the only supermarkets that doesn't pull this pricing nonsense and it's no surprise they're willing to comply.
    Last edited by Strider590; 01-08-2013 at 2:15 PM.
    ďI may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.Ē

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 1st Aug 13, 4:11 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    I can pay £1.89 for a bottle of Magners cider in Morrisons, or 3 for £5 (£1.66 each), OR I can go down the road to B&M and get as many as I like for £1.20 each...... Bunch of scam artists, seriously.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Or you can go to Scotland to buy single bottles of alcohol.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 3rd Aug 13, 1:31 PM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Who has time to look at the labels?

When they bring out the sell before date reduction stuff, you have barely enough time to look at the price before some other cheapskate grabs it. Only rich people who pay full price have time to look at labels.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    You grab the stuff, look at the labels, and then put it back if it's not cheap enough - or I do anyway. For most of the regularly reduced stuff, I've already looked at labels and worked out the price I'm willing to buy at, while waiting for the starting gun.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • robin58
    • By robin58 3rd Aug 13, 5:15 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    I find the Price per 100g a useful measurement, as it allows you to cost on a consistent basis rather than having to work out of the 60g or the 80g bottle is cheaper, when it is scaled upto 100g, its easy to compare items.
    Originally posted by dazleech
    I think I did not explained what i meant by my remark. It's when they show prices in the fruit and meat section is when they do this. Will show loose in kilos then packed prices in grams on shelf labels.
    How little I know.!!
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 3rd Aug 13, 5:23 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    I think I did not explained what i meant by my remark. It's when they show prices in the fruit and meat section is when they do this. Will show loose in kilos then packed prices in grams on shelf labels.
    Originally posted by robin58
    But I've only ever seen this as per kg or per 100 grammes. How on earth is that problematic?
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 5th Aug 13, 3:25 PM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    That wouldn't be a problem - but i've also seen unit pricing per each, per 100ml, per litre, and even per 100 l (that's a hundred times the pack size), all for similar items.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,373Posts Today

8,265Users online

Martin's Twitter