Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 29th Jul 13, 3:34 PM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    • 29th Jul 13, 3:34 PM
    • 29th Jul 13, 3:34 PM
    I seldom get to visit any of the more expensive hotels so I don't get access to the likes of bath robe and slippers but I doubt if I would take them anyway.
    I will admit to taking toiletries, complimentary food and pens etc.
  • Battleaxe44
    • 29th Jul 13, 3:39 PM
    • 29th Jul 13, 3:39 PM
    I thought if you took the robes etc, they charged you for it. I am never sure about the quality of the shampoo and stuff, always take my own.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 29th Jul 13, 5:02 PM
    • 6,420 Posts
    • 2,965 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 29th Jul 13, 5:02 PM
    • 29th Jul 13, 5:02 PM
    Last time I stayed in a hotel, was paid for by work, I took the 2 free bottles of water and the biscuits and tea/coffee sachets. It was a DeVere hotel in Bolton. I was going to take the shower/shampoo bottles but forgot to take them even though I used some of them as I didn't take my own stuff. Meaning the cleaners would have binned them anyway.
  • madmogs
    • 29th Jul 13, 5:08 PM
    • 29th Jul 13, 5:08 PM
    I'm one of the boring many, it seems: shampoo/conditioner/soap etc

But only if I've already started the bottle and if I don't know whether the next place I'm staying has toiletries (i.e. if going from a hotel to a hostel)
  • nutty_girl_2001
    • 29th Jul 13, 5:09 PM
    • 29th Jul 13, 5:09 PM
    Who took the TV???!!!
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 29th Jul 13, 5:10 PM
    • 17,253 Posts
    • 26,865 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 29th Jul 13, 5:10 PM
    I've never stayed in a really posh hotel with bathrobes, slippers etc. I do take the toiletries though as they are thrown out anyway
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 29th Jul 13, 5:10 PM
    • 10,543 Posts
    • 38,426 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Complimentary = given free of charge
    so I've taken unused coffee sachets, advertising pens and part used toiletries. I have also taken the flimsy free slippers I'd been using on the grounds that they'd be binned anyway.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Lagoon
    • 29th Jul 13, 5:12 PM
    • 29th Jul 13, 5:12 PM
    I've never taken anything from a hotel room. I think it's rude, and it leads to an increase in hotel prices.

When I'm there I'll occasionally use the toiletries, though I usually prefer my own. I might eat biscuits, and if there's hot chocolate I'll have a mug before bed as a treat, but if I don't use something whilst there then there's no way I'd pack it to take away.
  • fionajbanana
    I take the Top 4 responses in the poll - tea. coffee, buscuits, pens and toiletries.

I have used the contents of the bottles and given them to friends and family that are travelling with hand luggage only on planes.
  • scubavicky
    The things that they leave and expect you to consume - tea, coffee biscuits etc etc are already included in the price so really they belong to you. Travelodge are cheap so they don't supply toiletries to keep cost down. I love the episode of friends where Chandler and Ross pack everything from their hotel room
    • rebeccak
    • By rebeccak 29th Jul 13, 5:25 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    rebeccak
    I don't take any biscuits/chocolates when I check out as they never last that long - First thing I do when I check in is make myself a cup of tea and eat any biscuits on offer! The little bottles of shampoo etc are really handy when travelling with hand luggage.

I didn't use to take any of tea bags etc but now I sometimes take the odd sachet of coffee or sugar. I don't drink coffee or take sugar in my tea and no one who regularly visits me does so I don't want to buy a big jar of coffee and bag of sugar that are just going to clog up space and slowly go out of date in my cupboards but it's useful to have a sachet or two at home just in case. Seeing as they never seem to give you more than two teabags and I end up re-issuing them during my stay, I think I'm entitled to the odd sachet of coffee! I definitely wouldn't take anything else though.
    • double mummy
    • By double mummy 29th Jul 13, 5:28 PM
    • 3,891 Posts
    • 6,090 Thanks
    double mummy
    who took a tv lol
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 29th Jul 13, 10:21 PM
    • 143,439 Posts
    • 4,073,268 Thanks
    fire**fly
    admitting to taking

Coffee/tea/sugar sachets

Shampoo/conditioners/soap/shower gel

was a while back though
    Please be a responsible pet owner & spay / neuter your pets, so many unwanted pets & not enough homes for them all unfortunately.

• Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 29th Jul 13, 10:40 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    I take and use my own toiletries anyway, prefer to use what I like to what they provide.

The tea/biscuits are complimentary, meaning to me they are mine, whether I eat them on or off the premises, if I take them with me it isn't stealing (though I normally wouldn't bother, if I don't eat them can I be arsed to pack up some biscuits and tea/coffee sachets? I might take the drinks to consume on the way home)

Taking any of the other things, firstly I'd expect them to charge you for, secondly is theft!
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 29th Jul 13, 11:07 PM
    • 6,168 Posts
    • 21,705 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    who took a tv lol
    Originally posted by double mummy
    Sorry, I can't hear you for my 27 extra TVs....

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 29th Jul 13, 11:38 PM
    • 11,003 Posts
    • 20,785 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I've stayed in the Malmaison a couple of times before and their free toiletries are amazing. Last time I was there I was making up a big box of goodies for my mate for Xmas and she loves the toiletries from there so I put them into the box with some of the handy sachets of coffee She loved them When we stayed in the Crowne Plaza for our awards ball in April they left aromatherapy sleep kits on the pillow so my mate swiped those My Mum stays in loads of hotels as she travels a lot and she always swipes the toiletries for me for when I go away I must say I did once pinch the do not disturb sign off one room I stayed in..
    Open University Graduate 2017; MA at DMU complete 2018- MERIT!! Round 2 OU 2018- BSc Combined STEM (Sports Psychology) Year 1 Complete! E117 (Passed) and DE100. Year 2- K220 and E235.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Civil Partnership 15/02/20
    Strictly 2019- TEAM RAMSEY!
    Elle
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 30th Jul 13, 10:07 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 3,556 Thanks
    Kite2010
    Toiletries, they will be thrown away so might as well take them, some high quality shampoos from hotels I've stayed in.

Plus hotel pen and notepad, sometimes even the door key card if its unique to that hotel.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 30th Jul 13, 10:23 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Lot of trolls on this one. At the last count 39 TVs have been stolen.

Oh and if someone could explain to me the practicalities of stealing a duvet from a hotel room....

You can't make this up. Oh wait, you can!
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 30th Jul 13, 10:30 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 3,556 Thanks
    Kite2010
    American hotel rooms, the place where massive CRT TVs live. Hard to steal one of those things.

I even saw one tied down with a laptop cable lock.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

473Posts Today

6,425Users online

Martin's Twitter