Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 9th Jul 13, 12:49 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: British Gas standing charges cut from eight to one
    • 9th Jul 13, 12:49 PM
    MSE News: British Gas standing charges cut from eight to one 9th Jul 13 at 12:49 PM
    "British Gas is going to replace numerous standing charges with just one per fuel, to make it easier to compare prices..."

Read the full story:

British Gas standing charges cut from eight to one

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Coopdivi
    • By Coopdivi 9th Jul 13, 3:51 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    Coopdivi
    • 9th Jul 13, 3:51 PM
    • 9th Jul 13, 3:51 PM
    Why not abolish it altogether?

A standing charge especially penalises low users who tend to be poorer.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 9th Jul 13, 4:46 PM
    • 27,830 Posts
    • 13,697 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 9th Jul 13, 4:46 PM
    • 9th Jul 13, 4:46 PM

Originally posted by Coopdivi
    We could have a tier system where you pay more for the first xxxkWh.
  • JamesMason
    • 9th Jul 13, 5:45 PM
    • 9th Jul 13, 5:45 PM
    Helen, I understand the industry is being forced to simplify tariffs as part of the energy bill. Is more a regulatory change, rather than BG being fairer off its own back?

James
    • wakeupalarm
    • By wakeupalarm 9th Jul 13, 6:28 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    wakeupalarm
    • 9th Jul 13, 6:28 PM
    • 9th Jul 13, 6:28 PM

Originally posted by Coopdivi
    or rewards second home owners who tend to be richer.
    • wakeupalarm
    • By wakeupalarm 9th Jul 13, 6:35 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    wakeupalarm
    • 9th Jul 13, 6:35 PM
    • 9th Jul 13, 6:35 PM
    We could have a tier system where you pay more for the first xxxkWh.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Ofgem defines a low user as someone who uses 11,000kWh of Gas and/or 2,100kWh of Electric. Under the 2 tier system that's been scraped those levels of usage would make no difference at all compared to standing charge billing.
  • hanlou007
    • 9th Jul 13, 8:31 PM
    • 9th Jul 13, 8:31 PM
    or rewards second home owners who tend to be richer.
    Originally posted by wakeupalarm
    I'm not rich and i must be paying for thousands and thousands of scroungers homes to be heated !!!!
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 9th Jul 13, 9:21 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    • 9th Jul 13, 9:21 PM
    • 9th Jul 13, 9:21 PM
    British Gas says the move, which it has implemented after Ofgem calls to make the market simpler for consumers, won't push bills up or down
    Why are you not calling out this explicit lie!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th Jul 13, 1:16 PM
    • 9,196 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 10th Jul 13, 1:16 PM
    • 10th Jul 13, 1:16 PM
    Sorry - I fail to see how this won't affect my bill
    I am a low user - paying about £600 pa dual fuel - if they raise the standing charge - it MUST raise my bill (unless the £/Kwh drops - which it WON'T)
  • icelolly
    British Gas
    British Gas have been ripping us off for ages. Never trust them. Too many confusing tarrifs. Energy companies, fuel companies, phone companies, rail/bus operators all love it in rip off Uk
    • bob bank spanker
    • By bob bank spanker 10th Jul 13, 9:09 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    bob bank spanker
    British Gas have been ripping us off for ages. Never trust them. Too many confusing tarrifs. Energy companies, fuel companies, phone companies, rail/bus operators all love it in rip off Uk
    Originally posted by icelolly
    On your bike then.
    • Scottishmummy
    • By Scottishmummy 11th Jul 13, 12:39 AM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    Scottishmummy
    I am on a BG tariff that doesn't have a standing charge but the unit price is more expensive. This is no longer available to new customers though. For the two years previous to last we definitely saved money this way however last year we changed our cooker to all gas instead of dual fuel and our gas bill has shot up. We will be changing the cooker back (we never got round to selling the old one) and hope that the bill comes down again otherwise the 6 hours I did comparing tariffs will come in handy.
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 11th Jul 13, 5:48 AM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    last year we changed our cooker to all gas instead of dual fuel and our gas bill has shot up. We will be changing the cooker back (we never got round to selling the old one) and hope that the bill comes down again
    Originally posted by Scottishmummy
    You are seriously trying to say that the cost of the electricity to run a cooker is less than the cost of gas for a gas one? It really takes a pathological situation for the sums to work out that way. It is possible but extremely unlikely. Do you have no gas central heating or gas hot water?
  • Wywth
    What about those on BG's old standard tariff? Will they be forced into paying a standing charge?

I remember it was British Gas that first introduced the no standing charge tariffs to the energy industry, because they said it offered a fairer method of charging. So what's changed?
  • Wywth
    Sorry - I fail to see how this won't affect my bill
    I am a low user - paying about £600 pa dual fuel - if they raise the standing charge - it MUST raise my bill (unless the £/Kwh drops - which it WON'T)
    Originally posted by 21Twinkle
    The article says they haven't decided on the level of standing charge yet.

Perhaps they will lower yours, so following your logic, will reduce your bill
    • Scottishmummy
    • By Scottishmummy 11th Jul 13, 12:05 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    Scottishmummy
    Do you have no gas central heating or gas hot water?
    Originally posted by Nada666
    We have both but the only change we have made is to increase our gas usage with the cooker. The winter was nowhere near as cold as the previous two winters so not the heating that is an issue.
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 11th Jul 13, 1:50 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    As you do have such it is very unlikely that electric cooking is cheaper. If you were comparing tier 1 gas for cooking with tier 2 electric for cooking there is an outside chance that the 100% efficiency and fancy fans could outweigh the cheaper kWh cost of gas. But as you are using tier 2 units for both then gas cooking will be cheaper. 4p or 4.5p for gas versus 11p or 13p for electricity - I cannot see how your sums work.
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 11th Jul 13, 6:05 PM
    • 2,267 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    Joyful
    Scottishmummy

This last winter my usage was approx the same as 2 years ago. Both winters were very cold so don't compare it to last year. It is very unlikely that your cooker is at fault. Why not use the cooker when your heating is off to see what it is using?
    ****Released the reins and am now Self employed****
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 16th Jul 13, 10:16 AM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    British Gas
    Been with British Gas as a duel fuel customer for years. Their idea of simplifying prices was to push me to another supplier. Can' believe standing charge changes will not lead to higher bills. We've always done price comparisons and it was never worth changing until BG made things simpler. We've now swithced to EDF blue fixed, which is £120 a year cheaper to start with, and fixed until 2015. As more and more customers desert BG, their standing charges will have to fill the gap
  • Wywth
    Been with British Gas as a duel fuel customer for years. Their idea of simplifying prices was to push me to another supplier. Can' believe standing charge changes will not lead to higher bills. We've always done price comparisons and it was never worth changing until BG made things simpler. We've now swithced to EDF blue fixed, which is £120 a year cheaper to start with, and fixed until 2015. As more and more customers desert BG, their standing charges will have to fill the gap
    Originally posted by Bigphil1474
    You are aware that EDF Blue has daily standing charges applied?

But you have done the right thing by consulting a comparison site to find the best deal for you
    If you save £120 a year, sounds like you should have done the comparison ages ago
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,072Users online

Martin's Twitter