Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 20th Jun 13, 1:43 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Dwell ceases trading Q&A: your rights
    • 20th Jun 13, 1:43 PM
    MSE News: Dwell ceases trading Q&A: your rights 20th Jun 13 at 1:43 PM
    "Furniture chain Dwell has today ceased trading, with all 23 stores to close immediately and no customer orders delivered ..."

Read the full story:
    Dwell ceases trading Q&A: your rights

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 2
  • interiors100
    Any fast ideas?
    I bought a dining table in March and knew i had a 3-4 week wait.They never contacted me so I followed up the order to which the reply was that it will be due in may/June.
    Ok,so June came and I called again to which their reply was that it will be delivered in July.
    That was acceptable aswell until I heard they had gone into liquidation.

I now have no table and they have my clients money.Paid outright by Visa debit card.

I know that I don't stand as much assurance of returned funds with a debit card but I wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas?
    Can I claim liquidated stock?
    Can I join a creditors list to guarantee my clients money returned?

As a small business this kind of disappointment to a customer leaves a large dent in my reputation.

Can anyone give advice or contact details of the liquidators/administrators acting on behalf of Dwell OR any other routes forward.
    Thanks!
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 27th Jun 13, 4:10 PM
    • 18,660 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I know that I don't stand as much assurance of returned funds with a debit card but I wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas?
    Can anyone give advice or contact details of the liquidators/administrators acting on behalf of Dwell OR any other routes forward.
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by interiors100
    Did you read the article linked to in the original post?
    Especially the bit:
    If you bought goods on a debit card, or goods under £100 on a credit card, you may still be able to claim for faulty goods under the Visa, Mastercard or American Express chargeback schemes, though this only applies within the first 120 days after buying the goods. The protection is less strong than Section 75, but it's certainly worth a try.
    That is by far your best option at the moment.

I notice that you are a business dealing with Dwell.
    No idea whether the chargeback scheme applies to business arrangements.
    Certainly credit card section 75 protection is a feature of the consumer credit act 1974.

The Administrator's contact details are in post #17.
  • dalesrider
    This was in the main article by Martin:
    Faulty items are treated in the same way as those that never turn up, so card firms may have to pay out.
    Originally posted by SouthernBird
    Well as someone who works in a disputes department and deals with chargebacks on a daily basis.
    This is totally wrong.

I'm quite fond of quoting this.
    We're a journalistic website and aim to provide the best MoneySaving guides, tips, tools and techniques, but can't guarantee to be perfect, so do note you use the information at your own risk and we can't accept liability if things go wrong.
    With the best will in the world. How much do you believe that you read in the press....

Does a missing piece count as faulty, i mean the item is not fit for purpose, if i can track down a manufacturer in UK than brilliant but I dont see this being easy.

I will call the administrators in my break.
    Originally posted by SouthernBird

Yes a missing part would fall under faulty.
    Also part of the faulty regulations is that the goods have to be returned, or you have tried to return.... Now if the retailer is not there. How can you return the goods???
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • cheapo21
    Never seen anyone in the shop? they used to send out a catalogue whichmust have been expensive....had they not heard of the internet? Bad news peopleare losing out again.
    • thatguy1
    • By thatguy1 3rd Jul 13, 11:53 AM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 23,013 Thanks
    thatguy1
    https://www.facebook.com/dwellretailuk/posts/586673094686877

3rd July 2013 - Dwell, the furniture retailer, has been saved from disappearing off British high streets thanks to its founder Aamir Ahmad returning to lead the company. Ahmad's plan will save over 150 jobs and keep the business operating from at least five stores and the web.

From Saturday 6th July, dwell will reopen their stores in Tottenham Court Road, Westfield White City, Westfield Stratford, Barton Square in Manchester and Lakeside in Thurrock. Talks with other landlords are underway with a hope that additional stores and jobs can be saved. Dwell’s online store (www.dwell.co.uk) will also reopen on Thursday. Advice to customers who have outstanding orders will be available on the company’s social media platforms.

Ahmad founded dwell with his family and friends in 2003 and successfully grew it over 9 years, but along with his co-founders was replaced in November last year. He will be stepping back in to run the business as CEO. Ahmad comments: “Our priority lies with the customers and suppliers who have been let down by the former management. We are working hard to try and resolve the issues, in particular outstanding customer orders. Although we are not legally obliged to, we are doing everything we can to find a solution for customers who have lost out. Our primary goal is to help customer and suppliers regain their trust in the dwell brand.”
  • Former MSE Darryl
    MSE News: Dwell rescued, but no news on remaining orders
    "Parts of furniture company Dwell have been rescued from administration by its founder, but customers who haven't received their orders still have no idea whether they'll get their goods...."

Read the full story:

Dwell rescued, but no news on remaining orders

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

• heynads
    I am considering buying a sofa from dwell since it has now re-opened. Does any one have any advice about purchasing from such companies who have re-opened having been shut down/in administration. IS this a good idea in view of recent events? Many thanks
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 4th Jul 13, 4:54 PM
    • 18,660 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I am considering buying a sofa from dwell since it has now re-opened. Does any one have any advice about purchasing from such companies who have re-opened having been shut down/in administration. IS this a good idea in view of recent events? Many thanks
    Originally posted by heynads
    My advice is to be sure to use a credit card.
  • dalesrider
    My advice is to be sure to use a credit card.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    My advice make sure you take the goods away with you....

Great how the old boy has taken over and the site is up and running again.
    But makes no mention about people who have bought goods and not received them.

Our priority lies with the customers and suppliers who have been let down by the former management," said Mr Ahmad.
    "We are working hard to try and resolve the issues, in particular outstanding customer orders."

"Although we are not legally obliged to, we are doing everything we can to find a solution for customers who have lost out. Our primary goal is to help customers and suppliers regain their trust in the Dwell brand."

If that is the case then why is there not something on the site to help these hard done by people and what they might be able to do to assist them....

So reading between the lines. Its tough luck.... For anyone that is owed, but he is going to make a fast buck....
    Will be interesting to see just how much was paid to secure this deal....
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • peeeeete
    Aamir Ahmad should be put behind bars. The sofa that I ordered in March is sitting in their warehouse (along with 5 others) and is now being sold to someone else (only 1 week delivery times now apparently - not 11 weeks). I paid for it in full, it is my property, but for some reason Mr Ahmad thinks that he is entitled to steal my property and sell it again. I hope nothing but bad things happen to him and his dodgy company.

How can this be legal at all?
    • cloud1
    • By cloud1 7th Jul 13, 7:48 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cloud1
    Aamir Ahmad should be put behind bars. The sofa that I ordered in March is sitting in their warehouse (along with 5 others) and is now being sold to someone else (only 1 week delivery times now apparently - not 11 weeks). I paid for it in full, it is my property, but for some reason Mr Ahmad thinks that he is entitled to steal my property and sell it again. I hope nothing but bad things happen to him and his dodgy company.

How can this be legal at all?
    Originally posted by peeeeete
    I'm in the same boat, I ordered a corner sofa, a sideboard and a shoe cupboard MONTHS ago and Dwell told me on the phone on Friday that essentially they are a new company now and old company orders will not be honoured.

First of all that's disgusting.

Second, why are they putting out statements implying they will make sure existing orders would be honoured.

Third, they have stock of all the items, so someone else can order them!

Someone needs to raise the profile of this terrible situation, made even worse by the new owner essentially telling lies in public.

It's a bitter pill to swallow to know that if I want this furniture I'm going to have to order it twice, knowing that they are shafting loyal customers willingly without remorse.

A deeply disturbing company.
  • jrm1979
    Definitely worth sending the chargeback letter to your bank. I was hoping rather than expecting, seeing as I paid via debit card.

Sent the letter less than two weeks ago and I've received the £120 refund in my account today. My initial purchase was 28th Jan 2013.

Happy.
  • dalesrider
    Definitely worth sending the chargeback letter to your bank. I was hoping rather than expecting, seeing as I paid via debit card.

Sent the letter less than two weeks ago and I've received the £120 refund in my account today. My initial purchase was 28th Jan 2013.

Happy.
    Originally posted by jrm1979
    Don't send letters..... RING them. Ask for the disputes team.

Someone recently lost a lot of money by just sending a letter template in and then not responding to messages to contact their bank to resolve the issue. As it pushed it passed the timescale for the chargeback.
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
    • squirter99
    • By squirter99 11th Jul 13, 11:26 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    squirter99
    Originally posted by heynads
    The new company are still not delivering on items bought from the website, but at least they are not taking money either. I ordered a sofa at the weekend and a few days ago I was told they weren't able to deliver because they had yet to put their delivery processes in place, and today I was told that they are awaiting a merchant account before they can begin trading. So although they promise delivery times on the website, they're not yet in a position to honour anything at this present moment.
  • heynads
    very sorry to hear about the losses people have suffered, and people are right how can the company sell items that essentially belong to someone else. I think i will buy from some where else on principal. I really hope others retrieve something out of this mess.
    • cloud1
    • By cloud1 12th Jul 13, 6:45 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cloud1
    I'm in the same boat, I ordered a corner sofa, a sideboard and a shoe cupboard MONTHS ago and Dwell told me on the phone on Friday that essentially they are a new company now and old company orders will not be honoured.

First of all that's disgusting.

Second, why are they putting out statements implying they will make sure existing orders would be honoured.

Third, they have stock of all the items, so someone else can order them!

Someone needs to raise the profile of this terrible situation, made even worse by the new owner essentially telling lies in public.

It's a bitter pill to swallow to know that if I want this furniture I'm going to have to order it twice, knowing that they are shafting loyal customers willingly without remorse.

A deeply disturbing company.
    Originally posted by cloud1
    The sideboard is now not being sold on their website, I can only imagine because someone else bought the last one.

I want to swear but I don't want to get banned!
  • peeeeete
    Two great emails today. The first is a letter from the "new" MD (not the old one that stepped away 6 months before going into administration and then came back and swiped the fully paid-for items awaiting delivery in the distribution warehouse!):

"When my co-founders and I returned to the business last week, we were shocked by the number of outstanding orders that had not been processed. The prior management team have clearly let many customers down, including you.

Having returned to the business, our goal is to try and regain your trust in Dwell. Therefore we will try our best to find a solution that works for you. Please contact us on 0845 675 9090 or visit a store and we will do whatever we can to help.

I am really sorry for how you have been treated. I hope you will bear with us whilst we rebuild the business and, as a valued customer, I hope that we can rebuild your faith as well."

Well, according to customer services at "new" Dwell the "solution that works for you" is to try and claim back through you bank and re-buy the items that you previously bought (and probably have your name on already). Fat chance I'm giving these chancers any more cash!

This was followed by another email "Don't forget, up to 50% off at our huge clearance event". I like the new tag line they put at the bottom: "see it > buy it > take it away".

It's funny how you can turn a "11 week wait because everything is made to order" system into a "we have lots of stock to buy immediately because we stole our previous customers items" system. Brilliant!

I will be going down to the store tomorrow and if they continue to treat me like dirt I'll not sure I won't be able to stop myself from shouting at someone.

Hopefully word-of-mouth will spread about this dodgy company and they will fold again before they can cause much more damage

If you want a laugh, look on their website and they have a page about "ethical sourcing"! Priceless!
    Last edited by peeeeete; 12-07-2013 at 11:13 PM.
  • peeeeete
    Update: Went to the store to see what the "do whatever we can to help” means. It means that if you paid cash (I.e. you have completely lost your money and can't try to reclaim anything) then they will give you a discount when you buy your goods from them for the second time! If you paid by card, then their help consists of telling you to claim back through them. How very helpful of them!

At least I can take comfort in the fact that they aren't shifting furniture - the stock levels for my sofa are the same as last week.

Stay away from Dwell at all costs - they are crooks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,574Posts Today

6,289Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Can't believe my luck. Just got this email My name is Manuel Franco. I won $768.4m Lottery Jackpot. I have a don? https://t.co/OSYkS7tu2c

• It should be a poll. You are implying your view is the only view anyone can hold. Clearly the poll results show tha? https://t.co/ur0ejJ1fjB

• Today's Twitter Poll: Is milkshaking legitimate political protest or unacceptable thuggery? In recent weeks a few? https://t.co/hjCpu9zqwZ

• Follow Martin