Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 24th Jun 13, 3:31 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    '"Who can I complain to if a shop is overpricing goods?"' blog discussion
    • 24th Jun 13, 3:31 PM
    '"Who can I complain to if a shop is overpricing goods?"' blog discussion 24th Jun 13 at 3:31 PM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 1
  • Slowhand
    • 24th Jun 13, 3:51 PM
    • 24th Jun 13, 3:51 PM
    "Got some headphones at Sainsbury’s for £18, then went into another of its stores where they were £10 more expensive. Would I have had a right to get them at the cheaper price?"A quote from the link. It does not read as being correct to me as you did get them £10 cheaper than the second store.
    • halibut2209
    • By halibut2209 24th Jun 13, 3:56 PM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    halibut2209
    • 24th Jun 13, 3:56 PM
    • 24th Jun 13, 3:56 PM
    Hence the word "Would"
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • ILW
    • 24th Jun 13, 3:59 PM
    • 24th Jun 13, 3:59 PM
    Define "overprice".
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 24th Jun 13, 4:04 PM
    • 12,127 Posts
    • 13,641 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 24th Jun 13, 4:04 PM
    • 24th Jun 13, 4:04 PM
    I went to buy a fridge from Currys last week.

I'd already looked online and found one at £99, but when I got the store, they were charging £119 for it.

When I queried it, they said that price was "web only". So rather than argue the case, I simply used my phone to order one from their website whilst I was standing at the cash desk.

Sometimes, you just have to stand up for yourself - whether the shop is "technically" right or not.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 24th Jun 13, 6:12 PM
    • 22,823 Posts
    • 18,832 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 24th Jun 13, 6:12 PM
    • 24th Jun 13, 6:12 PM
    I'm not sure what sort of discussion you are expecting, and why you feel this board is the right place for a discussion anyway. The fact is that the blog has set out the position on retail pricing, end of discussion.
  • dalesrider
    • 24th Jun 13, 6:33 PM
    • 24th Jun 13, 6:33 PM
    Plenty of places (usually furniture stores) at (on going)sale's advertise that product was priced at for x days at a certain store.

Of course the OP. Could buy a 2nd product at the cheap store and return the expensive one.....
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 24th Jun 13, 6:41 PM
    • 18,660 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 24th Jun 13, 6:41 PM
    • 24th Jun 13, 6:41 PM
    Of course the OP. Could buy a 2nd product at the cheap store and return the expensive one.....
    Originally posted by dalesrider
    Well they could only do that if the store's returns policy allowed it.

There is no statutory right to return goods that are not faulty.
    • Million Percent
    • By Million Percent 24th Jun 13, 7:38 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Million Percent
    • 24th Jun 13, 7:38 PM
    • 24th Jun 13, 7:38 PM
    I can't believe anyone thinks it out of order that something costs more in a convenience store than it does in a large superstore.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 24th Jun 13, 8:41 PM
    • 13,664 Posts
    • 8,655 Thanks
    arcon5
    I like the article, its makes it very clear a shop can sell at whatever price it likes and the consumer has no statutory rights to anything.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 24th Jun 13, 11:23 PM
    • 12,127 Posts
    • 13,641 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I'd prefer it if the retailers didn't have everything on their side on this.

I stood behind someone at the Cinema refreshments till the other day.

He bought a 750ml bottle of still water (not even a fancy brand). It cost £2.75. I had a 500ml bottle of still water in my pocket that I bought from Aldi in a pack of 12 - it cost me the equivalent of 17p.

I totally understand that cinemas need to make money from refreshments, but there must be something slightly wrong when a product is subject to a 1600% markup.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Enfieldian
    • By Enfieldian 25th Jun 13, 8:15 AM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 2,755 Thanks
    Enfieldian

He bought a 750ml bottle of still water (not even a fancy brand). It cost £2.75. I had a 500ml bottle of still water in my pocket that I bought from Aldi in a pack of 12 - it cost me the equivalent of 17p.

I totally understand that cinemas need to make money from refreshments, but there must be something slightly wrong when a product is subject to a 1600% markup.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    People are paying these prices so there is nothing wrong there at all.

Cinema goers are a captive audience, not everybody is as smart as those of us that plan ahead and take our own food & drink.

Similarly, if you break down and need to join the AA or RAC by the roadside then it will be more expensive than if you already had taken out cover, otherwise nobody would bother and everyone would wait until the problem arose.
    Last edited by Enfieldian; 25-06-2013 at 8:18 AM.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 25th Jun 13, 8:18 AM
    • 13,664 Posts
    • 8,655 Thanks
    arcon5
    As long as the price is clear then whether its 17p or £2.50 is irrelevant - nobodies forcing you to buy it. You should have brought your own bottle of water in.

Plus how would be even regulate prices? Especially with vastly varying overheads between ecommerce and a high street shop, between a high street shop and a moto station, between companies with automation and companies intensive with labour, between service sector and manufacturing.

Then what about iPhones costing so much compared to lessor brands with similar products.

How far do we take it, based on overall profits? Based on market sizes? Energy companies for example makes hundreds of millions but actually convert a very very tiny amount of money per customer.

To think its a good idea to control prices is crazy and defies the whole point of commerce. Once we start dictating how business should be run is when we see the advances in technology etc slow down due to the reduced reward factor.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 25th Jun 13, 8:24 AM
    • 12,277 Posts
    • 27,012 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR

Then more fool him!

Some people could not care less what they pay for things and cannot be bothered to shop around, that is why he paid what he did and you took your cheaper one with you.
    • Million Percent
    • By Million Percent 25th Jun 13, 9:38 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Million Percent
    And there was probably someone else who filled a bottle from the tap at home and saved the 17p you spent.

I understand your point but nobody is forced to pay those prices. Maybe this guy learned his lesson and will bring his own next time or maybe he is wealthy enough that spending a few quid is preferable for the convenience.

Either way, consumers must be able to determine the relative value of a product and choose to not purchase if they think it's not worth the price. If enough people refused to pay the prices, they would come down.

Aside from anti-competitive activities and price fixing etc. businesses must be free to set their own prices and consumers are free to haggle or choose not to buy.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 25th Jun 13, 10:49 AM
    • 12,127 Posts
    • 13,641 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    It's an interesting topic - and I agree there are no obvious or desirable answers.

In my case, I kind of know that my very cheap Unlimited cinema- going is subsidised by others paying full price for their tickets and refreshments. So as long as the cinema doesn't start patting people down for illicit drinks & snacks, it is a happy compromise.

Interestingly, my cinema recently introduced a 25% discount on refreshments for Unlimited customers - I assume that this is to try to get them to spend more. But if you are going several times a month, this is still too expensive IMHO. (It gets to the stage where your refreshments would cost you more than the cinema ticket).

I suppose the other angle is when overpricing makes the transition into misdescription. That is where there is the potential/the intention to deceive customers.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 25-06-2013 at 10:51 AM.

• somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 25th Jun 13, 11:26 AM
    • 9,119 Posts
    • 8,806 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    I suppose the other angle is when overpricing makes the transition into misdescription. That is where there is the potential/the intention to deceive customers.
    Care to elaborate with an example? I cannot see where a price alone would infer anything that would fit a (mis)description.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • ILW
    Care to elaborate with an example? I cannot see where a price alone would infer anything that would fit a (mis)description.
    Originally posted by somethingcorporate
    Reduced from XXX to XXX possibly.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 25th Jun 13, 3:00 PM
    • 12,127 Posts
    • 13,641 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Originally posted by somethingcorporate
    I'm thinking Bid TV, where starting price (sometimes combined with misleading commentary) has been used to deceive - according to the regulator, anyway.

Also, not exactly "price" as such, but payday lenders, dubious competitions, etc. where the price is emphasised, de-emphasised or structured in a particular way to create a particular perception.

• Nick The Greek

The guy probably saw £2.75 worth of value in not having to carry a bottle of water around in his pocket all day which he ultimately might not want. Years ago i put a bottle of water in my wife's bag and it leaked and ruined a £600 phone - I wish i had paid £2.75 instead
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

34Posts Today

4,434Users online

Martin's Twitter