Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 18th Jun 13, 12:46 PM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    • 18th Jun 13, 12:46 PM
    • 18th Jun 13, 12:46 PM
    The article is somewhat incorrect referring to 'live TV'.
    You don't need a licence to watch (for example) CNN US or NASA TV streaming at the same time it is broadcast.
    You need a licence to watch in real-time a licensed UK TV broadcast station.
    You don't need one if you are receiving satellite TV from a broadcaster not regulated under the UK TV broadcast laws, or live youtube or other streaming shows from providers that are not so regulated.

You do need a licence to watch live Sky/BBC/ITV/all commercial UK broadcasters.
    Last edited by rogerblack; 18-06-2013 at 12:53 PM.
  • Wywth
    • 18th Jun 13, 1:08 PM
    • 18th Jun 13, 1:08 PM
    You don't need a licence to watch (for example) CNN US or NASA TV streaming at the same time it is broadcast.
    You need a licence to watch in real-time a licensed UK TV broadcast station.
    You don't need one if you are receiving satellite TV from a broadcaster not regulated under the UK TV broadcast laws, or live youtube or other streaming shows from providers that are not so regulated.

You do need a licence to watch live Sky/BBC/ITV/all commercial UK broadcasters.
    Originally posted by rogerblack
    Source please?

According to the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004, Part 3, 9(2)

In this regulation, any reference to receiving a television programme service includes a reference to receiving by any means any programme included in that service, where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public by virtue of its being broadcast or distributed as part of that service.
    I see no mention or restriction of where those broadcasts originate from.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Jun 13, 1:16 PM
    • 23,596 Posts
    • 12,933 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 18th Jun 13, 1:16 PM
    • 18th Jun 13, 1:16 PM
    Not another license thread!
    Cue the usual suspects queuing up in a never ending spiral of claim and counter claim!
    I predict a hundred posts by the end of the week!
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 18th Jun 13, 1:33 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 18th Jun 13, 1:33 PM
    • 18th Jun 13, 1:33 PM
    Not another licence thread!
    Cue the usual suspects queuing up in a never ending spiral of claim and counter claim!
    I predict a hundred posts by the end of the week!
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    ....and, as the first post after the OP contained an inaccurate claim about non-UK TV broadcasts, it's likely that half (at least) of the 100 will be similarly inaccurate!
    Last edited by Heinz; 18-06-2013 at 1:40 PM.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • thelawnet
    • By thelawnet 18th Jun 13, 1:36 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    thelawnet
    • 18th Jun 13, 1:36 PM
    • 18th Jun 13, 1:36 PM
    Why would you tell the BBC or Crapita anything? Bin the letters, and if they come to your door tell them to go away. We are not accountable to the BBC.

Also this is misleading

"While most of the cash goes to the BBC, the licence is for watching any TV channels 'live' - even if you only watch satellite or cable channels."

Implying that these other channels receive some of the money.

They don't. Only the BBC receive cash, basically the deal is that if you want to watch Sky Sports (etc.) and not the BBC, you still have to pay for the BBC. If you don't watch Sky Sports or the BBC, then you don't have to pay anything.
    • Percy1983
    • By Percy1983 18th Jun 13, 2:42 PM
    • 4,990 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    Percy1983
    • 18th Jun 13, 2:42 PM
    • 18th Jun 13, 2:42 PM
    I think the whole thing either needs to be scrapped or the rules changed.

The fact you can watch all the same content but an hour or so later and not pay a penny is just wrong.

It is a shame it excludes PVRs, I don't watch much live these days but tis all recorded form live streams so I have to pay.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • William_young
    • 18th Jun 13, 3:00 PM
    • 18th Jun 13, 3:00 PM
    ....and, as the first post after the OP contained an inaccurate claim about non-UK TV broadcasts, it's likely that half (at least) of the 100 will be similarly inaccurate!
    Originally posted by Heinz
    So do we now get to collect licence fee's from europe? where many take the uk output.

will Amateur radio/tv buffs from around the world have to pay if they recieve a uk based amateur transmission?
  • William_young
    • 18th Jun 13, 3:03 PM
    • 18th Jun 13, 3:03 PM
    Why would you tell the BBC or Crapita anything? Bin the letters, and if they come to your door tell them to go away. We are not accountable to the BBC.

Also this is misleading

"While most of the cash goes to the BBC, the licence is for watching any TV channels 'live' - even if you only watch satellite or cable channels."

Implying that these other channels receive some of the money.

They don't. Only the BBC receive cash, basically the deal is that if you want to watch Sky Sports (etc.) and not the BBC, you still have to pay for the BBC. If you don't watch Sky Sports or the BBC, then you don't have to pay anything.
    Originally posted by thelawnet

None of the money goes to the BBC, the BBC gets funding, it 'collects' the licence fee on behalf of the government, just like the road fund licence pays for the roads notionally, I dont drive much & I dont come down your street why should I pay for you to have a road?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Jun 13, 4:04 PM
    • 23,596 Posts
    • 12,933 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I dont drive much & I dont come down your street why should I pay for you to have a road?
    Originally posted by William_young
    Probably because if we all paid individually for only the streets we use then the cost to each person would be astronomical in comparison to the nominal road tax everyone pays.
    Poor analogy.
    • thelawnet
    • By thelawnet 18th Jun 13, 4:07 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    thelawnet
    None of the money goes to the BBC, the BBC gets funding, it 'collects' the licence fee on behalf of the government, just like the road fund licence pays for the roads notionally, I dont drive much & I dont come down your street why should I pay for you to have a road?
    There is no 'road fund licence'.

Vehicle Excise Duty is an emissions-based tax. Electric cars and other low-emission vehicles pay nothing.

The VED tax is not in any way whatsoever connected to spending on the roads, which comes out of general taxation.

It's incredibly stupid to say that the money does not go to the BBC - here is the official position http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/resources/library/BBC/pdf/licence_fee_trust_statement_20120716.pdf

"The BBC collects Licence Fee revenue from customers and transfers it to the HM Governmentís Consolidated Fund. The revenue collected is passed back to the BBC as Grant-in-Aid from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)."

In other words the BBC receives the money, and if it can sell more licences, it gets more money.
    • Reue
    • By Reue 18th Jun 13, 4:13 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    Reue
    Originally posted by rogerblack
    Incorrect.
    • geoffky
    • By geoffky 18th Jun 13, 5:36 PM
    • 6,600 Posts
    • 9,241 Thanks
    geoffky
    Go away.....End of the matter..
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 18th Jun 13, 5:47 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    So do we now get to collect licence fees from europe? where many take the uk output.

Will amateur radio/tv buffs from around the world have to pay if they receive a UK-based amateur transmission?
    The TV licence applies only to those in the UK.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 18th Jun 13, 11:03 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Don't forget the over 75 rule. A feeble hint from the government to invite granny to stay?
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 19th Jun 13, 10:46 AM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 35,027 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    The live TV bit is misleading.

Watching TV on the internet
    You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

If you watch live streams from YouTube or others, that are not broadcast at the same time, you do not need a licence.

Also if you only watch catchup tv or online movies, you do not need a licence.

TV Tax man due to visit on 14th June. Still cannot be rrrrrrrrrrsed to turn up.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • GMbabies
    • By GMbabies 19th Jun 13, 1:20 PM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    GMbabies
    Can anyone find a copy of contract you signed for TV licence?

If someone is offering you their service and you agree e.g. car hire or loan, you normally sign a contract but i don't seem to have one for TV licence.

I guess people can demand money without contract nowadays eh?

Watch out MSE members, I'll be sending you my invoices
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 19th Jun 13, 2:28 PM
    • 9,193 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    If the law states that a licence is only needed to watch "LIVE" TV - Why doesn't someone invent a box to go between the aerial and TV to put a 1/10 sec delay in to it - No longer live = no licence needed ??
    They don't state what "catch up" TV means.....
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 19-06-2013 at 2:30 PM.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 19th Jun 13, 2:47 PM
    • 2,713 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    anotheruser
    I thought the delay was 30 mins.
    I agree with you, however it would have to "record" that 30 mins somewhere, which would make you liable for a licence.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 19th Jun 13, 4:02 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    Nilrem
    If the law states that a licence is only needed to watch "LIVE" TV - Why doesn't someone invent a box to go between the aerial and TV to put a 1/10 sec delay in to it - No longer live = no licence needed ??
    Originally posted by 21Twinkle
    Because you'd still be using a device to receive a live broadcast, and delay it?
    Operative words being live and broadcast.

IIRC that was clarified a couple of decades ago when VCR's first came in.

It would be no different to using a PVR (also covered), or the slight delay imposed by the actual transmission/retransmission of the original signal (for example if you're on Cable or Satellite your reception is delayed by anything up to a second or so compared to the terrestrial broadcast, something that was quite noticeable when there was still analogue transmissions)..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

59Posts Today

1,172Users online

Martin's Twitter