Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Dunkyboy
    white wine recommendations please.
    • 15th Jun 05, 11:02 PM
    white wine recommendations please. 15th Jun 05 at 11:02 PM
    I would like to take a nice bottle of white wine to my friends party on Friday, and i would dearly love to be able to give them a lovely sweet bottle of white wine, but when-ever we buy a bottle it tastes bitter, and have yet to find a nice one.
    Latest advice is to keep away from anything French, and plump for either South African or Australian.
    I do not know one end of a bottle from the other, and am tired of buying wine which is awful, there must be something nice which is easily availabe for a reasonable price.
    What would you recommend as a fail safe allrounder which doesn't leave a bitter after taste please, many thanks to you all.
Page 1
  • Allexie
    • 15th Jun 05, 11:37 PM
    • 15th Jun 05, 11:37 PM
    How much do you want to spend?

How about a Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, (lovely gooseberry & passion fruit flavours) - about 7.50

Or a bit cheaper...an Italian Pinot Grigio - M & S do a good one.

Other thoughts...a white zinfandel....chenin blanc? Praps better to stay away from chardonnay as it can be a bit acidic....

Ooooh I'm coming over all Jilly Goolden!
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 16th Jun 05, 12:05 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 16th Jun 05, 12:05 AM
    • 16th Jun 05, 12:05 AM
    I would like to take a nice bottle of white wine to my friends party on Friday, and i would dearly love to be able to give them a lovely sweet bottle of white wine
    by Dunkyboy
    Do you really mean sweet white wine?
  • filigree
    • 16th Jun 05, 12:08 AM
    • 16th Jun 05, 12:08 AM
    I know it's French, but I find Vouvray is always a safe bet. It's not at all dry, if you follow the number system that supermarkets use Vouvray is a 4 whereas most Chardonnays are a 2. Prices vary from about 4 - 6.

You might be happier with a German wine, they aren't all yucky Blue Nun and they do have a better choice of sweeter wines whereas French wines seem to come out drier. I can't find my issue just now but if you get the current Sainsbury's magazine they have an article all about German wines and how to choose one to suit you.

If I want to splash out on something for a special occasion I get Wolf Blass, they are a very reliable Australian label. I admit I haven't tried their whites but their red wines are lovely They cost about 7 a bottle. Other labels I have had success with are Banrock Station, Hardy's or Rosemount Estate, all widely available in supermarkets.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 16th Jun 05, 6:09 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 16th Jun 05, 6:09 AM
    • 16th Jun 05, 6:09 AM
    If you mean a sweet wine to serve with the pudding you can't do better than Muscat De Baume De Venise, it's almost like a liqueur, I have heard it described as 'liquid sunshine' and goes really well with all puddings.
  • AussieLass
    • 16th Jun 05, 6:35 AM
    • 16th Jun 05, 6:35 AM
    A really nice sweet white wine is from Brown Brothers called Muscato. It's about $13 a bottle here. Or a real cheapy Remmano River Breeze - Soft Sweet Wine $4.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 16th Jun 05, 7:18 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 16th Jun 05, 7:18 AM
    • 16th Jun 05, 7:18 AM
    Any Yugoslavian Reisling. Honest

Fruity, crisp, and very pleasant.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 16th Jun 05, 7:31 AM
    • 7,423 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    • 16th Jun 05, 7:31 AM
    • 16th Jun 05, 7:31 AM
    Agree with the Wolf Blass suggestion although another nice white is Hardy's - currently 1/2 price in Tesco's at the mo.
  • Lucie
    • 16th Jun 05, 8:16 AM
    • 16th Jun 05, 8:16 AM
    If you really mean a sweet dessert wine, then go for the muscat suggestions. Sweet dessert wine is usually found in half bottles.

We tend to drink very dry wines in our house - frascati, soave, muscadet, white burgundy, white rioja, chablis & pinot grigio. All fairly traditional european wines. At a push I'd drink NZ Sauvignon, but I find it a bit "sherberty". No chardonnay is ever allowed across the threshold
  • Dunkyboy
    Thanks for all your suggestions,
    i said sweet white wine as any other type just tastes YUK
    you may suspect i am not a wine expert......your right.
    I would like to spend about 5 bottle,
    I do like the sound of this Liquid Sunshine.I'm off into town after dinner with your list in my pocket.
    Not ashamed to say ABBA are Great
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 16th Jun 05, 9:29 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Dunkyboy - you've scared me now - the 'liquid sunshine' was my suggestion but going by your last post it seems as if you want a wine to drink with savoury stuff, this Muscat won't do! it's thick and syrupy and is only suitable for puddings.

I would take everyone elses suggestions or just ask in the shop BUT if you ask for a 'sweet wine' you'll be pointed to the dessert or pudding wines. I would explain that you fine lots of wines too dry and see what they recommend
    Last edited by apprentice tycoon; 16-06-2005 at 9:47 AM.
  • pandas66
    I'd recommend a Rose if you want sweet but not sickly. If you go to Bargain Booze type store they will have a 3 for 10 pounds offer. BARGAIN JUllio &Gallaiano are excellent for Zindafell.
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
  • Dunkyboy
    thanks apprentice, the party is a informal chit/chat, where everybody brings something to eat or drink.
    The last event i took some blossom hill wine (not sure though) and it tasted not very pleasant, - most of it stayed in the bottle-, perhaps i should go for a rosy type, (are these sweet 'ie. drinkable'.) I would like everyone to compliment me on my fine choice of wine at the party
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 16th Jun 05, 11:09 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Rebob
    Try German. Most people who are not wine drinkers enjoy neisteiner gutes domtal or leibfraumilch or piesporter michelsberg. Spelling might not be bang on!!! Aldi sell these wines much cheaper than tesco or asda and they are also the nicest.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 16th Jun 05, 11:10 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Rebob
    BTW the above wines would come in at 2 - 3 per bottle.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
  • Dunkyboy
    rebob,
    i'm off to aldi...
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 16th Jun 05, 11:38 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    If you want sickly sweet then, as suggested go for a dessert wine. Yuck! If you want ordinary sweet wine then I always used to go for a Spanish sweet Valencia wine. Now, though, my absolute favourite is Sainsbury's Anjou. Its not sweet but not tart or dry and it is a wine you can drink on its own. Everyone I have given it to has remarked how nice it is. Also it is only 3.10. We don't buy it because its cheap but because it is so lovely!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,584Users online

Martin's Twitter