Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2013

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the:
    May 2013 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of £600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at £15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at £280 per month and brought it down to £240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to £260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out £20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for £X off a spend of £XX - if you had no NEED to spend £XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. MrM is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a breadmaker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obvioulsy if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better healthwise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy £7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 #6 #7 #8 & #9 on this thread (the list is growing!!!!!)

For everyones totals, see post #10 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 02-04-2013 at 2:55 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 27
    • Nicky Noo Na
    • By Nicky Noo Na 13th Jun 13, 7:32 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    Nicky Noo Na
    £1.99 to add, OH nipped to Mr A and got some YS treats

• meg72
    • By meg72 13th Jun 13, 8:30 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Lo cost dinner tonight,low nutritional value, however absolutely delicious.
    I bought 12 YS free range organic eggs from M and S for 80p yesterday, sell by 12th use by 17th.

I also had some frozen oven ready chips - 2 fried eggs and chips simple and absolutely delicious

Joanne
    Originally posted by joanne109
    Why low nutritional value, two eggs gives you all your protein for the day, absolutely one of my favourite meals.
    Slimming World at target
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 13th Jun 13, 8:36 PM
    • 5,093 Posts
    • 49,556 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Total so far now stands at €88.50

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • joanne109
    Why low nutritional value, two eggs gives you all your protein for the day, absolutely one of my favourite meals.
    Originally posted by meg72
    True - and they were fried in lovely healthy olive oil

Joanne
    • Shortie
    • By Shortie 13th Jun 13, 9:54 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 12,059 Thanks
    Shortie
    OMG.... Mr Shortie went shopping today with my list and menu plan. I knew we *should*come in budget and except adding cheese to my list (whoops I forgot!) Hhe got us in under budget using vouchers etc! We still have £3-4 for emergencies and about £1.50 ish in price promise vouchers incase we have forgotten anything

Woooooo hooooo! Well done Mr Shortie for sticking to the list

Next grocery month (starting next Thursday) will be harder going though as we've run our stock so low to come in budget this month!)
    Apologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 13th Jun 13, 10:40 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Lovely meal plan lbnblbnb.

My meals have been/will be extremely safe/uninventive this week:

Monday I cooked - Chicken with peppers, mushrooms, spring onions, egg noodles, soy and sriracha chilli sauce
    Tuesday I cooked - Jerk chicken (using the last of my paste) with coriander and chilli crushed sweet potatoes and sweetcorn
    Wednesday Housemate cooked - RTC TTD Tuna fishcakes with RTC Jersey Royals and asparagus. Realized we had no sweet chilli sauce in, so used a small jar of Ginger and Chilli chutney on the side...it was just as good (if not better).
    Thursday I cooked - Linda McCartney sausages with sweet potato mash, tenderstem broccoli, sweet potato mash and red onion gravy.
    Friday Housemate will cook - Asparagus, mushroom, pea (with veg stock/white wine base) Orzo (SO much easier than risotto!).
    Saturday I'll cook - not sure yet.
    Sunday Housemate will cook - not sure yet

Glad to be finishing a few things out of the fridge and the condiments shelf is getting empty. A lot of things I'm having now won't probably be had again though, because I then need to tick the next things to use up off!

I really liked the Linda McCartney sausages - my housemate not so much. But...I'm only choosing these because of the cholesterol issues, and I do need the occasional sausage and mash fix

Spent £2.62 in Mr W and £2.54 in Mr S - will update signature.

Hope everyone is well
    Last edited by NickJW; 13-06-2013 at 10:44 PM.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • lbnblbnb
    • By lbnblbnb 14th Jun 13, 6:22 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 5,881 Thanks
    lbnblbnb
    Lovely meal plan lbnblbnb.

My meals have been/will be extremely safe/uninventive this week:

Monday I cooked - Chicken with peppers, mushrooms, spring onions, egg noodles, soy and sriracha chilli sauce
    Tuesday I cooked - Jerk chicken (using the last of my paste) with coriander and chilli crushed sweet potatoes and sweetcorn
    Wednesday Housemate cooked - RTC TTD Tuna fishcakes with RTC Jersey Royals and asparagus. Realized we had no sweet chilli sauce in, so used a small jar of Ginger and Chilli chutney on the side...it was just as good (if not better).
    Thursday I cooked - Linda McCartney sausages with sweet potato mash, tenderstem broccoli, sweet potato mash and red onion gravy.
    Friday Housemate will cook - Asparagus, mushroom, pea (with veg stock/white wine base) Orzo (SO much easier than risotto!).
    Saturday I'll cook - not sure yet.
    Sunday Housemate will cook - not sure yet

Glad to be finishing a few things out of the fridge and the condiments shelf is getting empty. A lot of things I'm having now won't probably be had again though, because I then need to tick the next things to use up off!

I really liked the Linda McCartney sausages - my housemate not so much. But...I'm only choosing these because of the cholesterol issues, and I do need the occasional sausage and mash fix

Spent £2.62 in Mr W and £2.54 in Mr S - will update signature.

Hope everyone is well
    Originally posted by NickJW
    Love the sound of your plan too - restaurant style! Lovely.
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 14th Jun 13, 8:13 AM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 34,469 Thanks
    XSpender
    £10.50 spent yesterday in M&S on sausages and rosti and on beer in the local shop. £27 in Mr T on beer and wine and pizza and milk and something else I cant remember.

I really want to reduce my spending on groceries as it is about half of my money after bills and is a ridiculous amount of money for 2 adults, a child and a small dog. I set myself a target of £50 for this week as we have lots in and am already a tenner over it and I still need to do the weekly shop.

Next month we are on holiday for 2 weeks but I am going to keep a record of exactly what we spend our money on when food shopping at home and account for alcohol seperatley as this really bumps up my figure. I have an expensive diet due to health reasons and really need some help with this. I will see how I go in June and then may start a new thread for some advice.

Sorry for rambling
    Last edited by XSpender; 14-06-2013 at 8:15 AM. Reason: Forgot about Mr T
    • sefilby
    • By sefilby 14th Jun 13, 9:07 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    sefilby
    £32.62 in Mr T's & 1.29 on milk @ express yesterday - speedily replaced into my bills budget now correct wages received *sigh of relief*
    Tweaked my budget slightly taking out the £50 from last week as I didn't in the bank, so effectively wasn't in my budget to spend.

That takes my total up £96.15 with 13 days to go.

Happy Friday everyone!
    Christmas budget £266.38/£535 15/27gifts
    Read a book a week challenge 50/52
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 14th Jun 13, 9:21 AM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 18,219 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Originally posted by NickJW
    Is there any chance your HM would share this recipe please? It sounds great and i have all these ingredients in Tia.

Small spend just in C*-*p of £3.50 , slightly unnecessary but i had gone in as i was passing that way and discovered i had a £1 off £10 voucher in purse. So, i slowly ambled round but was putting things in my basket that we don't really need yet; and as most is promotional (ending 2 July) it can wait. I decided to pass on the voucher to an elderly couple with a trolley full of bits, and just kept some fish and baguettes, as craving a posh fish finger style sandwich. So i did save myself from extra spending, even though technically i could have had a NSD today.

I also spent £7.28 in Boots on some promotion toiletries (SLS free shampoo and a can of Impulse as a treat); but as i won't use these til July, i have added them to that budget along with half of the cleaning delivery from this month's Cloud 9 order. If by a miracle i come under i will add it back to this month's budget.
    Last edited by K9sandFelines; 14-06-2013 at 9:28 AM. Reason: Errors
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 Jan £268.24/£200 Feb £158.01/200 Mar £220.05/£200 April (moving) May (adjusting £270.73), Jun £200.99/£280
    ~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 14th Jun 13, 1:16 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 12,692 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    I spent £1.99 on coffee and £1 on salad, bringing my total to £154.97 - £30.03 left of the budget (new month starts Tues 25th).

As per previous post, I have planned to the end of the month and am mostly using up stocks. Still need to get:

Onions (value)
    Mushrooms (value)
    Parsnip (1-2)
    Salad leaves
    Bananas (x8)
    Milk (probably 2 four pinters)
    Natural yoghurt (value)
    Bacon (16 rashers)
    Mince (350-500g, depending on pack sizes)
    Bread (for OH's sandwiches, I make all the other breads we eat)
    Chopped tomatoes (value)
    Cola (at least 2 bottles, maybe 3)
    Crisps (6 pack)
    Tampons
    Hair gel
    Parmesan/similar (if there's money left)

The cola, crisps and hair gel are all luxuries, I know, but they're for OH and if I didn't budget them in he'd just go out and buy them anyway and break the budget *rolleyes*.

I think I've cracked making much lighter & well-risen bread (I never used to knead it for long enough) that I think OH would actually eat as sandwich bread, but I need a slicer to slice it thin enough. Might ask for one for my birthday in a few months from my parents, is that sad lol?

Oh and K9 I think was asking about the hot and sour soup, it was lovely mixed with noodles so I'd give it a shot!
    Last edited by Bluegreen143; 14-06-2013 at 1:18 PM.
    Married 1 March 2014 DS born 06/12/15

Debts
    CC - £2,182.17/£2,182.17
    Family loan 1 - £1,680/£1,680
    Family loan 2 - £3,500/£5,000
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 14th Jun 13, 3:23 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

NSD on groceries today Did buy FIL a DVD boxset for Sunday, but not too bad at £15.

Will shop tomorrow for food for Sunday - having inlaws over for either a BBQ or roast, depending on the weather

Bluegreen - did you get married already or is that an April Fool's joke in your sig???!!!

Have a good evening everyone.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • january_23
    • By january_23 14th Jun 13, 5:07 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    january_23
    Spent £47.45 since last update.

£90.46/£200
    2 adults groceries: June £35.79/£200
    # 3 - Saving for Xmas 2015 £1 a day. £122/£365
    TTC #1 since 06/08/12
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 14th Jun 13, 5:41 PM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 18,219 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Oh and K9 I think was asking about the hot and sour soup, it was lovely mixed with noodles so I'd give it a shot!
    Thanks Bluegreen, will pop it on the to do list
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 Jan £268.24/£200 Feb £158.01/200 Mar £220.05/£200 April (moving) May (adjusting £270.73), Jun £200.99/£280
    ~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 14th Jun 13, 6:23 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Friday.
    NSD again here.
    I think I am on the last of my kitchen unpacking now.
    The kitchen/bathroom men have had another problem today - grout around floor tiles failed to take.
    One chap is working tomorrow. I have a new toilet sitting in the bathroom - but can't use it.
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • Sweetie83
    • By Sweetie83 14th Jun 13, 7:56 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Sweetie83
    Finally getting a grip on money saving!
    Yay, I think (with a huge help from everyone) I am finally getting my head around the way to save each month:

1) Snowballing - buying a bit extra each week to make extra meals and freezing them or buy something on offer when I see it that I intended to buy in that month.

2) Mix and match - last month I looked at my receipts and spent an evening writing down on a spreadsheet what I typically buy in a month and how much I spent on each item. It enabled me to see where most costs were going. In the next column I added the supermarket that offers the best deal. Each week I now intend to shop at a different supermarket. First week L*dl, second week Tesco, third week Iceland etc and then that way I can stock up and get exactly the products I know we love...L*dl jam to die for and I would walk the 6 miles to get it (....well if I weren't so lazy that is)
    Grocery Challenge: Jan 15 £323/£280, Feb £275/£280
    One DH, 2 DD's aged 6 and 3 and a hungry cat!

• lovefullshelves
    • By lovefullshelves 14th Jun 13, 8:03 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 7,440 Thanks
    lovefullshelves
    Mr milkman cost me £18.00, added to sig I know he's more expensive that the supermarket but its more enviro friendly!! My excuse!!
    2013 NSD 100. CC2014CC- £31.50/£135
    2014 NSD 86 so far - May 20/21
    2014 G/C spend £741.55 so far May £107.99/£91
    Debt Free - 30.05.13 Emergency tin - £1000
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #54 - toilet paper tunneller
    • lizalloareds
    • By lizalloareds 14th Jun 13, 8:36 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 17,414 Thanks
    lizalloareds
    spends today £37.84
    £9.57 Mr A
    £5.40 Ald*
    £1.65 Mr T
    £2 Icld
    £1.89 £stretcher
    £4.67 FFds
    £12.66 Mr S (used a £3 coupon and £5 of nectar points)
    Last edited by lizalloareds; 14-06-2013 at 8:41 PM.
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 Feb £298.92/280March £298.42/£280 April £270.49/280 May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 14th Jun 13, 8:49 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Is there any chance your HM would share this recipe please? It sounds great and i have all these ingredients in Tia.
    Originally posted by K9sandFelines
    Of course - though he did say it's not really a recipe - a quick throw together meal, which can be adapted with whatever veg/meat you want (adjust cooking times accordingly).

Asparagus and Mushroom Orzo

Orzo (HM used 250g dried)
    250g pack chestnut mushrooms
    Pack asparagus
    One onion
    Small Glass white wine
    Vegetable stock
    Handful frozen peas
    Parmesan cheese to serve if desired

Finely dice one onion, slice a pack of chestnut mushrooms.

Boil kettle and make 500ml vegetable stock.

Heat a deep non stick pan with some oil on medium heat, throw in the onions and mushrooms, cook for about 5 minutes (or until mushrooms/onions look cooked), then add the Orzo and fry for a minute or so.

Add one glass white wine, let it reduce, then enough vegetable stock to cover the Orzo. Put to simmer and add extra stock gradually if needed. Towards the end (it's like pasta so aim for just before al dente), add the asparagus and a small handful of frozen peas for a few minutes until fully cooked.

You can use cheese on top if you like but we don't bother.

Small spend of £1.74 in Mr S today to report. My parents are coming down to London tomorrow to see the Trooping of the Colours, so I'll go out for dinner with them tomorrow and therefore don't need to cook
    Last edited by NickJW; 14-06-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • MrsCautious
    • By MrsCautious 14th Jun 13, 11:11 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 13,728 Thanks
    MrsCautious
    Since my last update when I was blathering on about how I didn't need anything and was planning to keep away from sm, I've spent £46 on groceries. Although some of this won't be used until next month, I will still lay claim to it for June.

I know coming in under budget is going to be tight but I am absolutely doing my best to come in as close as I can, I have £3.50 of nectar points to use and there will be a few more to add before the end of the month.

I've meal planned until the end of the month and definitely only need top up shops, my daughters have had 2 friends join us for meals this week and haven't gone to a different friend's tonight so that has caused bigger expense.

Really pleased with YS haul - includes four packets of prawns (3 of them king prawns) for 89p each, organic taste the difference chicken reduced from £8.01 to £1.99 and guinea fowl reduced from £6 something to £1.99, tins of Del Monte peaches down from £1 to 25p and various other bent tins -- reduced sugar/salt beans for 19p and Ambrosia rice pudding for 25p, bit posher than the Basics I have been buying.

Have worked pretty much full time this week. Have come home at lunchtime to see the dog and take her out but also because I don't want to part with money when my colleagues nip to the shop or chip shop (we are a very classy bunch) for their dinner.

So even though I remain further ahead in my budget than I would like to be, am still pleased by efforts to save money and on top of that have been making money in dribs and drabs, have signed up to the £10 a day challenge.

Car has MOT Monday so bracing myself.

Have a great weekend, thanks for guiding me back on track-ish xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,095Posts Today

6,929Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• Follow Martin