Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 14th Jun 13, 3:03 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Driving licence warning: Keep it up to date or face £1,000 fine
    • 14th Jun 13, 3:03 PM
    MSE News: Driving licence warning: Keep it up to date or face £1,000 fine 14th Jun 13 at 3:03 PM
    "Motorists face fines of up to £1,000 for out-of-date information on their driving licence Ė so check yours now ..."

Read the full story:

Driving licence warning: Keep it up to date or face £1,000 fine

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • mysterons
    • By mysterons 14th Jun 13, 4:56 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    mysterons
    • 14th Jun 13, 4:56 PM
    • 14th Jun 13, 4:56 PM
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-22686167
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 14th Jun 13, 4:58 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 14th Jun 13, 4:58 PM
    • 14th Jun 13, 4:58 PM
    Sounds harsh I know, but failure to update a photocard driving license, is just poor personal administration. Every driver who has legally passed their driving test should know that their photocard license has an expiry date of ten years. It is there to read in the information booklet supplied with it on first receipt and it is printed on the license itself.

If persons who change their name whether by marriage or deed poll can't be bothered or who trot out the lame excuse that they 'forgot' subsequently get fined, then it is their fault. There are lots of things to think about in life and your driving license is one of them!

As for house moves, well your address can be changed online on the gov.uk website. Page 120 of the current Highway Code is quite clear about the obligation to inform DVLA of address changes too.

As for the license costing £20 for renewal after 10 years, well yes that is correct from the perspective that that is what the DVLA charge, but you still have to get your digital photos taken, average cost appears to be about a fiver, then you have to post it off, so there's the postage to pay, and if you have to make the journey by vehicle to a post box or post office, there's the cost of getting there, so in reality, it could cost you £30. But at least it's only every ten years!

I consider myself fortunate that both my driving license and passport expire with just a couple of months of each other, so I make sure I hang onto the last set of passport photo's so that both documents bear the same photo.
    • vaio
    • By vaio 14th Jun 13, 5:07 PM
    • 11,895 Posts
    • 8,840 Thanks
    vaio
    • 14th Jun 13, 5:07 PM
    • 14th Jun 13, 5:07 PM
    Stories like this make me pleased I still have my old paper licence issued when I was 17 and which doesn't expire for another 15 years.

I suppose then I'll have to get one of the new ID card photocard type and change the address from my parents (where I haven't lived since 1979) to my own address
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 14th Jun 13, 5:15 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 14th Jun 13, 5:15 PM
    • 14th Jun 13, 5:15 PM
    Stories like this make me pleased I still have my old paper licence issued when I was 17 and which doesn't expire for another 15 years.

I suppose then I'll have to get one of the new ID card photocard type and change the address from my parents (where I haven't lived since 1979) to my own address
    Originally posted by vaio
    Lol! Haven't you just admitted that you have a driving licence with the wrong address details on it? You have an obligation to inform DVLA....
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 14th Jun 13, 5:20 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 14th Jun 13, 5:20 PM
    • 14th Jun 13, 5:20 PM
    So long as he's contactable at his parents' address he's fine.
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 14th Jun 13, 5:25 PM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    • 14th Jun 13, 5:25 PM
    • 14th Jun 13, 5:25 PM
    Last time I changed my address it was free to do, that was 20 years ago, is this still the case?

My paper licence does not expire for another 16 years so unless I move home again, I will have no need to contact the DVLA
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 14th Jun 13, 5:41 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 14th Jun 13, 5:41 PM
    • 14th Jun 13, 5:41 PM
    Last time I changed my address it was free to do, that was 20 years ago, is this still the case?

My paper licence does not expire for another 16 years so unless I move home again, I will have no need to contact the DVLA
    Originally posted by torbrex
    It is free to change your address, but only if you already have an in date photo card licence. If like you one still has a paper licence (I haven't had one of those for 12 years now!), then you have to pay £20 plus associated other costs as mentioned in my first post, to get one. DVLA obviously will not change a paper licence for a paper licence without the photocard element. Clearly then, for those still with an in date paper licence, it would appear financially inept to change it for a new photocard licence, though of course if like me you like the idea of having a readily accepted form of identification for use at various institutions rather than carrying your passport, then it is a good idea.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 14th Jun 13, 6:23 PM
    • 15,098 Posts
    • 14,796 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 14th Jun 13, 6:23 PM
    • 14th Jun 13, 6:23 PM
    Seems fair, to a point anyway.

I always think government institutions should absorb the cost for updating, but the need to update in itself seems reasonable.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 14th Jun 13, 7:05 PM
    • 15,954 Posts
    • 22,309 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    What is the big deal about updating driving licences?

It's dead easy to do and the cost is negligible.
    • Igotothefootofourstairs
    • By Igotothefootofourstairs 15th Jun 13, 6:32 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Igotothefootofourstairs
    The article states Lincoln Police have prosecuted a number of people for not having up to date photo licences and that a legal team have pointed out in fact the licences are valid as they give the licence expiry date.

Now there is nothing in law that you were to be charged the rather extortionate rate of £20 when the original cost £2 .. what's it going to be 10 years ?? £200 ?

The true cost of reissuing these is pence 20p perhaps so why £20?

Why aren't Lincoln police in the dock with the Judge ( if there was one) or is it one bill the local council charges?

More funds to pay MP expense accounts no doubt and I'll wager anyone who doesn't pay their £1000 fine won't be spending a quarter of the jail tariff in a cushy free health camp style open prison either.

One rule for them and another for the plebs.
    • By Igotothefootofourstairs 15th Jun 13, 6:34 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Igotothefootofourstairs
    What is the big deal about updating driving licences?

It's dead easy to do and the cost is negligible.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Quite right the cost is negligible, so why are they charging £20 ?
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 15th Jun 13, 7:10 AM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    Aretnap
    Now there is nothing in law that you were to be charged the rather extortionate rate of £20 when the original cost £2 ..?
    Originally posted by Igotothefootofourstairs
    Yes there is. The not at all Orwellianly named Road Safety Act gave the Secretary of State (in practice his proxies at the DVLA) the right to charge a fee for the renewal of the photocard. It was going to be free when photocards were introduced, but apparently charging for them was a vital road safety measure.

The true cost of reissuing these is pence 20p perhaps...
    You calculated that on the basis of...?

20p doesn't even cover the stamp to send the new one back to you.
    Last edited by Aretnap; 15-06-2013 at 7:30 AM.
    • By Igotothefootofourstairs 15th Jun 13, 7:55 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Igotothefootofourstairs
    Yes there is. The not at all Orwellianly named Road Safety Act gave the Secretary of State (in practice his proxies at the DVLA) the right to charge a fee for the renewal of the photocard. It was going to be free when photocards were introduced, but apparently charging for them was a vital road safety measure.

You calculated that on the basis of...?

20p doesn't even cover the stamp to send the new one back to you.
    Originally posted by Aretnap
    I calculated it on the basis firstly HMS does not require a "stamp" and the photo YOU supply is merely scanned into a government main frame computer and the reprinted on already mass produced driving licence blank paper with your data base info already compiled.

They never used to charge anything like this before, everything today is on a modern computerised system... which was all done manually before too. And we were told originally that this was to be a free renewal. God knows english citizens pay enough fuel and road tax duty already. ... perhaps we all ought to get our licences from Hong Kong instead like bent MPs and immigrants at present do.
    Last edited by Igotothefootofourstairs; 15-06-2013 at 8:08 AM.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 15th Jun 13, 8:07 AM
    • 10,831 Posts
    • 9,663 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Oh gawd,,not this one again...

Subjects,bend the knee and comply in fear...
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 15th Jun 13, 8:31 AM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    Oh gawd,,not this one again...

Subjects,bend the knee and comply in fear...
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive

my thoughts exactly, a barrack room lawyer like caddyman must be a real bundle of joy to live with
  • hanlou007
    £1000 ??
    Thats a heftier punishment than these people who get caught driving without a licence/tax/mot and under influence of drink.......
    • chris-j
    • By chris-j 15th Jun 13, 9:18 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    chris-j
    I agree with the name and address changes and these have always had to be updated, but the photocard is a nonsense.
    If your photocard expires, your licence to drive remains valid until you are 70 and if you can still be recognised from the photo, what is the problem.
    I know recognition is subjective but most people, especially as they get older are still easily recognisable after 10 years.
    I get why they make them valid for 10 years initially but some common sense on renewal if name/address not changed should be applied.
    Costs of renewing though should be restricted to the actual cost of the service being provided.
  • mcbob
    I'm not opposed to the principle - but it does seem like another stealth tax. Are the real costs £20, I think not.
    • worried123
    • By worried123 15th Jun 13, 11:08 AM
    • 372 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    worried123
    £1,000 fine is outrageous......and people who repeatedly commit `real` crime and anti social behaviour just get a slap on the wrist apparently.

Drivers are penalised sooo much....I call at addresses all day with my work and if I am gone just a short while past my ticket expiry I will get a fine every single time........(doing government surveys by the way) and the fines arent cheap and they come out of my pocket.

I know there has to be law and order but I think that decent law abiding citizens are just targeted far too much.....fine criminals and those engaged in anti social behaviour £1,000....

It has reached a stage where being a driver is soo stressful....`park here and you will die`.......`no return in 6 hours or you will be shot`..........`leave your car here and it will be crushed`........

My car was broken into whilst working and it also had a parking fine on the windscreen......I would hope this wasnt put there after the car had been broken into.......my purse and driving license was stolen and it cost me £20 to have replaced....

Sorry - i know that i sound like victor meldrew
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

1,832Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin