Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 11th Jun 13, 2:36 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Take action on bank charges: Protect yourself from unpaid item fees
    • 11th Jun 13, 2:36 PM
    MSE News: Take action on bank charges: Protect yourself from unpaid item fees 11th Jun 13 at 2:36 PM
    "MoneySavingExpert.com is urging consumers to take precautions to avoid being hit with unpaid item fees..."

Read the full story:

Take action on bank charges: Protect yourself from unpaid item fees

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • stclair
    • By stclair 11th Jun 13, 4:04 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 3,459 Thanks
    stclair
    • 11th Jun 13, 4:04 PM
    • 11th Jun 13, 4:04 PM
    RBS & Natwest customers can register for Act Now Alerts:

http://www.rbs.co.uk/personal/online-banking/g1/text-alerts/act-now-alerts.ashx

http://www.natwest.com/personal/online-banking/g1/alerts/act-now-alerts.ashx

You can also register for Overdraft Control

http://www.natwest.com/downloads/personal/current_accounts/NW_ODC_Leaflet.pdf

http://www.rbs.co.uk/Downloads/personal/current_accounts/ODC_Leaflet.pdf
    Last edited by stclair; 11-06-2013 at 4:14 PM.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • zerog
    • By zerog 12th Jun 13, 2:11 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    zerog
    • 12th Jun 13, 2:11 PM
    • 12th Jun 13, 2:11 PM
    What is this "faster payments deadline"? Just make the payment when the money shows up in your account...
    • stclair
    • By stclair 12th Jun 13, 3:10 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 3,459 Thanks
    stclair
    • 12th Jun 13, 3:10 PM
    • 12th Jun 13, 3:10 PM
    What is this "faster payments deadline"? Just make the payment when the money shows up in your account...
    Originally posted by zerog
    Sometimes it can take upto 2 hours to credit the other account.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • innovate
    • 12th Jun 13, 4:38 PM
    • 12th Jun 13, 4:38 PM
    Originally posted by stclair
    And longer.

I am just waiting for posts like "xyz bank ripped me off because they didn't credit my account when Martin said"
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 12th Jun 13, 6:56 PM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 3,939 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 12th Jun 13, 6:56 PM
    • 12th Jun 13, 6:56 PM
    And longer.

I am just waiting for posts like "xyz bank ripped me off because they didn't credit my account when Martin said"
    Originally posted by innovate
    I'm sure banks' complaints departments will have similar fun, seeing as there is a sizeable portion of idiots people who believe that everything Martin Lewis says is gospel.

The best advice would be to make the necessary arrangements at the latest the day before, just like you're supposed to have been doing for the past umpteen years. But that isn't CONSUMER REVENGE or some such rubbish.
    Last edited by JuicyJesus; 12-06-2013 at 6:59 PM.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • littleboots121
    • 16th Jun 13, 4:38 PM
    • 16th Jun 13, 4:38 PM
    I'm almost certain co-op's policy is same day credits have to received by midday. So if you bank with them it would be worth checking,. If you are paying your co-operative visa dd from a current account the money definitely needs to be in by midday.
    • Peter999
    • By Peter999 16th Jun 13, 4:43 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Peter999
    • 16th Jun 13, 4:43 PM
    • 16th Jun 13, 4:43 PM
    Originally posted by stclair
    It can take a lot longer - the banks have up to the end of the next working day for the faster payment to appear.
  • maturemoney
    • 3rd Sep 13, 10:18 AM
    • 3rd Sep 13, 10:18 AM
    Be aware that this only applies to personal accounts not business accounts. At least with Barclays that is the case.

Look at this response to my complaint that a DD was returned before 9am in the morning when funds were subsequently deposited before 2pm:

"Thank you for contacting Barclays. We have reviewed your complaint and here is how we propose to resolve it.

Please accept my apologies for any confusion this matter has caused. I can confirm that the rule regarding charges being waived if funds are
    paid in before 2pm is only relevant to personal accounts. This is because it is a manual process so at present we only apply this rule to
    personal accounts. Therefore, the charge is valid. I appreciate that this wasn’t the answer you were anticipating but I hope it has been
    useful.

If you agree that this proposal resolves your complaint, please select ‘Accept’.
    In the meantime, you can call us using one of the telephone numbers below.

Thank you for your patience while we reviewed your complaint.

Yours sincerely,

Beverley Jensen
    Customer Response Team

Customer Response Team, Leicester, LE87 2BB
    Tel: 0800 282 390* (UK-only Freephone number from landlines),
    0330 200 2196* from mobiles, +44 207 116 7488 from outside the UK.
    Open: Mon-Fri 8.00am-8.00pm & Saturday 9.00am-3.00pm"
  • LeilaLewis
    Just make the payment when the money shows up in your account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,985Posts Today

6,775Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I shall be marking my card with an X by the name of the person/party that I pick. Hope that fully answers your qu? https://t.co/gcQNRAojJl

• Three tips Euro election voting tips for tomorrow (Thur). Pls share 1. You don't need your polling card to vote.? https://t.co/4Mw89186vl

• RT @MartinSLewis: YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR POLLING CARD TO VOTE! Just go to your polling station - don't be wrongly put off. Please spread the?

• Follow Martin