Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lucylou
    • By lucylou 15th Jun 05, 1:53 PM
    • 1,023Posts
    • 2,813Thanks
    lucylou
    Freezing Mashed Potato
    • 15th Jun 05, 1:53 PM
    Freezing Mashed Potato 15th Jun 05 at 1:53 PM
    hi i have a question I have used all my potatoes and mashed them and then froze them.Now what I did I used one slice (as i had put them in a try and cut them in slices) but when I defrosted one it was all full of water and tasted funny.Any suggestions to save the other ones please?Or to do something different next time?
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
Page 1
  • rchddap1
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:03 PM
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:03 PM
    I don't know if it will work with frozen mash, but this is something my mum use to do with left over mash (generally 1 day old). Simply put she would fry it. However, I'm not sure what would happen with defrosted frozen mash.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Jun 05, 2:25 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:25 PM
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:25 PM
    The water isn't really a problem. I freeze in bags in portion sizes, let it defrost slowly in the bag and then tip it into a microwave proof bowl. About half way through the heating time I take it out and mash it again, and then once more when it's done. It's usually at this last time that I add a little salt and butter - it tastes just like the real thing
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • lucylou
    • By lucylou 15th Jun 05, 2:29 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    lucylou
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:29 PM
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:29 PM
    I froze them in two or three portion sizes but as I said the water from freezing them made them taste quite watery ...is there anyway I can eliminate the excess water?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Jun 05, 2:37 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:37 PM
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:37 PM
    Gently heat it up in a saucepan with the lid off for a while to evaporate some of the excess water should do it. Keep mashing until it's the consistency you want.

I don't really see where you're getting your excess water from. Mine, as it defrosts in the bag shows a little water - but that isn't stuff that's come from outside anywhere, it's from the potato in the sealed bag. So, as I say, I just mash it back in
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• lucylou
    • By lucylou 15th Jun 05, 2:39 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    lucylou
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:39 PM
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:39 PM
    well to be honest I think my fridge freezer needs defrosting

thanks for the tips I 'll try them tomorrow (I'm pretending to work just now )
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Jun 05, 2:41 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:41 PM
    • 15th Jun 05, 2:41 PM
    LOL

Next time try bagging your potato once it's cool. Squeeze out most of the air and shape it so it stacks nicely

• pol
    • By pol 15th Jun 05, 4:25 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    • 15th Jun 05, 4:25 PM
    • 15th Jun 05, 4:25 PM
    I just microwave my mash from frozen, one minute 30 secs, then another minute for one ice cream scoop. Just keep forking it about, some of the water will re-absorb, the rest will steam up your microwave (makes it easy to wipe over too). It should taste the same as it did when fresh. If you add milk and butter when you mash them, just add less milk, you can always add it later.
  • june1970
    • 21st Oct 05, 3:01 PM
    mashed potato
    • 21st Oct 05, 3:01 PM
    Hi

I am trying to save money so i am not buying anymore ready meals. i am going to make every thing i can from fresh.

At the moment i have a huge pan of stew in the oven which will feed the five of us for about four meals.

I have bought a huge bag of potatoes and i am sitting here wandering if i do a huge amount of mash will it be ok to freeze??, the only reason i am asking is every time i buy a big bag i end up binning a lot of them as they go off before i use them.

many thanks
    June
    • moggins
    • By moggins 21st Oct 05, 3:04 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    Yes it will be fine, I froze my first ever mash 2 weeks ago, used it last night and reheated it in the microwave. It needed another whisking afterwards but it looked just as good as fresh.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 21st Oct 05, 3:06 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Yep! Freeze them in portion sized amounts. We've got a thread somewhere about the place that goes into more detail so I'll merge your post into it when i find it.

Since posts are listed in date order you'll need to read from the beginning once it's done to catch up with us

• Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 21st Oct 05, 6:36 PM
    • 39,907 Posts
    • 37,166 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I have bought a huge bag of potatoes and i am sitting here wandering if i do a huge amount of mash will it be ok to freeze??, the only reason i am asking is every time i buy a big bag i end up binning a lot of them as they go off before i use them.
    by june1970
    It would probably be worth having a good look at the spuds, taking them out of the bag and checking for ones which are going off and chucking them now. If you do this regularly that might help. Also I presume you are storing them in a cool dark place, and not in a plastic bag? But I do know what you mean, my mum used to buy big sacks and they often went off, not that that would have stopped her using them, LOL.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
  • Queenie
    Hi

I am trying to save money so i am not buying anymore ready meals. i am going to make every thing i can from fresh.

At the moment i have a huge pan of stew in the oven which will feed the five of us for about four meals.

I have bought a huge bag of potatoes and i am sitting here wandering if i do a huge amount of mash will it be ok to freeze??, .......
    June
    by june1970
    June

As well as mashed potato, there are other ways you can use them and freeze them ...

Try these: - (original post by me: Sprouting Spuds )

These recipes use only potatoes and store cupboard ingredients so need no dedicated "planning" in order to get them into the freezer.

Potato Hotcakes (like hash browns)
    (serves 6 - 8)

2lb potatoes, peeled
    2Tbsp flour
    2tsp mustard powder
    2Tbsp finely grated onion
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 small eggs, beaten
    vegetable oil for frying

Soak the potatoes in cold water for 30mins, then drain. Grate into a bowl and drain off any starchy liquid, then add the remaining ingredients, except the oil, and stir well to mix.

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the mixture in spoonfuls and fry until browned on both sides.

To Freeze: cool quickly. Open freeze until firm, then pack in a rigid container, seperating each layer with foil.
    Seal, label and return to the freezer.
    To Thaw and Serve: remove wrappings and place on a baking sheet. Reheat from frozen in a preheated moderate oven (180C/350F/Gas 4) for approx 30 mins or until heated through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Potatoes Normande
    Serves 4 - 6

2lb potoatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
    1½ oz butter
    salt and pepper
    ½ pint milk

Put the potato slices in layers in a buttered oven-proof dish or foil container, sprinkling each layer with salt and pepper.
    Pour in the milk, dot with butter.
    Bake in a preheated moderate oven (180C/350F/Gas 4) for 1 - 1½hrs or until the potatoes are soft.

To Freeze: cool quickly, then cover with foil and pack in a freezer bag.
    Seal, label and freeze.
    To Thaw and serve: remove wrappings and thaw at room temp for 4hrs.
    Reheat in the oven ((190c/375F/Gas 5) for approx 30mins or until heated through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Potato Croquettes
    (makes 16)

2lb potatoes, peeled and halved
    2oz butter
    1 egg, beaten
    1 Tbsp milk
    pepper and salt
    veg. oil for frying

For the coating:
    a little flour
    2 eggs, beaten
    2oz fresh white breadcrumbs

Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 - 20 minutes, until tender.
    Drain well, then mash with the butter and beat in the egg, milk and pepper to taste.
    Leave to cool.

Shape the mixture into 16 croquettes by rolling with floured hands.
    Dip the croquettes in the beaten eggs, then roll in the breadcrumbs.
    Chill in the freezer until firm.

To Freeze: open freeze until firm, then pack in a rigid container, seperating each layer with foil.
    Seal, label and return to the freezer.
    To Thaw and Serve: remove from the container and thaw in the freezer for 2hrs.
    Deep-fry in the hot oil for 4-5 mins until golden brown, then drain well on paper towels and serve immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope this helps, enjoy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 22nd Oct 05, 6:17 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    What about potato bread?.........no self respecting Irish person would ever eat bacon and eggs without it! It's worth making in large batches as it freezes well.

Pink
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 22nd Oct 05, 9:34 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Last time I tried potato bread, it wasn't nice so I will try your recipe Pink!
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 2nd Jul 06, 10:18 AM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 3,906 Thanks
    Stompa
    You could try this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=2337310&postcount=37
    Stompa
  • Wally
    I freeze mashed potatoes quite a lot, I make proper mash and then just freeze it in portions, sometimes I defrost before microwaving and sometimes not.
  • Sallys Savings
    I've never thought of freezing mash..but it will certainly save me time during the week when preparing meals...so thank you for bringing it up.

We're off on holiday soon so would be ideal to leave for my son in the freezer. I've made batches of stews, pies etc and thought he would end up putting chips with everything but this way he has no excuse

thanks I'm going to try it tomorrow..
  • make life easier
    Is it ok to freeze mash with the butter and milk mashed in with it ?

I can't see any problem with this as I have bought mash from morrision with cabbage, butter and pepper in, and it's yummy, I was thinking of doing this with my left over mash
    became debt free December 06
  • suziewuzie
    I always freeze any leftover mash, even if it's only a couple of spoonfuls. I usually use it up in soups. Today I've been using up our courgette mountain by making Courgette & Brie soup - courgettes, onions, stock (veg or chick) then a bit of frozen mash, 5mins in pressure cooker. Liquidise and add some chopped brie, let it melt and whizz with the blender again. Yummy. Also use frozen mash in fish cakes. Anyone else got a courgette mountain? We've had veg curry tonight, incorporating yet more. I like them, but am beginning to get a bit tired of them at the mo. Think I'll have to make a huge load of the soup and freeze that. We're having them stuffed this week. Have also had courgette tart, stir fry, pasta sauce etc, etc, etc.
    Weight loss - here we go again - watch this space!

US...........And them............
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

658Posts Today

5,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin