Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 28th May 13, 11:07 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE Blog: Couponing: my new MoneySaving obsession
    • 28th May 13, 11:07 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE Blog: Couponing: my new MoneySaving obsession 28th May 13 at 11:07 AM
    Hi all, this is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:
    Couponing: my new MoneySaving obsession

"I have no shame. Ever since MSE Jenny introduced me to US show, Extreme Couponing, Iíve been hooked on saving money on groceries..."

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • PRINCESSX87
    • By PRINCESSX87 29th May 13, 8:48 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 6,745 Thanks
    PRINCESSX87
    • 29th May 13, 8:48 PM
    • 29th May 13, 8:48 PM

My partner & I have recently started couponing too.

We too noticed the difference of saving thanks to extremecouponing TV show. However what makes me more disappointed is that weíre not aslucky with the open-ness of coupons in this country.

In the US their lucky enough to have leaflets, stores thatoffer overheads on coupons which in turn makes them a profit on their weekly /monthly food shops.

Here weíre lucky to have a handful on good websites (Best& main one being MSE )

Recently x2 of my best buys have been the free cloverbutter, £1 in store & £1 moc meaning freebie!

£0.15p loaf of bread.!

I am new to this, hopefully this will become as big here asit is in the US. Personally I believe many stuggerling families will notice ahuge difference!!
    Future goals:
    Become debt free.
    Beat Depression.
    Be happy & healthy
    • twinmom04
    • By twinmom04 29th May 13, 8:52 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    twinmom04
    • 29th May 13, 8:52 PM
    • 29th May 13, 8:52 PM
    My biggest saving was a eighty pound shop, cost me four pounds something loads of coupons and a gift card for a complaint (twenty. Pounds). Hubby calls me the coupon Queen aswell, used to take the mick but you should have seen his face that day. Lol
    cracker challenge silver: £610/£1010.00
    One debt vs 100 days: 1000.00/0.00
  • miss scrooge
    • 29th May 13, 8:54 PM
    • 29th May 13, 8:54 PM
    Never thought about googling for vouchers thank you.I've been using coupons for years but half the time forget to take them to the shops or even cut them out etc have to start being more organised.
    Prizes won 2015 :
    Feb-2 prizes
    May-gift certificate

2015/273.99
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 29th May 13, 11:11 PM
    • 23,904 Posts
    • 155,614 Thanks
    Aesop
    • 29th May 13, 11:11 PM
    • 29th May 13, 11:11 PM
    today I bought this

http://www.boots.com/en/Fujifilm-FinePix-A650-16MP-5x-Optical-Zoom-2-7-inch-LCD-Compact-Digital-Camera-Purple_1328498/

and this

http://www.boots.com/en/SanDisk-4GB-SD-Ultra-ll-Card_921340/

and only paid £4.99

how? recently I completed a survey where I was rewarded with a £20 Boots gift cards and I had saved up over £10 worth of Boots points on my Boots Advantage Card.

the camera in the boots I went into today was reduced to £24.99, the SD memory card was reduced as showing on line from £19.99.

I paid for the camera first with an additional 150 points for spending over £15 from the ACM and paid £4.99 cash after handing over the gift card.

I then used my Advantage card with the points to pay for the memory card.

so bargain!
    Make upto £10 a day - September 2019 £0.00

Make upto £10 a day - best thread ever.
    • LadyCoupon
    • By LadyCoupon 30th May 13, 3:23 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,235 Thanks
    LadyCoupon
    • 30th May 13, 3:23 AM
    • 30th May 13, 3:23 AM
    Couponing - I love it, I wish there were more about for us to use. I also wish the till staff were a bit more easy going when taking them, some can be great, but you do get some that think you are giving them a time bomb or something when you hand over a coupon, calling over the supervisor, holding up the queue. My best shop to date is in Sainsburys, the bill came to £50 and I paid £2.97, but have saved loads over the last couple of years with coupons, I just wish there were more.
  • Former MSE Becca
    • 30th May 13, 8:23 AM
    • 30th May 13, 8:23 AM
    Thanks for all the comments couponers! And don't forget to post any coupons that you find on the coupon forum thread

Happy couponing,
    MSE Becca
    Last edited by Former MSE Becca; 30-05-2013 at 9:10 AM. Reason: We are couponers, not couponsters...
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 30th May 13, 9:08 AM
    • 23,904 Posts
    • 155,614 Thanks
    Aesop
    • 30th May 13, 9:08 AM
    • 30th May 13, 9:08 AM
    Thanks for all the comments couponsters! And don't forget to post any coupons that you find on the coupon forum thread

Happy couponing,
    MSE Becca
    Originally posted by MSE Becca
    cough, cough, ahem, we are couponers.... lol

• Former MSE Becca
    • 30th May 13, 9:09 AM
    • 30th May 13, 9:09 AM
    cough, cough, ahem, we are couponers.... lol
    Originally posted by Aesop
    Ahhhh, apologies Aesop. Will correct now
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 30th May 13, 9:36 AM
    • 16,780 Posts
    • 110,579 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I've been using coupons for years but half the time forget to take them to the shops or even cut them out etc have to start being more organised.
    Originally posted by miss scrooge
    I cut them out as soon as I see them, paperclip together and put straight in purse, they are bulky and annoy me till I use them. But my best strategy is to 'save' the money straight away - if I have £2.20 worth of coupons I transfer it straight into my savings account, that way my purse owes me the money so I need to use the coupons to balance it out IYSWIM. Not even sure I understand that. but it works for me .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 30th May 13, 9:44 AM
    • 23,904 Posts
    • 155,614 Thanks
    Aesop
    What some of us couponers do, is buy coupon wallets....

wilkinsons sell lovely big concertina style plastic wallets. about A5 size.

they have pockets that you can label using the labels. you could have one pocket for boots coupons, another for tesco, another for asda, etc.

or by coupon and expiry date.

others use the small photograph wallets you can get in boots or tescos or other places.

another thing is to write on an envelope the expiry dates and each coupon and make a shopping list and take it with you, then you make sure you are using all your coupons before they expire.

if you check mysupermarket for the best offers, match with your coupons, and then make a shopping list, you shouldn't forget to use your coupons before they expire.

• Aesop
    • By Aesop 30th May 13, 11:02 AM
    • 23,904 Posts
    • 155,614 Thanks
    Aesop
    another way to coupon....

if you are registered with topcashback and quidco....

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/SnapAndSave/Offers
    (you don't need to have a smartphone for this, you can upload your receipt using a pc/laptop)

https://www.quidco.com/clicksnap/offers
    (you don't need to have a smartphone for this, you can upload your receipt using a pc/laptop)

if you do have a smartphone...

http://shopitize.com/

http://www.shopscansave.co.uk/

you can combine coupons and still get some of the offers paying cashback as one of the cashback sites agreed they will still pay you the going cashback rate, even if you buy the item at a "whoopsied" rate.

Be careful with tcb and quidco. The offers are subject to change without warning, ie if an offer is very popular, they may withdraw it!

There are threads on these here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=61558915#post61558915

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=61556401&utm_source=MSE_FS&utm_me dium=Email&utm_term=28-May-13

also a chat thread here for the printable coupon thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3558433

just check which app will accept which store before you rush out buying stuff hoping to get cashback.

one of the cb sites includes coop and iceland, the others don't.

some will restrict where you can buy the items, so just be aware.

but if you have the time, sit down with all your coupons, check all the cb sites, and then money supermarket and make your shopping list. Happy shopping and money saving would be good to see how much people are saving.

• MrsB2100
    • By MrsB2100 30th May 13, 12:23 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    MrsB2100
    I used coupons all last year, and kept a running total of the saving I made ... I saved a total of £268! Which is pretty much a payrise, to be fair! This year, I've been doing the same, but buying more often from Lidl & Aldi, because they tend to regularly have £5 off deals. Not sure what I've saved so far, but tends to be regularly £15 - £20 a month so far (mostly from L&A).
    I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be gloomy, when the sun shines out your bum?
    • MrsB2100
    • By MrsB2100 30th May 13, 12:26 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    MrsB2100
    Oh, another thing to sign up for - Recyclebank. You make pledges to be green and earn points to put towards certain things in your area. They have had £5 off £25 M&S food vouchers. I know M&S arent cheap, but if you get a couple of their 3 for £10 meat & fish offers, or their £10 dine in deals, you can effectively get a £5 treat for free! I know I've seen this mentioned elsewhere on MSE, just cant think where ...
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 30th May 13, 12:42 PM
    • 23,904 Posts
    • 155,614 Thanks
    Aesop
    I used coupons all last year, and kept a running total of the saving I made ... I saved a total of £268! Which is pretty much a payrise, to be fair! This year, I've been doing the same, but buying more often from Lidl & Aldi, because they tend to regularly have £5 off deals. Not sure what I've saved so far, but tends to be regularly £15 - £20 a month so far (mostly from L&A).
    Originally posted by MrsB2100
    today's mirror has coupons for Aldi, quite a few.

• Aesop
    • By Aesop 30th May 13, 12:47 PM
    • 23,904 Posts
    • 155,614 Thanks
    Aesop
    If you want to earn coupons, there are lots of ways to do it, the referral board has lots of the sign up threads.

things like swagbucks/shop and scan/consumer pulse/nielsen mobile panel/ and other sites, allow you to do things/complete surveys to earn vouchers which can be redeemed at M&S, Asda, Sainsburys, Iceland, etc.

You can use these sites as a lot of us do, to earn more vouchers to help with Christmas shopping, ie amazon or food shopping at christmas, etc.

• lindsaygalaxy
    • By lindsaygalaxy 30th May 13, 1:29 PM
    • 1,923 Posts
    • 2,965 Thanks
    lindsaygalaxy
    Oh, another thing to sign up for - Recyclebank. You make pledges to be green and earn points to put towards certain things in your area. They have had £5 off £25 M&S food vouchers. I know M&S arent cheap, but if you get a couple of their 3 for £10 meat & fish offers, or their £10 dine in deals, you can effectively get a £5 treat for free! I know I've seen this mentioned elsewhere on MSE, just cant think where ...
    Originally posted by MrsB2100
    If you go on groupon today, they are selling £10 m&s vouchers for £5, making a dine in offer only £5.

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 30th May 13, 1:51 PM
    • 16,780 Posts
    • 110,579 Thanks
    gallygirl
    If you go on groupon today, they are selling £10 m&s vouchers for £5, making a dine in offer only £5.
    Originally posted by lindsaygalaxy
    Whereabouts - can you do a link please? I can't find it
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • ScarletRaven
    • By ScarletRaven 30th May 13, 1:53 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    ScarletRaven
    I love couponing - it really does help us save a fair bit on our shopping, and the odd freebie too!

I regularly check my coupons, usually weekly as I do the shopping list. I don't have a special wallet or anything, I just keep them in date order, with the ones that need using first at the top of the pile, and secure them with an elastic band. I have way too many to keep in my purse, it'd never close!

I keep this bundle alongside my purse at all times, along with Tesco Clubcard and Boots Advantage card, as they often help boost savings as well through points.

I was very happy the other day at M0rrisons, as I had some vouchers for some new Dettol products (a surface spray and wipes) that I managed to get for just 35p each! They are usually £2 each, so saved £3.30 on those two products alone!

I try to wait until products are on offer to get the best savings, and quite often it does happen before the coupons get too close to their use by date
    • MrsB2100
    • By MrsB2100 30th May 13, 1:57 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    MrsB2100
    Originally posted by lindsaygalaxy
    Wow, brilliant, thanks!! Never thought of that one ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,618Posts Today

7,475Users online

Martin's Twitter