Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 24th May 13, 10:18 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Charity warns of 'bailiff boom' after council tax benefit cuts
    • 24th May 13, 10:18 AM
    MSE News: Charity warns of 'bailiff boom' after council tax benefit cuts 24th May 13 at 10:18 AM
    "Citizens Advice says the number worried about paying council tax has 'rocketed' since Government reforms were introduced..."

Read the full story:

Charity warns of 'bailiff boom' after council tax benefit cuts

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
  • Wywth
    • 24th May 13, 11:06 AM
    • 24th May 13, 11:06 AM
    As one door closes another opens ...

A "bailiff boom" should provide more gainfull employment opportunities to those affected by benefit cuts
    • Igotothefootofourstairs
    • By Igotothefootofourstairs 25th May 13, 9:12 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Igotothefootofourstairs
    • 25th May 13, 9:12 AM
    • 25th May 13, 9:12 AM
    Roll on... it's only a matter of time before one of these thugs is brutally murdered collecting a debt.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 25th May 13, 9:36 AM
    • 62,054 Posts
    • 44,501 Thanks
    soolin
    • 25th May 13, 9:36 AM
    • 25th May 13, 9:36 AM
    Roll on... it's only a matter of time before one of these thugs is brutally murdered collecting a debt.
    Originally posted by Igotothefootofourstairs
    What a shocking thought. However, it seems rather unpleasant to suggest that those people unlucky enough to have fallen into debt are also killers and thugs!

Is this the new backlash, all people unable to manage their finances are now criminals and evil and likely to commit murder? Isee them more as people who need debt help and not as monsters.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • CIS
    • By CIS 25th May 13, 10:10 AM
    • 11,127 Posts
    • 6,479 Thanks
    CIS
    • 25th May 13, 10:10 AM
    • 25th May 13, 10:10 AM
    it's only a matter of time before one of these thugs is brutally murdered collecting a debt.
    I've dealt with a few phone calls over the years about bailiffs being attacked or threatened and their not pleasant calls.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Igotothefootofourstairs
    • By Igotothefootofourstairs 25th May 13, 10:21 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Igotothefootofourstairs
    • 25th May 13, 10:21 AM
    • 25th May 13, 10:21 AM
    They're most unpleasant thugs and it does appear the press suppresses the stories. Although I do recall the case of Albert Dryden a few years back.

It's bit like traffic wardens... a lot are beaten up quite badly but it stays out of the papers and news reports. I wonder why this is?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 25th May 13, 11:45 AM
    • 62,054 Posts
    • 44,501 Thanks
    soolin
    • 25th May 13, 11:45 AM
    • 25th May 13, 11:45 AM
    They're most unpleasant thugs and it does appear the press suppresses the stories. Although I do recall the case of Albert Dryden a few years back.

It's bit like traffic wardens... a lot are beaten up quite badly but it stays out of the papers and news reports. I wonder why this is?
    Generally people being beaten up is not mainstream news- but I still hope the nasty little thugs doing it get caught and put away. I would also like them named and shamed in the press so that people know these nasty little people should be avoided when they are released as they are not people to associate with

Why should anyone work in fear, what next- beat up a nurse for refusing you drugs, or how about the bloke in the post office who wants some iD before he cashes your cheque?

I fear the fact you have posted this and do not appear to condemn violence shows what a truly terrible state we are in at the moment.

I despair and just hope that your view on the sort of person who gets into debt is wrong. Maybe my world is simplistic, but I still do not believe that someone in debt is by their very nature a thug.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 26th May 13, 8:07 PM
    • 4,289 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    stoneman
    • 26th May 13, 8:07 PM
    • 26th May 13, 8:07 PM
    Bailiffs appointed by councils and the courts are accredited and do not go around acting like "thugs". More some of the people they are collecting from are the ones to watch out for.

*Rant on*
    People should be more mindful of their finances.
    Paying for the services you receive should be ahead of the Sky, internet, mobile phone, fags and booze and drugs. If you are indeed in need of financial help then you will be helped.

I for a period of time had to attend the job centre to sign for JSA. The same people that are there to help you are the ones that have to sit behind reinforced screens and have security stationed in the building for fear that someone won't like his/her routine being disrupted when they are asked to randomly come in to attend on a day or time that they are used to, because in some cases it would interfere with their secret work.

I was once on Working Tax Credit and asked the council about Council Tax benefit. I can tell you that Nottingham City Council have teams of people looking into the secret finances that people have. Being self-employed I was made to produce the last 6 months bank statements for both me and my wife and any other accounts or share accounts we had. I was asked to account for each deposit that was made into it.

One adviser told me that every day they catch people that are claiming or trying to claim that have been caught out secretly working, or making more than they claim. The councils are just being extra careful now, helping to save OUR MONEY.
    *Rant over*
    Last edited by stoneman; 26-05-2013 at 8:18 PM.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 27th May 13, 8:22 AM
    • 11,127 Posts
    • 6,479 Thanks
    CIS
    • 27th May 13, 8:22 AM
    • 27th May 13, 8:22 AM
    Although I do recall the case of Albert Dryden a few years back.
    A thoroughly unpleasant man who actively threatened local people (with guns) for years before he finally killed the council officer (and wounded the police officer and reporter) and was jailed.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • redmalc
    • By redmalc 27th May 13, 8:32 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    redmalc
    There would be no need for Bailiffs if people got their priorities right,that is in most cases,Sky Tv,Booze,fags and the latest mobile phones are not essentials,well they were not in my mothers days when things were difficult,to many do gooders and companies making it easy for people to get things they cannot afford,get real
    • CIS
    • By CIS 27th May 13, 12:52 PM
    • 11,127 Posts
    • 6,479 Thanks
    CIS
    I've got to say though , that in my local authority, there will be very few, if any, of the cases affected by the benefit change going to a bailiff - the ones sent to the bailiff will only be those with large, long term arrears.

Many local authorities will not use a bailiff as a matter of course anyway against people with less than a £100.00 or so outstanding so that in itself rules out he vast majority of cases affected.
    • Naughty Noonoo
    • By Naughty Noonoo 28th May 13, 3:59 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Naughty Noonoo
    As one door opens another door closes....
    As one door closes another opens ...

A "bailiff boom" should provide more gainfull employment opportunities to those affected by benefit cuts
    Originally posted by Wywth
    Since the benefit cuts in April the local bookmakers have taken a real hit according to my friend who works there, so much so that he is really concerned about his job.
    We are all in it together *
    * exclusions apply (MP's, Bankers & Spongers)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,671Posts Today

5,143Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin