Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 17th May 13, 11:54 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Silent PPI calls to be probed by Ofcom
    • 17th May 13, 11:54 AM
    MSE News: Silent PPI calls to be probed by Ofcom 17th May 13 at 11:54 AM
    "Silent and abandoned phone calls about PPI are being investigated by telecoms watchdog Ofcom ..."

Read the full story:

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 20-05-2013 at 3:39 PM.
Page 1
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 17th May 13, 12:12 PM
    • 4,173 Posts
    • 10,055 Thanks
    Seakay
    • 17th May 13, 12:12 PM
    • 17th May 13, 12:12 PM
    good to know but my most annoying calls are made from abroad, have no controls exerted over them (as far as I know) and if you say no or try to find out who they are and/or how they got your number you often get an earful of abuse

I joined TPS years ago, but in the last couple of years you would never know as I get a lot of calls from abroad and quite a few from the UK - these companies often try to blame me for signing up for something (untrue) but if I manage to speak to someone senior it usually turns out that they have bought my info even though I always make sure that I say my information, if given for any reason, should not be passed on to anyone. Oh and it is always the case that 'company policy' prevents them from telling me who sold them my details.
    Last edited by Seakay; 17-05-2013 at 12:16 PM.
  • DaveAA
    • 17th May 13, 12:32 PM
    • 17th May 13, 12:32 PM
    Too little, too late - and it will be another two or three years before some weak and ineffective report emerges.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 17th May 13, 1:53 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 17th May 13, 1:53 PM
    • 17th May 13, 1:53 PM
    good to know but my most annoying calls are made from abroad, have no controls exerted over them (as far as I know) and if you say no or try to find out who they are and/or how they got your number you often get an earful of abuse
    Originally posted by Seakay
    My thoughts as well, I've taken to just ignoring the landline during the day now because most calls are silent ones or other nonsense. I did like the look of that BT one that would not ring on international or withheld numbers until I found that if you have a standard phone connecting through the BT's base station the standard phone will still ring. That makes it quite pricey to replace a set of phones that are otherwise working fine.

John
    • minislim
    • By minislim 17th May 13, 2:07 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    minislim
    • 17th May 13, 2:07 PM
    • 17th May 13, 2:07 PM
    at last! this has been greatly needed for too long. i get at least 3 calls a week on my land line and almost one a day on my mobile.
    i've been registered with tps for months now and i still get them.

they do seem to be trying a different route now using skype based phone calls which have a different number and are hard to trace.
    • magic crayon
    • By magic crayon 17th May 13, 4:04 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    magic crayon
    • 17th May 13, 4:04 PM
    • 17th May 13, 4:04 PM
    'Two calls a week is too many'

I'd say that any of these calls ever is too many! I don't even have a land line connected any more because of the amount of rubbish I get. I am NEVER going to buy anything from any of these companies anyway so its as much a waste of their time as it is mine when they call.
    • kazt2006
    • By kazt2006 17th May 13, 7:26 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    kazt2006
    • 17th May 13, 7:26 PM
    PPI calls
    • 17th May 13, 7:26 PM
    I just thought I'd add to this - I get upto 3 calls a day from automated PPI and reclaim services! Luckily in most cases it's just a case of clearing the answerphone on an evening when i get in from work! I've now registered for TPS (but takes 28 days to kick in) and have now gone back to having caller ID on the line!

The best bit is that I've already had my PPI back following ML's advice and doing it myself! Wise enough not to be pressured into ever taking it again!
  • DaveAA
    • 17th May 13, 10:19 PM
    Ofcom policy is one of inaction.
    • 17th May 13, 10:19 PM
    This recent press release is suitably scathing of the current Ofcom policy of inaction.

http://www.fairtelecoms.org.uk/uploads/1/1/4/5/11456053/more_ofcom_inaction.pdf
    • chris_m
    • By chris_m 18th May 13, 7:36 AM
    • 7,437 Posts
    • 28,994 Thanks
    chris_m
    • 18th May 13, 7:36 AM
    • 18th May 13, 7:36 AM
    I just thought I'd add to this - I get upto 3 calls a day from automated PPI and reclaim services! Luckily in most cases it's just a case of clearing the answerphone on an evening when i get in from work! I've now registered for TPS (but takes 28 days to kick in) and have now gone back to having caller ID on the line!
    Originally posted by kazt2006
    The TPS is a toothless waste of space and money in my view - all these shysters have to do is use a foreign call centre (which most of them do) and the TPS can't touch them, nor can Ofcom.

What's needed is for Ofcom to get together with the FSA and any other required government departments and close these companies down for good. None of thess outfits serve a useful purpose, their only goal is to cream off a percentage from what people can claim themselves for free and they don't care who they are calling. Frequently I get the same outfit calling several times and they don't even listen if you do try and correct them.
    I had one Indian ask for a name I've never heard of (except from them and their ilk) and when I said that person didn't live here he went on to say that they'd managed to reclaim 10K of PPI for me. When I said that that was damned good going he seemed to think it was a compliment until I pointed out that he had absolutely no idea to whom he was talking, apart from that it wasn't the name for which he'd asked, so to have reclaimed all that money for "me" would be a miracle.

I've given up being polite to them now, as far as I'm concerned PPI is a four-letter word with a letter missing so I give them a four-letter word back without any letters missing then add them to my call blocker.

The most annoying ones are those that just play a recorded message at you, I can't even get the pleasure of someone real hearing my reply.
    Last edited by chris_m; 18-05-2013 at 7:42 AM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 18th May 13, 8:37 AM
    • 5,690 Posts
    • 2,547 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Two a week??? I sometimes get 3 or 4 in a morning on the landline!! Lately I've been bombarded by calls from 01269 numbers - some call centre involved with insurance - different last 6 digits every time!!
  • FridgeRaider
    Yes Ofcom investigating Silent PPI calls is a really good idea!
    Good news Ofcom are 'investigating' 'Silent PPI calls'.

In the meantime, don't give up on TPS... it IS still worth registering. See their excellent information for exactly what it can & can't stop, plus who to contact about the reminder.
    <sorry can't paste link>

One useful note: Once you register a residential number you don't have to renew BUT be aware... if you change stuff TPS may be told your line is 'inactive' and so will remove your number from the TPS list. This could include changing your telephone package, adding broadband or changing telephone line service provider. So I guess if you've done these try re-registering.

Also: TPS doesn't cover 'Automated Messages' or 'Marketing telephone calls from overseas' Both of these should be reported to: The Information Commissioners Office
    <sorry can't paste link>

If you can make time in your busy day... note the exact date and time of the call and report using their above link. Including your phone number & service provider(s) will help make them aware of the scale of the problem.

My service provider (the oldest one in the country) told me they don't get enough complaints to justify more research into better technologies and features like being able to block international calls overnight.
    Last edited by FridgeRaider; 18-05-2013 at 5:42 PM. Reason: Wrong icon
    • Badrick
    • By Badrick 18th May 13, 11:55 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    Badrick
    The TPS has no actual power of enforcement, that is the responsibility of the Information Commissioner.
    No penalty has been imposed
    on any UK firm flouting the "cold calling" rules in the past 18 months.
    Many UK firms now merely claim to be doing "market research"
    which isn't covered by the TPS, to sidestep the rules, in effect making the TPS a pointless exercise.
    If you're receiving silent calls, and can note the callers number (via 1741), it's worth reporting online to Ofcom, as the more complaints they receive, the more chance they might do something one day.
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
    • Igotothefootofourstairs
    • By Igotothefootofourstairs 19th May 13, 1:54 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Igotothefootofourstairs
    TPS is a waste of time and doesn't stop these callers.

And isn't it about time all premium calls like 118 0844 etc. were banned too?

That'll be a winning manifesto pledge for a political party.
    • jap200
    • By jap200 21st May 13, 9:53 AM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 3,408 Thanks
    jap200
    TPS is a waste of time and doesn't stop these callers.

And isn't it about time all premium calls like 118 0844 etc. were banned too?

That'll be a winning manifesto pledge for a political party.
    Originally posted by Igotothefootofourstairs
    Agree! I have been registered with TPS for many years and some weeks get several of these calls per day - either silent or recorded messages. Sometimes the caller display shows a local number, other times it's just zeros or 'out of area'. I work from home running my own business and therefore have to answer the phone with my 'business voice' (except for the zero display calls), but it drives me mad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

1,997Users online

Martin's Twitter