Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 13th Jun 05, 9:08 PM
    • 6,174Posts
    • 21,392Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    Fresh cherries - how to use?
    • 13th Jun 05, 9:08 PM
    Fresh cherries - how to use? 13th Jun 05 at 9:08 PM
    Over the weekend one of my colleagues picked up a massive box of fresh cherries for £3 from the market. We've spent all day in the office munching our way through them, and as nobody wanted the last 60 or so, I offered them a good home...

So, first and most urgent question - do they freeze well? (Some are threatening to go soft already, and I'm not around to do any cooking until at least Thursday).

Second question - what do I make with them? Something cake-like would be ideal, as I could take it into the office and feed it to the person who so kindly supplied me with all those free cherries
Page 1
    • catznine
    • By catznine 13th Jun 05, 9:11 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 13th Jun 05, 9:11 PM
    • 13th Jun 05, 9:11 PM
    I had to deal with some over ripening cherries last week, they were in my organic fruit and veg box - yes you can freeze them, I cut them in half and took the stones out before I froze them, they will be added to fresh fruit salads, which I make weekly using contents of organic box and apple juice (very easy).
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
    • maryb
    • By maryb 13th Jun 05, 9:23 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 49,551 Thanks
    maryb
    • 13th Jun 05, 9:23 PM
    Mary berry has a lovely recipe for cherry tart. basically do a flan case with pate sucree (6 oz flour, 3oz butter, 1 egg yolk and a tablespoon of water) and bake it blind. Then put stoned cherries in the case and fill with an egg custard mix. Bake about half an hour until set then sieve icing sugar over the top. Good hot or cold
    • grownup1
    • By grownup1 13th Jun 05, 9:23 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    grownup1
    I love dried cherries. I wonder if you could dry them in a warm oven? Tell me if you've tried it, anyone.
    • Mado
    • By Mado 13th Jun 05, 9:39 PM
    • 20,484 Posts
    • 42,143 Thanks
    Mado
    • 13th Jun 05, 9:39 PM
    • 13th Jun 05, 9:39 PM
    I always find it a crime not to eat cherries fresh.. but I'll let you off as you already scoffed up most of it.
    Cheery clafoutis (well calfoutis aux cerises) would be the obvious to me. Can't think if I have a recipe but it's really a baked thick flan with stoned cherries in.

Almost same as the recipe above but without the pastry.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
    • blue-kat
    • By blue-kat 14th Jun 05, 6:14 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    blue-kat
    • 14th Jun 05, 6:14 PM
    • 14th Jun 05, 6:14 PM
    pop them in resealable clean jam jars and cover with brandy to preserve and inebriate them.
    -
    blue-kat
  • wigginsmum
    • 22nd Jun 06, 1:18 PM
    What to do with 1lb fresh cherries?
    • 22nd Jun 06, 1:18 PM
    Bought them today and would like to do some baking or cooking with them, but am waiting for inspiration to strike. Any ideas?
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • Philippa36
    • By Philippa36 22nd Jun 06, 1:21 PM
    • 5,862 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    Philippa36
    • 22nd Jun 06, 1:21 PM
    • 22nd Jun 06, 1:21 PM
    Eat them

I love them but I haven't been able to justify the cost so far. Pies, crumbles, or just as they are from the bag. Reminds me of my school days, we used to sit on the field after school and eat bags of cherries we had bought from the local green grocers.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • wigginsmum
    • 22nd Jun 06, 1:24 PM
    • 22nd Jun 06, 1:24 PM
    Near me they're currently £1 for 1lb or £1.50 for 2lbs; I don't normally buy them so I don't know how that compares pricewise. I'm looking at recipes for clafoutis but I think it'd be too similar to the raspberry cobbler I made last night. We could just eat them as they are, I suppose.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • brokenwings
    • By brokenwings 22nd Jun 06, 1:25 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    brokenwings
    Cherry Sauce.

stone about 2 cups of cherries and place in a pan
    add 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water.
    bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until the juice has thickened.
    strain if you wish, then serve warm or cold over ice cream .
    • Philippa36
    • By Philippa36 22nd Jun 06, 1:28 PM
    • 5,862 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    Philippa36
    The cherries here are currently £3.49 a punnet!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • wigginsmum
    Wow - that is dear! I live at the bottom of Walthamstow Market which claims to be the longest street market in Europe so I guess I'm spoiled in that respect; we have an enormous range of fresh and cheap produce available. New Covent Garden is only 1.5 miles away too.
    • Chell
    • By Chell 22nd Jun 06, 1:54 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    Is there a quick way to stone them? I'm not sure I could be bothered otherwise?
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • wigginsmum
    I think you can get a special gadget to stone them but I just use a knife and make a vertical slit when I have to.
    • lewt
    • By lewt 22nd Jun 06, 2:11 PM
    • 7,492 Posts
    • 9,127 Thanks
    lewt
    just rip the stones out! if your making sauce anyway it dont matter.......
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
    • tanith
    • By tanith 22nd Jun 06, 2:19 PM
    • 7,982 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    tanith
    I'd be eating them while I was stoneing them so nothing would left to bake with
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
    • Floss
    • By Floss 22nd Jun 06, 2:34 PM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 45,689 Thanks
    Floss
    Just don't eat too many or it will be the scene from The Witches of Eastwick all over again!
  • wigginsmum
    Eeuuww - I remember heaving in sympathy while watching it! I can still picture them dripping off the lampshade ...
  • SusanCarter
    I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago (bought cheap cherries that is) and then as I wlaked out of the supermarket there was a recipe for a cherry cake. You basically make something like a victoria sandwich but in the middle you spread yoghurt (recipe said Greek but I just used ordinary natural yoghurt cos that's what I had) then cover with a layer of halfed stoned cherries begore putting top on. Sprinkle top with icing sugar and serve with a few whole cherries on the top. Sorry for typing errors - need to check on soup downstairs...
  • black-saturn
    Wow - that is dear! I live at the bottom of Walthamstow Market which claims to be the longest street market in Europe so I guess I'm spoiled in that respect; we have an enormous range of fresh and cheap produce available. New Covent Garden is only 1.5 miles away too.
    by wigginsmum
    Really? I was only there the other day. Are you at the 99p shop end or the Oxfam shop end?#

Ooops edited because I forgot to suggest pureeing them and making ice cream or pureeing them and putting them in lolly molds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,755Posts Today

7,407Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin