Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 14th May 13, 5:44 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: BT Sport: is its 'free' offer any good?
    • 14th May 13, 5:44 PM
    MSE News: BT Sport: is its 'free' offer any good? 14th May 13 at 5:44 PM
    "Football fans who want access to all live Premier League games should avoid locking into a long-term broadband deal..."

Read the full story:

BT Sport: is its 'free' offer any good?

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • jamesg123
    • By jamesg123 14th May 13, 8:12 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jamesg123
    • 14th May 13, 8:12 PM
    BT Sports
    • 14th May 13, 8:12 PM
    Can someone clarify as BT have left me confused?

After a long conversation with BT it appears on the surface that BT Sports is free for all BT Broadband customers HOWEVER i cant watch it through my television. I will explain

I cant get infinity in my area. So i am limited to BT Broadband
    because of this we can only view on our laptop or iphone but not our tv.
    I can opt for BT Vision box which i can view it through but only after launch (date to be confirmed.)
    If i opt for a youview box at sign up in my opinion better than a bt vision box (both free on sign up with bt) i cannot watch bt sports as it will only be available on bt vision boxes!!

Can anyone clarify this?? Please as this does not make sense. I have 7mps broadband and want a youview box from bt and free sports. ???
    Many Thanks and look forward to clarification as it will help others who cannot get fibre in their area
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 14th May 13, 8:48 PM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    WestonDave
    • 14th May 13, 8:48 PM
    • 14th May 13, 8:48 PM
    My reading of this (which may be wrong) is that its a bit misleading. BT Sport appears to be free if you have BT broadband or BT Infinity, but that only covers watching it on your laptop (albeit you might be able to hook your laptop up to your TV if both have HDMI ports). If you want to watch BT Sport through a TV then you need a TV package which costs a minimum of £5 per month plus £49 activation fee, and purely seems to get you the right to pay for on demand services over and above Freeview.

As I'm in contract until July I think I'll wait and see what story they are telling then!
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 14th May 13, 9:21 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    VisionMan
    • 14th May 13, 9:21 PM
    • 14th May 13, 9:21 PM
    The article (on prices) is wrong. And poorly researched too.
    • Colin_London
    • By Colin_London 14th May 13, 11:24 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Colin_London
    • 14th May 13, 11:24 PM
    • 14th May 13, 11:24 PM

I can opt for BT Vision box which i can view it through but only after launch (date to be confirmed.)
    Originally posted by jamesg123
    Correct - A BT Vision+ Box (Black Box) enables you to watch the Standard Definition BT Sports channels on your TV via your TV aerial and a smart card that plugs into the box (Cost £10 to BT Broadband customers only). It doesn't use your broadband connection, hence no need for Infinity. But reception isn't universal - you'll only pick up the channels if you can pick up ITV4 at the moment.

If you have any form of Sky Satellite service, including Freesat from Sky, as a BT Broadband customer you can get the channels for free that way instead. The HD option is available via Satellite.

If i opt for a youview box at sign up in my opinion better than a bt vision box (both free on sign up with bt) i cannot watch bt sports as it will only be available on bt vision boxes!!
    Youview boxes can only receive the channels via their internet connections as they do not have a card slot to decrypt the channels off-air. BT are only allowing Infinity customers (and not ADSL/ADSL2+ customers) to receive the channels via the internet (actually a special high quality multicast service called 'TV Connect').

Can anyone clarify this?? Please as this does not make sense. I have 7mps broadband and want a youview box from bt and free sports. ???
    BT are only launching the TV screen service over the internet to Infinity customers because they have only enabled the TV Connect service at Infinity exchanges. The TV service is very different to the PC/App lower quality service - it is broadcast quality picture and requires a high bandwidth connection. 7Mbps won't cut it at present.
    Last edited by Colin_London; 14-05-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    • Colin_London
    • By Colin_London 14th May 13, 11:35 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Colin_London
    • 14th May 13, 11:35 PM
    • 14th May 13, 11:35 PM
    My reading of this (which may be wrong) is that its a bit misleading. BT Sport appears to be free if you have BT broadband or BT Infinity, but that only covers watching it on your laptop (albeit you might be able to hook your laptop up to your TV if both have HDMI ports). If you want to watch BT Sport through a TV then you need a TV package which costs a minimum of £5 per month plus £49 activation fee, and purely seems to get you the right to pay for on demand services over and above Freeview.

As I'm in contract until July I think I'll wait and see what story they are telling then!
    Originally posted by WestonDave
    The £5 per month plus £49 activation fee is basically the cost for the hardware (if you buy your own Youview box from a shop you don't have to pay them, but instead have to pay £250 for your box!).

These prices have remained unchanged and have nothing to do with BT Sport, so it is true to say that the BT Sport services are no extra charge (although the £49 + £5 per month for 12 months is prerequisite if getting your box through BT).
    • smjxm09
    • By smjxm09 15th May 13, 5:35 AM
    • 539 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    smjxm09
    • 15th May 13, 5:35 AM
    • 15th May 13, 5:35 AM
    The £5 per month plus £49 activation fee is basically the cost for the hardware (if you buy your own Youview box from a shop you don't have to pay them, but instead have to pay £250 for your box!).
    Youview comes with different software depending who provided the box. Only a Vision box provided by BT will get the BT sports service.
    Last edited by smjxm09; 15-05-2013 at 6:31 AM.
    • Colin_London
    • By Colin_London 15th May 13, 7:11 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Colin_London
    • 15th May 13, 7:11 AM
    • 15th May 13, 7:11 AM
    Youview comes with different software depending who provided the box. Only a Vision box provided by BT will get the BT sports service.
    Originally posted by smjxm09
    Your info is out of date. BT announced Monday that they will provide BT Sport to their infinity customers who bought their own box in a shop.

The software on retail boxes connected to a BT line, and BT purchased boxes is identical.
    • Jintray
    • By Jintray 15th May 13, 7:32 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jintray
    • 15th May 13, 7:32 AM
    'Free' BT Sports
    • 15th May 13, 7:32 AM
    Here's how 'free' it is to me. I am a BT broadband customer, on the basic package. So I would need to get BT Vision (54 connection charge + 5 per month), or watch it on the internet with downloading charges (my limit 10 gb per month; I currently use about 5gb of that, so I could watch 2.5 games in a month). And I would need to move to a more expensive (HD ?) package at an extra 3 per month. And ESPN is only available online.

So hardly free. If the Advertising Standards Authority were worth a candle I would tell them about this. And I would tell BT, but they have no online 'contact' facility.
    • Colin_London
    • By Colin_London 15th May 13, 7:42 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Colin_London
    Here's how 'free' it is to me. I am a BT broadband customer, on the basic package. So I would need to get BT Vision (54 connection charge + 5 per month), or watch it on the internet with downloading charges (my limit 10 gb per month; I currently use about 5gb of that, so I could watch 2.5 games in a month). And I would need to move to a more expensive (HD ?) package at an extra 3 per month. And ESPN is only available online.

So hardly free. If the Advertising Standards Authority were worth a candle I would tell them about this. And I would tell BT, but they have no online 'contact' facility.
    Originally posted by Jintray
    Are you sure the BT Sport viewing online is coming out of your allowance? Even if it is, you are still able to view for free even for 2 games a month.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th May 13, 8:01 AM
    • 23,590 Posts
    • 12,931 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    BT are putting too many restrictions on this offer. It's certainly 'free' to those who already have a You View or Sky Box and a BT broadband connection, but I can't see many being tempted to actually switch providers by this deal. I certainly wouldn't be subscribing in order to watch online...
    • Colin_London
    • By Colin_London 15th May 13, 8:46 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Colin_London
    BT are putting too many restrictions on this offer. It's certainly 'free' to those who already have a You View or Sky Box and a BT broadband connection, but I can't see many being tempted to actually switch providers by this deal. I certainly wouldn't be subscribing in order to watch online...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    The primary purpose is to retain existing subscribers. But there will be some people who are not prepared to pay for a Sky Sports package who will be more than happy to get a bit more sport than the dregs left on FTA TV (myself being one of them).
    • Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 15th May 13, 8:56 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    For American Sports Fans and UFC fans, i phoned Sky today to price match BT's offering, which they did.

However, they told me that BT had purchased ESPN and would no longer be available through sky.

Thats my hand forced then!
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 15th May 13, 9:02 AM
    • 5,703 Posts
    • 3,570 Thanks
    visidigi
    You can buy bt sport and espn on sky though.

I have to say bt have completely lived up to reputation of being completely incompetent with this launch. It's a pr disaster waiting to happen when people start getting excess bandwidth charges etc.

The pricing model is too complex and it will fall on its backside spectacularly, just like itv digital, sesanta, ESPN etc etc.

And the consumer suffers most at the end of the day...
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 15th May 13, 9:15 AM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    WestonDave
    The primary purpose is to retain existing subscribers. But there will be some people who are not prepared to pay for a Sky Sports package who will be more than happy to get a bit more sport than the dregs left on FTA TV (myself being one of them).
    Originally posted by Colin_London
    BT haven't chucked the amount of money they have into BT Vision and BT Sport just to retain existing subscribers - they want to be a serious competitor to the market share dominance of Sky and Virgin, because they know their old primary market of telecomms is dying on its backside in the domestic market.

I strongly suspect this is just the opening shot to sign people up who are easy pickings - later in the summer when they start having to hand over tranches of cash to various sports for the viewing rights and don't have enough income coming in, they'll be offering better deals to try and hook new customers.

As far as I'm concerned on closer examination what they are currently offering isn't worth to me the extra money BT want over say Plusnet.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Former MSE Becca
    For American Sports Fans and UFC fans, i phoned Sky today to price match BT's offering, which they did.

However, they told me that BT had purchased ESPN and would no longer be available through sky.

Thats my hand forced then!
    Originally posted by Credit-Crunched
    Hi Credit-Crunched, this is true - ESPN will only be available via BT if you also take the BT Sports package. Sky has told me:

All customers in the UK and Republic of Ireland who currently subscribe to ESPN via Sky will be contacted by letter or email over the coming weeks to inform them that their ESPN subscription will be coming to an end on 31 July.

We will be doing a full guide in the coming weeks with all the sport channel options, and will be including info about ESPN, so please stay tuned.

Many thanks,
    MSE Becca
  • silvergirl
    Or you could.......
    Have a look at coolsport, which whilst not being super duper quality or HD, can be watched easily by any broadband user.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 15th May 13, 10:48 AM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    VisionMan
    Hi Credit-Crunched, this is true - ESPN will only be available via BT if you also take the BT Sports package. Sky has told me:

All customers in the UK and Republic of Ireland who currently subscribe to ESPN via Sky will be contacted by letter or email over the coming weeks to inform them that their ESPN subscription will be coming to an end on 31 July.

We will be doing a full guide in the coming weeks with all the sport channel options, and will be including info about ESPN, so please stay tuned.

Many thanks,
    MSE Becca
    Originally posted by MSE Becca

Hi Becca,

Sorry for saying, but your pricing in the article is wrong, as BT are actually offering the HD element free for the first twelve months. And that includes BB customers who want to watch via a Sky box too.
    • steven cardwell
    • By steven cardwell 15th May 13, 11:33 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    steven cardwell

After a long conversation with BT it appears on the surface that BT Sports is free for all BT Broadband customers HOWEVER i cant watch it through my television. I will explain

Many Thanks and look forward to clarification as it will help others who cannot get fibre in their area
    It would seem the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is up to at BT.

They launch BT Sport to a big fanfare, however not everyone is in an infinity area, and with that there is total confusion, the website, keeps wanting to flog a You View box, but that is obviously not any use to a non fibre customer wanting BT Sport when it arrives, so i can see quite a few annoyed users, come 1st August that find out they have been sent a box that can't get BT Sport.

I phoned up, and was told that i could get a Vision+ box, so i ordered that at the same time as adding broadband, i am a BT Phone customer already on line rental saver.

Talking of line saver, when i tried a mock online order, even with the info of my phone number, it still wanted me to add line rental to the online order, so the whole online ordering system is flawed.

My go live date is the 28th May, i currently get 3.6meg download with O2, but at the order stage, i couldn't get BT TV without an engineer visit, which is booked for the 29th May.

My home hub has arrived, however there is conflicting information regarding the delivery of the Vision+ box.

I am in a non infinity area, with no date set, for when fibre, if it even will, arrive, so i phoned sales, and asked how i would be able to get BT Sport, and was told i could order a Vision+ box rather than a You View box.

On my account, the home hub that arrived yesterday (Tues 14/5), had tracking information, for Parcelforce and was delivered without any issues.

The Powerline Adaptor Pair, BT Vision Spare Remote Control order was down for yesterday, but never showed up, and the Vision+ box and welcome guide is down for delivery today (Wed 15/5), they all have tracking information of "Dispatched by BT " rather than the "dispatched by Parcel force" that the home hub showed.

After phoning BT yesterday (14/5), which got me thru' to an overseas call centre, i was told, order would be out today (15/5), phoned again this morning, as unlike the home hub, there is no link to courier or anything on the website, to get an overseas call centre again, that says the Vision+ box is out of stock, and then tries to flog me the You View box, which as a non infinity customer wanting BT Sport is no good to me, he even tried to sell me the latter again, after i told him why it was the Vision+ box that was ordered!

Phoned back, and after a few button presses, that clearly got me thru to BT Sales, i got a UK call centre, that told me, as i have a BT Home Install visit, the engineer brings the BT Vision+ box etc with him, and it isn't dispatched on its own via courier.

Just getting a little bit confused now, as i got an email from BT, saying broadband & vision equipment was being delivered yesterday, MY BT account says vision equipment coming today, overseas call centre says out of stock, and UK call centre says engineer will bring box etc with him on install day, so what one is correct?

I have signed up for the BT Customer Forum, and sent a PM to ask, is it normal for engineer, to bring the vision equipment with him, as i don't want the 29th to arrive, and here comes the engineer with no box, who then tells me that is supposed to come separately.

How hard would it be, to have that information properly showing that if you have to order the Home Install, that the engineer brings the box with him, it is just the fact that i have been told 3 different stories, that i now don't know what one is true!

That is the one thing that i hate about these ISP's that sell tv services & then play "god", on O2 i currently use an xbox, and the likes of iPlayer, 4OD, Love Film, Netflix all work fine, even on wireless, yet i couldn't get past the "place order" stage with BT, unless i took a £35 engineer visit, to install a service that is suppose to require a min of 2 meg, and of which the BT estimate for my line says 3, and i currently sync at 4 with O2, with a download of about 3.6.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 15th May 13, 11:54 AM
    • 7,846 Posts
    • 3,223 Thanks
    almillar
    silvergirl - coolsport sounds a bit illegal...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,090Posts Today

6,239Users online

Martin's Twitter