Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 9th May 13, 1:57 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: EU plans to widen access to basic bank accounts
    • 9th May 13, 1:57 PM
    MSE News: EU plans to widen access to basic bank accounts 9th May 13 at 1:57 PM
    "Proposals to give more people access to bank accounts have been announced by the European Commission..."

Read the full story:

EU plans to widen access to basic bank accounts

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
  • Wywth
    • 9th May 13, 3:37 PM
    • 9th May 13, 3:37 PM
    Since the UK banks offer better access to bank accounts than the rest of the EU, and one key point of these proposals is to allow any EU citizen to easily apply for a bank account in any EU country (not necessarily the one they reside in, which is key requirement for most bank accounts today), then I fear the UK banks will end up with all those EU citizens who struggle to get a bank account in their own country.
    • socrates
    • By socrates 9th May 13, 3:53 PM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    socrates
    • 9th May 13, 3:53 PM
    • 9th May 13, 3:53 PM
    Since the UK banks offer better access to bank accounts than the rest of the EU, and one key point of these proposals is to allow any EU citizen to easily apply for a bank account in any EU country (not necessarily the one they reside in, which is key requirement for most bank accounts today), then I fear the UK banks will end up with all those EU citizens who struggle to get a bank account in their own country.
    Originally posted by Wywth
    And if they are basic bank accounts with no overdrafts or facilities - what does it matter?
  • Felix Schalyz
    • 9th May 13, 4:45 PM
    • 9th May 13, 4:45 PM
    EU this EU that I'm surprised they haven't introduced health & safety courses for people who suffer Diarrhea.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 9th May 13, 5:09 PM
    • 3,648 Posts
    • 4,155 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 9th May 13, 5:09 PM
    • 9th May 13, 5:09 PM
    EU this EU that I'm surprised they haven't introduced health & safety courses for people who suffer Diarrhea.
    Originally posted by Felix Schalyz
    Erm, this won't actually change anything with regards to the UK market. The proposals are all for things that already happen here.

If anything this brings the rest of Europe up to our standard.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Felix Schalyz
    • 9th May 13, 6:09 PM
    • 9th May 13, 6:09 PM
    Erm, this won't actually change anything with regards to the UK market. The proposals are all for things that already happen here.

If anything this brings the rest of Europe up to our standard.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    I understand that I'm just having a Rant about the EUSSR.
    • redux
    • By redux 9th May 13, 6:16 PM
    • 19,785 Posts
    • 27,535 Thanks
    redux
    • 9th May 13, 6:16 PM
    • 9th May 13, 6:16 PM
    What's that idea got to do with banks?
  • Felix Schalyz
    • 9th May 13, 6:45 PM
    • 9th May 13, 6:45 PM
    What's that idea got to do with banks?
    Originally posted by redux
    Nothing whatsoever cheers.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 9th May 13, 6:53 PM
    • 26,115 Posts
    • 13,281 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 9th May 13, 6:53 PM
    • 9th May 13, 6:53 PM
    Let's all get in touch with our MP's and demand a referendum on the EU before 2015!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • Felix Schalyz
    Let's all get in touch with our MP's and demand a referendum on the EU before 2015!
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    No we don't want that as I'm looking forward to the EU taking over the world.

The EUSSR are here.
    Last edited by Felix Schalyz; 09-05-2013 at 6:59 PM.
  • innovate
    Why?.................................................. .....

Don't we have many more pressing things our MPS should be doing?
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 9th May 13, 7:10 PM
    • 26,115 Posts
    • 13,281 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Why?.................................................. .....

Don't we have many more pressing things our MPS should be doing?
    Originally posted by innovate
    Getting us out of the EU and the Court of Human rights would be the best thing to happen to this country in the last 100 years!
    Can't think of many things to better that.
    Spend our money in our country is what I say.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 9th May 13, 7:11 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Consumerist
    If the energy suppliers are required to accept customers then I don't really see why banks should not be required to accept them too. Banking is just about as essential in modern-day life as energy, in my view.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 9th May 13, 7:19 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Is it just me, or will these proposals make no difference to anything?

At the moment, banks are happy to open accounts for everybody - except those with a bad credit history.

Under the new rules, banks will have to open accounts for everybody - except those with a bad credit history.
  • innovate
    Getting us out of the EU and the Court of Human rights would be the best thing to happen to this country in the last 100 years!
    Can't think of many things to better that.
    Spend our money in our country is what I say.
    You may be right, you may be wrong, I don't know.

I have never seen any complete record of the facts around the UK membership in the EU - - - precisely how much are the UK paying in, and how much are the UK getting back? How many UK people are freely settling/working in other EU countries vs how many folk from other EU countries settle/work in the UK? I got an inkling the real answers might be very surprising.

But in terms of more important things than an EU referendum: I'd like the potholes in our area (affluent South!!) repaired. I like the likes of Vodafone, npower and Philip Greene's wife to pay proper corporation taxes in the UK. I like to see bankers who ran their companies into the ground to face the consequences properly, not live happily ever after on half a million a year instead of a million. I like there to be proper probation services to give people who have served time a half-decent chance to get back on their feet. I like cancer patients to get access to drugs that offer them a life. I like to know what we do now to make sure our children can heat their houses and have lights at night. I like to know what is being done to eradicate child poverty.

Just a short list of huge problems that need resolving, and that have absolutely nothing to do with the EU. I'd like my MP to focus on those issues.

The EU-referendum debate is nothing but a deviation from the real problems in the UK. It's gonna be dire when the UK no longer can blame the EU for its woes.
  • Felix Schalyz
    You may be right, you may be wrong, I don't know.

I have never seen any complete record of the facts around the UK membership in the EU - - - precisely how much are the UK paying in, and how much are the UK getting back? How many UK people are freely settling/working in other EU countries vs how many folk from other EU countries settle/work in the UK? I got an inkling the real answers might be very surprising.

But in terms of more important things than an EU referendum: I'd like the potholes in our area (affluent South!!) repaired. I like the likes of Vodafone, npower and Philip Greene's wife to pay proper corporation taxes in the UK. I like to see bankers who ran their companies into the ground to face the consequences properly, not live happily ever after on half a million a year instead of a million. I like there to be proper probation services to give people who have served time a half-decent chance to get back on their feet. I like cancer patients to get access to drugs that offer them a life. I like to know what we do now to make sure our children can heat their houses and have lights at night. I like to know what is being done to eradicate child poverty.

Just a short list of huge problems that need resolving, and that have absolutely nothing to do with the EU. I'd like my MP to focus on those issues.

The EU-referendum debate is nothing but a deviation from the real problems in the UK. It's gonna be dire when the UK no longer can blame the EU for its woes.
    Our Schools are full, Our Hospitals are at breaking point, Our emergency services are being cut, migrants getting benefits we have worked hard for, Terrorists are free to stay in this country, lost our fisheries, 53 million a day membership, unemployment at a high, streets turned into ethnic no go areas.. AND YOU WANT YOUR POT HOLES SORTED!!!!
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 9th May 13, 8:49 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    Innovate & Felix - I agree with both of your points! However I do see the importance of re-diverting money back to the UK rather than the EU (bit of Thatcherism!).

Innovate - I don't know what we're paying in, but maybe £1 is too much - I haven't seen figures which show how we're benefiting from Europe?! Other than expats, I don't know many people who want to leave the UK for EU - they're going to USA/Oceania. I do definitely agree with companies, especially Voda, (which is a UK company!!) paying their taxes - we certainly have to, and I have no problem with that. I also think the NHS, while the best health service in the world, imho, shouldn't be a postcode lottery, and should focus on us, rather than EU citizens. After all, we pay for it.

Felix - EDIT: trying to stay fairly neutral on this, but I can't contradict anything you stated, not knowing actual figures! But I do want my potholes fixed
  • innovate
    Our Schools are full, Our Hospitals are at breaking point, Our emergency services are being cut, migrants getting benefits we have worked hard for, Terrorists are free to stay in this country, lost our fisheries, 53 million a day membership, unemployment at a high, streets turned into ethnic no go areas.. AND YOU WANT YOUR POT HOLES SORTED!!!!
    You are just being stupid now, just quoting one of the many examples I listed. Also, there's no need to shout - your arguments aren't getting better by raising your voice.

I do like the pothole example for its triviality - - because a country that cannot even fix its own potholes shouldn't have designs on sorting out serious political conflicts in countries who didn't even ask for help. And shouldn't be expecting the rest of the european continent, or the world, to agree with its own views on the world.

However, someone will be along before long, I am sure, and blame the EU for the potholes in the UK.

I do realise that we are deviating a lot from the subject of the thread - - - basic bank accounts, at least, for everyone (with address etc). I can't actually see anything wrong with that at all.

And I most certainly cannot understand why the anti-EU brigade would object to this motion - - - how would it hurt the UK if people in those parts of the EU that do not have the same basic bank account rights as people in the UK have had for years would now also have a right to a basic bank account?
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 9th May 13, 9:02 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    You are just being stupid now, just quoting one of the many examples I listed. Also, there's no need to shout - your arguments aren't getting better by raising your voice.

I do like the pothole example for its triviality - - because a country that cannot even fix its own potholes shouldn't have designs on sorting out serious political conflicts in countries who didn't even ask for help. And shouldn't be expecting the rest of the european continent, or the world, to agree with its own views on the world.

However, someone will be along before long, I am sure, and blame the EU for the potholes in the UK.

I do realise that we are deviating a lot from the subject of the thread - - - basic bank accounts, at least, for everyone (with address etc). I can't actually see anything wrong with that at all.

And I most certainly cannot understand why the anti-EU brigade would object to this motion - - - how would it hurt the UK if people in those parts of the EU that do not have the same basic bank account rights as people in the UK have had for years would now also have a right to a basic bank account?
    Why, because we're the greatest nation in the world! Haha.

In seriousness, I'm technically part of the anti EU brigade, but I have no issue with the motion to have EU wide basic bank accounts. It'd have, in my opinion, no detriment to the UK, or indeed anyone, at all!
  • innovate
    Innovate - I don't know what we're paying in, but maybe £1 is too much - I haven't seen figures which show how we're benefiting from Europe?!
    Originally posted by guesswho2000
    I haven't seen any figures either - -- thus I do not know whether paying in £1 is too much, too little, good or bad. We (the public at large) are not being told what the figures are. We are also not being told what the strategic investment areas are, and why.

We aren't being told these facts for the domestic area, or the EU area. We are just being kept in the dark. What's worse, we allow the forces that be (government, opposition, press) to keep us in the dark. Shame on us, really....

Other than expats, I don't know many people who want to leave the UK for EU - they're going to USA/Oceania.
    Do you have any figures on how many people left/are expected to leave the UK for where? And the same the other way round, how many people have come to the UK/are expected to come to the UK? I don't. I'd love to get some facts, and some independently verified numbers for future projections.

I also think the NHS, while the best health service in the world, imho, shouldn't be a postcode lottery, and should focus on us, rather than EU citizens. After all, we pay for it.
    See, I have heard this sort of thing a lot, and I have several issues with this:
    1. why do british people always seem to need to claim that what they have is "the best in the world"? Doesn't it occur to you that this p*sses off other people immediately? How dare any of us to declare any bit of the UK to be "best in the world" just because some of us think it is? What facts do you have to offer for being "best"? I always cringe about the arrogance to declare UK is best in whatever, without anyone having done any indepent assessment.
    2. what proof can you provide that the NHS focuses on EU citizens, rather than UK citizens? I have a feeling that you didn't really mean to say what you said
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

16Posts Today

3,809Users online

Martin's Twitter