Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tiff
    • By tiff 19th Mar 05, 10:23 PM
    • 6,551Posts
    • 8,597Thanks
    tiff
    smoothie / smoothies recipes
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:23 PM
    smoothie / smoothies recipes 19th Mar 05 at 10:23 PM
    We made banana smoothies tonight with the kids. The idea was good, they were keen to make them and drink them. But after a couple of mouthfuls they both put the drink down saying they didnt like the bits! I used a banana, milk and ice cream and whizzed it up in the food processor.

How do you make a smooth smoothie? Should I get a blender or are smoothies meant to have lumps?! I just want to get it right so that they enjoy it.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
Page 1
  • Edinburghlass
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:35 PM
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:35 PM
    No idea but no, I think Smoothies should be smooth?

Have to say I hate even orange juice with bits in it
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 20th Mar 05, 6:48 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 20th Mar 05, 6:48 AM
    • 20th Mar 05, 6:48 AM
    I make mine in a blender and they come out ok. I'm guessing it was the banana that was still lumpy? Maybe you could try mashing it before adding it :confused:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• flea72
    • By flea72 20th Mar 05, 4:25 PM
    • 5,258 Posts
    • 5,263 Thanks
    flea72
    • 20th Mar 05, 4:25 PM
    • 20th Mar 05, 4:25 PM
    i would say it was the food processor, they dont really puree stuff, they are more for mixing - best to use a blender
    • tiff
    • By tiff 20th Mar 05, 4:53 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 20th Mar 05, 4:53 PM
    • 20th Mar 05, 4:53 PM
    Thanks all, I will have to go out and get a cheap blender then. Are the stick ones ok for this?
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 20th Mar 05, 5:06 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 20th Mar 05, 5:06 PM
    I'd go for a proper blender rather than a stick for smoothies. I bought this one recently from Amazon as it also crushes ice, which is good for smoothies too. It also came with a coffee/spice grinder which I thought was great considering it was so cheap
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 20th Mar 05, 5:06 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    I saw a Kenwood smoothie maker today -my kids were trying to talk me into it but I resisted. It was 25ish and looked like an ordinary goblet blender but, whoo hoo! it had a tap!
    • debbym
    • By debbym 20th Mar 05, 7:35 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    debbym
    • 20th Mar 05, 7:35 PM
    • 20th Mar 05, 7:35 PM
    I use a stick blender for ours - but this is simply because I already have one.

The trick is to use a container only slightly wider than the end of the blender, an old pint glass is what we use
  • fazer6
    • 21st Mar 05, 8:40 AM
    • 21st Mar 05, 8:40 AM
    I got given a smoothie maker for christmas but have only used it for soup and breadcrumbs so far. I think the difference with a smoothie maker is that they have a central bit with a sort of mesh round it. The fruit and stuff gets chopped up in the middle and everything is pushed out through the mesh so it's smoother and the pulp stays in the middle. Like a sieve I suppose. Hope that makes sense!
  • bugs
    You could try sieving it, or if the bits are too big even for that, putting muslin in the sieve, or passing it through a jelly bag?

I like bits...
  • jennyjo
    I use a stick blender for smoothies
    and use yoghurt as well as icecream

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me
  • MonkeyGirl
    Smoothies / milkshakes
    I make my own smoothies but the only one I seem to do is banana. Does anyone have any more ideas? I don't have any fresh veg. So it will have to be fruit ones. Sorry if a post like this has been posted before but I can't get the hang of the search feature I don't think it likes me .

Thank you for any recipes you can come up with.

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 13th Jun 05, 12:24 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I've looked too. There are a couple of recipes scattered about the place but there's no definitive collection for smoothies.

So this could be the start of our Smoothies Collection
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Lillibet
    I'd suggest that to find your feet you keep like with like : cirtus fruit with citrus fruits (apples, oranges, pears, pineapple, grapefruit), soft fruit with soft fruits (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, grapes) summer season fruits with summer season fruits (peaches, plums, necterines, mangos, cape goosberries). Once you are used to them you can mix & match.
    Here are 2 of my favourites to help you on your way :

Breakfast Smoothie
    1/2 tin peaches
    1/4 grapefruit
    1/2 mango
    Skimmed milk
    Banana if desired

Hot Sunny Afternoon Smoothie
    Strawberries
    Frozen raspberries
    Frozen blackcurrents
    2 slices tinned/fresh pineapple
    Splash lemonade

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 13th Jun 05, 12:30 PM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    a few here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search.shtml?scope=recipes&q=smoothie
    http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/drinks/softdrinks/articles/0,,164302_175754,00.html
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 13th Jun 05, 12:38 PM
    • 4,708 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    My favourite is banana mango and a tin of papaya chunks.
    I always seem to include banana as it is my favourite.
    travelover
    • Pal
    • By Pal 13th Jun 05, 1:24 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Pal
    Stick some passion friut in the banana smoothy.
  • MonkeyGirl
    Thank you for all your ideas . I shall get whizzing soon. I should say right now the fruit I have is: Pineapple, bananas, melon, apples, cherries I think thats about it. I shall be getting some more on Thursady so I will let you know if I get any other fruits.

• Hornyrhino
    My fave is vanilla ice cream with a sprinkle of coffee granules...delicious!! Just like an iced Frappe but MUCH nicer!! Had one last nite actually!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 13th Jun 05, 3:38 PM
    • 9,157 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    calleyw
    When I use to make smoothies.

I would put in banana, De-frosted mixed fruit(strawberries, Raspberries, blue berries, blackcurrants)an apple or two and a splash of OJ.

Very nice. And healthy. But it would take me for ever to drink it. As it made a huge glass full each.

Can you count a smoothie towards the fruit and veg count for a day.

Yours

Calley
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

3,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin