Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Highland Doll
    I'd like to make Tomato Sauce..anyone made it?
    • 12th Jun 05, 6:36 PM
    I'd like to make Tomato Sauce..anyone made it? 12th Jun 05 at 6:36 PM
    I fancy making home made tomato sauce, Ketchup stuff. Has anyone made it? I would appreciate a recipe if you have. My hubby was saying that the only thing missing from his chips last night (made with deep-fat fryer bought on sale at Makro) was some tomato sauce. I didn't have any in cupboard so it was just salt I'm afraid. Is it eccomical to make tomato sauce or is it cheaper to buy it? Just another move in the direction of 'old style' for me
    So, if you know how to make it, i'd love to know so I can try it. Thanks.
Page 1
    • redfox
    • By redfox 12th Jun 05, 7:49 PM
    • 14,169 Posts
    • 38,130 Thanks
    redfox
    • 12th Jun 05, 7:49 PM
    • 12th Jun 05, 7:49 PM
    I did make it one year when we had a glut of homegrown tomatoes and it was really very, very nice if a bit time consuming to do. The recipe I used (and I can't remember where I got it from but I did remember to write it down ) was:

1kg whole ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
    1 large onion, peeled and sliced finely
    100g soft brown sugar
    150ml cider vinegar
    1 clove crushed garlic
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    1/4 teaspoon mustard powder (Colmans)
    1/4 teaspoon allspice
    1/4 teaspoon ground mace
    Small piece of cinnamon stick
    4 whole cloves
    Bay leaf
    teaspoon black peppercorns
    Salt and black pepper

Combine the tomatoes and the onion in a heavy bottomed pan and simmer really slowly, stirring occasionally until soft and a bit gloopy (it'll take about an hour) Then push the pulpy tom/onion mix through a sieve and return to the pot. Add the sugar, vinegar, garlic, tomato puree and mustard powder. Tie the remaining spices and the bay leaf in a piece of muslin to make a bouquet garni and add this to the pot. Then simmer the mix until it is thick (stirring frequently), check the seasoning, remove the bouquet garni. Add salt and black pepper to taste, then allow to cool, pour into bottles and store in the fridge. It won't keep forever obviously but actually it was so good that it had no chance of hanging around too long in our house anyway - we had ketchup with everything
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 13th Jun 05, 12:06 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 13th Jun 05, 12:06 AM
    • 13th Jun 05, 12:06 AM
    Looks like Hugh Furry Animal's recipe. I've done it with tinned toms too!
  • apple_mint
    • 13th Jun 05, 6:51 AM
    • 13th Jun 05, 6:51 AM
    How many tins of tomatoes did you use Debt_Free_Chick?

This would be a cheap alternative when toms are expensive in winter. Did you strain off the juice or just through the whole lot in?
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 14th Jun 05, 5:48 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 14th Jun 05, 5:48 AM
    • 14th Jun 05, 5:48 AM
    2 tins and I chucked the juice in, as you cook it long enough for it to thicken up.

You should strain the seeds out, as they can make the ketchup bitter and spoil the end result. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 14th Jun 05, 8:05 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 14th Jun 05, 8:05 AM
    • 14th Jun 05, 8:05 AM
    Linda McCartney's Homemade Tomato Sauce:

1 tbs olive oil
    1 garlic clove crushed
    1 onion chopped
    1 397g tin chopped tomatoes
    1 140g tin tomato puree
    120ml tomato juice
    1 tsp oregano
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic and onion and saute.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring the sauce to the boil, cover the pan, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Highland Doll
    • 14th Jun 05, 8:27 AM
    • 14th Jun 05, 8:27 AM
    Linda McCartney's Homemade Tomato Sauce:

1 tbs olive oil
    1 garlic clove crushed
    1 onion chopped
    1 397g tin chopped tomatoes
    1 140g tin tomato puree
    120ml tomato juice
    1 tsp oregano
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic and onion and saute.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring the sauce to the boil, cover the pan, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    by beachbeth

Thank You for this recipe, this looks so easy, I am going to try it this afternoon as I have all the ingredients in my store cupboard. Thanks!
  • AussieLass
    • 14th Jun 05, 9:43 AM
    • 14th Jun 05, 9:43 AM
    HIghland Doll,

How did your tomato sauce turn out? Did you like it? I might try some, never made my own before but looks easy enough.
  • Highland Doll
    • 14th Jun 05, 10:02 AM
    • 14th Jun 05, 10:02 AM
    HIghland Doll,

How did your tomato sauce turn out? Did you like it? I might try some, never made my own before but looks easy enough.
    by AussieLass

Hi Aussie Lass

I haven't made it yet, just about to toast my fresh bread that has just come out of the breadmaker then i'll make home-made Tomato Sauce this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes i'm looking forward to trying it
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 15th Jun 05, 9:33 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    Ive never actually made it myself but Im interested to know how it tastes too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,124Posts Today

9,025Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin