Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 3rd Apr 13, 10:45 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: SSE handed 10.5m mis-selling fine can you claim compensation?
    • 3rd Apr 13, 10:45 AM
    MSE News: SSE handed 10.5m mis-selling fine can you claim compensation? 3rd Apr 13 at 10:45 AM
    "The provider is to be fined for "prolonged and extensive" mis-selling, in what will be the largest ever penalty imposed..."

Read the full story:

SSE handed 10.5m mis-selling fine can you claim compensation?

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply. If you arent sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 3rd Apr 13, 11:09 AM
    • 6,497 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 3rd Apr 13, 11:09 AM
    • 3rd Apr 13, 11:09 AM
    So to make up their losses SSE will just put up prices.
    So cheated customers will get money back, and over time SSE will get their money back BUT all customers will have to pay extra forever.
    • CRISPIANNE3
    • By CRISPIANNE3 3rd Apr 13, 11:12 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    CRISPIANNE3
    • 3rd Apr 13, 11:12 AM
    • 3rd Apr 13, 11:12 AM
    I expect Marks and Spencer will be upset as they use SSE to front their energy arm.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 3rd Apr 13, 11:20 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 3rd Apr 13, 11:20 AM
    • 3rd Apr 13, 11:20 AM
    Do you reckon? Not so sure myself. Don't forget non-profit energy company (and unofficial champion of the disadvantaged) Ebico is also supplied by SSE and that's an ongoing relationship. It's not like SSE's dodgy selling practices weren't highlighted several years ago, is it?
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 3rd Apr 13, 12:44 PM
    • 9,026 Posts
    • 13,963 Thanks
    trisontana
    • 3rd Apr 13, 12:44 PM
    • 3rd Apr 13, 12:44 PM
    Wasn't there a manager from this company that used to contribute to this forum. I think he went by the name of SSE Guy ( or was it SSE manager)?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Plushchris
    • 3rd Apr 13, 2:32 PM
    • 3rd Apr 13, 2:32 PM
    Dont agree with the fine, ofgem should have done something other than giving them a reason to put prices up, Forcing them to fix their prices 5% below standard for the next 5 years or something.

However, glad to see this company finally exposed for being one of the worst offenders for doorstep miss-selling, I've heard utter lies from them time and time again (that includes the people you see in M&S selling SSE) I even had the misfortune to meet someone once that was a former salesman, he told me they were actively encouraged by the regional managers to target old people and foreigners who were more likely to fall for their lies, he also bragged that he once put a pen in and guided the hand of a blind woman to sign the sales slip having told her it was to say he had read the meter.

Scum.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently!
    • angelcakes_smw
    • By angelcakes_smw 3rd Apr 13, 2:48 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    angelcakes_smw
    • 3rd Apr 13, 2:48 PM
    • 3rd Apr 13, 2:48 PM
    Its not just SSE who should be fined. My DH left British gas four years ago after, during his training, he was told and taught how to get sales using the same tactics. He couldn't do it as it goes against his morals but he was made into a laughing stock by the other sales men for being 'soft' and 'weak'.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 3rd Apr 13, 3:15 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 3rd Apr 13, 3:15 PM
    • 3rd Apr 13, 3:15 PM
    Its not just SSE who should be fined. My DH left British gas four years ago after, during his training, he was told and taught how to get sales using the same tactics. He couldn't do it as it goes against his morals but he was made into a laughing stock by the other sales men for being 'soft' and 'weak'.
    Originally posted by angelcakes_smw

OFGEM say their investigation into miss selling is ongoing so expect some more fines. No idea whether BG will incur their wrath, though.
    • bob bank spanker
    • By bob bank spanker 3rd Apr 13, 3:16 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    bob bank spanker
    • 3rd Apr 13, 3:16 PM
    • 3rd Apr 13, 3:16 PM
    OFGEM say their investigation into miss selling is ongoing so expect some more fines. No idea whether BG will incur their wrath, though.
    Originally posted by MillicentBystander
    BG are the only ones not being investigated.....
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 3rd Apr 13, 3:18 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    BG are the only ones not being investigated.....
    Originally posted by bob bank spanker

Interesting. Thanks for that, BBS.
    • misterbarlow
    • By misterbarlow 3rd Apr 13, 4:28 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    misterbarlow
    if you pay sales people a poor basic salary and then offer them 25 for everyone they sign up, they are gonna use any tactic they can, aren't they!!
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 3rd Apr 13, 6:56 PM
    • 6,481 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    Scottish Power, Npower & Eon were in the same trough .. .. Ofgem outcomes are still being considered.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 3rd Apr 13, 7:31 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    Privatising this industry was a genius idea, don't you think?
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 3rd Apr 13, 10:29 PM
    • 6,481 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    Privatising this industry was a genius idea, don't you think?
    Originally posted by MillicentBystander
    - they're already about 11% through privatising the NHS, and no one's noticing that .. .. at all, bedroom tax ?
    - stuff called water falls out of the sky every day on this beautiful Island, that went to the French
    - the French with 59 nuclear reactors have a surplus of electricery, lectricite de France [EDF is the UK'™s largest electricity supplier
    - Npower [bought National Power, Midlands Electricity, Calortex and Independent Energy] is part of the German RWE Group
    - E.ON [bought Powergen UK] the UK's third largest natural gas supplier, is a subsidiary of German E.ON Group
    - Scottish Power, originally formed from the privatisation of South of Scotland Electricity Board, is owned by Spanish utility Iberdrola
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • wakeupalarm
    • By wakeupalarm 4th Apr 13, 9:11 AM
    • 738 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    wakeupalarm
    And SSE is British, it doesn't matter what nationality the companies are they are all out to screw their customers.

In an article in today's telegraph, there are calls for a Police investigation into SSE for the largest ever fraud in the energy market. But this has been going on since the consumer market was opened up to competition, by all energy companies. The number of postings on this and other forums about salesman knocking on doors and telling lies or people being accosted in the supermarket by these salesman just to get their commission is in the tens of thousands and go back over 10 years.

Funny how OFGEM is so shocked by this all of a sudden when its be going on and being discussed for years upon years.
  • Pegjes44
    Just a question: Is Southern Electric part of the SSE Company.

They've got the logo but i can find it on the ineternet.
    Thanks
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 4th Apr 13, 9:40 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    Same company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Electric
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 4th Apr 13, 9:42 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    And SSE is British, it doesn't matter what nationality the companies are they are all out to screw their customers.

In an article in today's telegraph, there are calls for a Police investigation into SSE for the largest ever fraud in the energy market. But this has been going on since the consumer market was opened up to competition, by all energy companies. The number of postings on this and other forums about salesman knocking on doors and telling lies or people being accosted in the supermarket by these salesman just to get their commission is in the tens of thousands and go back over 10 years.

Funny how OFGEM is so shocked by this all of a sudden when its be going on and being discussed for years upon years.
    Originally posted by wakeupalarm

OFGEM have never been quick on the uptake when action is required to stop the customer being ripped off.

Edit: It really is about time that the directors of these companies were held personally responsible to pay least a %tage of these fines. In this case the Govt. really can't lose - the fine goes to their coffers and the SSE customers effectively make up the shortfall. Whilst BG are not being investigated, by way of putting this fine to a multi billion pound company in context, BG's MD reportedly received over 3 million in remuneration last year. IIRC I'm sure I witnessed the SSE head honcho whilst being interviewed on TV stating no heads have rolled for this scandal. If true, that basically demonstrates what they think of their customers.

PS:

But the regulator shrank from handing its case files to police to investigate for possible fraud.

"We did not find any evidence that there was any intention to deliberately mis-sell energy," a spokesman said.
    Huh??

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/453269/20130403/fuel-bills-prices.htm
    Last edited by MillicentBystander; 04-04-2013 at 9:52 AM.
  • philD
    if you pay sales people a poor basic salary and then offer them 25 for everyone they sign up, they are gonna use any tactic they can, aren't they!!
    Originally posted by misterbarlow
    That's why SSE were fined sunshine - but the fine was NOT enough. People should group together (RBS for example) and bring charges against these companies - SSE being a prime example.
  • philD
    Just a question: Is Southern Electric part of the SSE Company.

They've got the logo but i can find it on the ineternet.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Pegjes44
    If you've been 'ripped off' then SSE is a probable target.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,134Users online

Martin's Twitter