Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 28th Mar 13, 9:33 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: New glitch hits RBS and NatWest apps
    • 28th Mar 13, 9:33 AM
    MSE News: New glitch hits RBS and NatWest apps 28th Mar 13 at 9:33 AM
    "RBS, NatWest and Ulster Bank customers who use the group's mobile banking apps have been unable to access their accounts..."

Read the full story:

New glitch hits RBS and NatWest apps

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 28th Mar 13, 11:12 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 28th Mar 13, 11:12 AM
    • 28th Mar 13, 11:12 AM
    If it was a denial of service attack, would they come clean?

Just a theory, the recent service outages were not technical faults, as they must have disaster recovery plans, backup systems etc. I suggest hackers have been blackmailing the bank, and they refused to pay up.

Second theory, the hackers have been blackmailing ALL the banks, and they all paid up, except NatWest.

Third theory, it's the Russians.
    The Russian !!!!! lost a lot of money in Cyprus, and they want it back.
    • ic
    • By ic 28th Mar 13, 11:43 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    ic
    • 28th Mar 13, 11:43 AM
    • 28th Mar 13, 11:43 AM
    My coop app wasn't working this morning. I figured as its the last working day of the month, a lot of people will be getting paid today so all checking their accounts first thing.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • dtaylor84
    • By dtaylor84 28th Mar 13, 11:52 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    dtaylor84
    • 28th Mar 13, 11:52 AM
    • 28th Mar 13, 11:52 AM
    Just a theory, the recent service outages were not technical faults, as they must have disaster recovery plans, backup systems etc.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    Your naivety is touching...
  • DJ1UK
    • 28th Mar 13, 2:22 PM
    • 28th Mar 13, 2:22 PM
    No issue really, just logged onto their website using my phone instead.

Must be a slow news day.

DJ
    • alanq
    • By alanq 28th Mar 13, 2:26 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    alanq
    • 28th Mar 13, 2:26 PM
    • 28th Mar 13, 2:26 PM
    Announcement in NatWest online banking says mobile and telephone banking will be unavailable 02:00-06:00 GMT on Sunday.
  • jamesd
    • 28th Mar 13, 2:39 PM
    • 28th Mar 13, 2:39 PM
    Doesn't this just affect access to the accounts with the mobile apps, not all access to the accounts by anyone who uses the mobile apps as well?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 28th Mar 13, 2:54 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 2,702 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 28th Mar 13, 2:54 PM
    • 28th Mar 13, 2:54 PM
    If it was a denial of service attack, would they come clean?

Just a theory, the recent service outages were not technical faults, as they must have disaster recovery plans, backup systems etc. I suggest hackers have been blackmailing the bank, and they refused to pay up.

Second theory, the hackers have been blackmailing ALL the banks, and they all paid up, except NatWest.

Third theory, it's the Russians.
    The Russian !!!!! lost a lot of money in Cyprus, and they want it back.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    Another theory, which has been mentioned by people who claim to be in the know, is that Natwest's creaky old system just can't keep up sometimes.

Anyway, like many others, I've spread my cash between a few different banking groups and keep some of the paper stuff at-hand.

I must admit that I was generally impressed with the way Natwest dealt with its major problem last year.
    • mrmajika
    • By mrmajika 28th Mar 13, 3:03 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    mrmajika
    • 28th Mar 13, 3:03 PM
    • 28th Mar 13, 3:03 PM
    Doesn't this just affect access to the accounts with the mobile apps, not all access to the accounts by anyone who uses the mobile apps as well?
    Originally posted by jamesd
    As someone who has been 'affected', I can confirm that this is the case.

A mild irritation at worst. For a whole morning it was like being back in the dark ages of 2010, when mobile apps weren't available, and I had to dust down the laptop.
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right!
  • Kate11537
    Massive inconvenience
    Natwest had a update on App Store last night. Updated fine. Today (payday) unable to transfer funds to pay rent and check what debits have came out before the Easter weekend. Sat on hold for 10mins and couldn't wait any longer! Would go into store but know there won't be enough staff and longer queues
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 28th Mar 13, 3:35 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 2,702 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Natwest had a update on App Store last night. Updated fine. Today (payday) unable to transfer funds to pay rent and check what debits have came out before the Easter weekend. Sat on hold for 10mins and couldn't wait any longer! Would go into store but know there won't be enough staff and longer queues
    Originally posted by Kate11537
    App Store? I guess you have an iThing. No problems with the Android app at the moment.

Can't you access your account online using a web browser? Natwest's website is definitely working - I've just used it to transfer some money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,556Users online

Martin's Twitter