Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 8th Jun 05, 1:53 PM
    • 1,476Posts
    • 826Thanks
    Cullumpster
    Hickory Smoked Chicken
    • 8th Jun 05, 1:53 PM
    Hickory Smoked Chicken 8th Jun 05 at 1:53 PM
    Hi All,
    Just a quickie, i've done a search but can't seem to find anything.

Ok, Me and my OH and the kids went camping last week and for the first night we thought we'd have something 'propper' to eat before we lived on beans bacon and egg

Anyway we went to a local pub and i had Hickory Smoked Chicken' which i've had before and it's lovely.

The thing is the kids and the OH though it was lovely too and ended up eating half of mine as well as their own dinners

So i've promised the kids that i'll make it for them the next time they come down to see us (Which is this weeked ) the thing is i don't know how to make it (the sauce, obviously not the chicken , and don't really want to be going out and spending money on a jar of sauce.

I'm hoping you guys could help me
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Jun 05, 2:31 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:31 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:31 PM
    This Recipe looks promising, but it doesn't say smoked. Maybe you need to blast it with a blow torch, or something
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 8th Jun 05, 2:38 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:38 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:38 PM
    thanks Sqeaky, but that recipie includes adding a 'cup' of hickory flavour bbq sauce.

Perhaps that's all it is bbq sauce with a smoked flavour :confused:
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Jun 05, 2:40 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:40 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:40 PM
    Darn it - I saw all those ingredients and thought they were the sauce. Sheesh! Hundreds of sites and they're all either on a restaurant menu or in a jar.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• bugs
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:51 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:51 PM
    What sort of sauce is it?

Smoked chicken...well, you could smoke your own chicken, hickory chips might be hard to get hold of, but there are smoker suppliers who could probably sell you some, alternatively use oak or apple which are much easier to get hold of and very tasty. My OH has done mackerel and cheese in this home made smoker - otherwise Lakeland sells some gadgets for smoking, but then, that's buying stuff again (at least ours is made out of old tomato tins! )

That would give you a lot of flavour, then you would have to work out cooking and a sauce but you'd have a good basis (and it needn't cost much, and will be there for you to use again and again!).

If it's a spicy sauce, you can buy smoked paprika which gives a lovely flavour and lasts for aaaaaaages, about 1.50 a tin and I defy you to use it up before the BBD is long past!
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Jun 05, 2:57 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:57 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:57 PM
    Smoked Paprika sounds nice. Do you know of a good source (not sauce) for it please?

• Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 8th Jun 05, 2:59 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:59 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 2:59 PM
    Thanks Bugs i'll try that.

The thing i had though was like umm......

A chicken breast wrapped in bacon with cheese on the top with a sort of BBQ sauce smothered on it but it was a really smoked flavour, oh well thanks everyone, looks like i'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a jar of it
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 8th Jun 05, 3:02 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    • 8th Jun 05, 3:02 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 3:02 PM
    to smoke something i saw a programme that put tin foil on the bottom of a really hot frying pan, then a mixture of rice, tea and sugar on top of the foil.

Put some more foil on top of that and then some oil on the top foil with whatever you want to smoke with the lid on and leave it for about 20 mins.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Jun 05, 3:07 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 8th Jun 05, 3:07 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 3:07 PM
    oh well thanks everyone, looks like i'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a jar of it
    by Cullumpster
    Then read the ingredients list on the jar!

If it's a short list you might just need to read the label in the shop!

• bugs
    Smoked Paprika sounds nice. Do you know of a good source (not sauce) for it please?
    by squeaky
    The brand I have used and seen most often is "La Chinata" (Google it for a pic of a tin). I bought mine in a deli type place in Leicester (the one in St Martins if that helps anyone!) but I have seen it in supermarkets, Sainsbury's keep it in their special selection. You can get hot or sweet, I prefer the sweet, as you get the chance to add a lot of flavour without heat. The hot is pretty hot. I imagine any of the spice suppliers people use would do their own versions.

Smoked paprika is also nice in a chilli, on cheese on toast, in curries, you just have to be careful not to get addicted and wind up with smoked paprika everything.

This year, we will be trying to smoke our own paprikas and chillis in that thar smoker

Cullumpster - you could try making a normal barbecue sauce (which I'm sure will be easy to find a recipe for, probably on here!) and add a little smoked paprika to it, possibly dust/marinade the chicken in that, and then use some smoked cheddar (Applewood or Oak smoked is easy to find) as the cheese topping, then the flavour would be through out. Actually I bet that would taste really nice. And I'm a vegetarian
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 8th Jun 05, 3:23 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    OOhh yummy that does sound nice thanks.

Squeaky, yes i'll do that, knowing my luck it'll have some weird and wonderful ingredient that i haven't got in the cupboard for a change
  • Galtizz
    Somewhere on Old style is a link to an American site which shows you the recipes to lots of American 'secret' recipes. There should be a recipe on there for hickory chicken. I've tried searching but I can't find it.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Jun 05, 3:32 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    The brand I have used and seen most often is "La Chinata" (Google it for a pic of a tin).
    by bugs
    I found a three pack on sale at Amazon of all places.

3 x 2.5 oz tins... one each of sweet, bitter sweet, and hot $12.95 (ish)

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Jun 05, 3:35 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Somewhere on Old style is a link to an American site which shows you the recipes to lots of American 'secret' recipes. There should be a recipe on there for hickory chicken. I've tried searching but I can't find it.
    by Galtizz
    AHA!

You reminded me. The site is Here but I haven't searched it yet

Edit: No luck
    Last edited by squeaky; 08-06-2005 at 3:38 PM.

• bugs
    to smoke something i saw a programme that put tin foil on the bottom of a really hot frying pan, then a mixture of rice, tea and sugar on top of the foil.

Put some more foil on top of that and then some oil on the top foil with whatever you want to smoke with the lid on and leave it for about 20 mins.
    by Cullumpster
    I've seen something similar, using a wok, with the grill that sits inside it.

I would definitely try to get hold of some wood shavings though (they must be a hardwood, I can't recall why) rather than that particular combination!

I'm fairly sure the instructions suggested moving the pan and all outside after you've started off the smoking so when you remove the lid the building doesn't get evacuated

Definitely worth experimenting with but trying it on your children probably best to go with the smoked paprika for now!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 8th Jun 05, 3:37 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen

by Cullumpster

That was James Martin who did that in his Deli series

If you want to go the "shop bought sauce" route then I can recommend Ainsley Harriot's Smoky Barbecue Sauce/Marinade ... it's absolutely delicious
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 8th Jun 05, 3:44 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    Thanks CQ i'll give that a bash.

I've just found a recipe for BBQ sauce

225ml tomato ketchup
    100ml cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon Chili powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups water
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    3 bay leaves
    1 clove garlic
    2 tablespoons onion -- chopped
    4 tablespoons butter
    4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 dash black pepper

Combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer about
    15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain.

Note! The celery pieces that are strained out are excellent
    eating.

i suppose you could make a big batch up and freeze it :confused:
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 8th Jun 05, 3:50 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    That was James Martin who did that in his Deli series
    by Curry_Queen
    Trust you to remember that. Alan Coxon also told us how to smoke food, but haven't looked that up yet. Another yummy smoked ingredient which is very useful is smoked garlic. I've only seen it for sale either online or at one of the continental markets that tour round the place - 15 cloves for 7. I've been thinking this week about smoking my own - so this thread is very well timed.

Garlic makes a roast chicken taste lovely - shove a cut bulb up it's bum, instead of a lemon Rub the skin with another cut bulb, then leave this bulb on the outside to flavour whilst cooking. Only done this in the oven, but I'll bet it's truly scrummy in the slowcooker.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 8th Jun 05, 4:05 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Trust you to remember that.
    by Ticklemouse
    I've no idea what you mean :confused:

Garlic makes a roast chicken taste lovely - shove a cut bulb up it's bum, instead of a lemon Rub the skin with another cut bulb, then leave this bulb on the outside to flavour whilst cooking. Only done this in the oven, but I'll bet it's truly scrummy in the slowcooker.
    Have you not read my Whole Chicken slow-cooker recipe
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• bethscott1970
    Why did I read the thread title as "Hickory Smoked Children"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

822Posts Today

6,445Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin