Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • catznine
    • By catznine 8th Jun 05, 10:37 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 8th Jun 05, 10:37 AM
    • 8th Jun 05, 10:37 AM
    Hello Peeejaay welcome to Moneysaving Old Style! Yes Bernadine Lawrence's book is excellent isn't it! I have had mine for quite a time. I like the shopping list she suggests and the menu ideas. Another good set of books (out of print now but available from charity shops sometimes) are the Shirley Goode cook books: The Goode kitchen, Goode for one and the Goode year. Worth looking out for
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
  • Queenie
    • 8th Jun 05, 11:01 AM
    • 8th Jun 05, 11:01 AM
    Welcome Peeejaay!

I agree it's an excellent book! I have the earlier version where the title reads: " ... 4 per day" (1989) but all the recipes/menu plans are the same - just the costings differ.

My middle son would eat the Bread and Cheese Pudding until the cows came home! Macaroni Chicked was a regular too

We are huge fans of her meatloaf, wholefruit cake, chicken casserole ....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 8th Jun 05, 11:09 AM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 21,108 Thanks
    FrankieM
    • 8th Jun 05, 11:09 AM
    • 8th Jun 05, 11:09 AM
    Hi Peeejaay,
    sounds like a great book. What sized family is that supposed to feed?

I've had a quick look on amazon but they don't have it in stock. Where did you get yours?

Frankie
  • Queenie
    • 8th Jun 05, 3:32 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 3:32 PM
    Welcome Frankie

The actual title is: "How to feed your family for 4 a day" .. well, the 2nd version was ... 5 per day. ISBN: 0-7225-1822-6

Bear in mind that this was written 16yrs ago and was known as "the benefit cookbook" some of the prices have altered over time; yet, with careful shopping and planning some of the recipe costings will still be do-able
    For example: she quotes chicken @ 2.50 ... rarely will you find it that price today, yet, you can sometimes get them BOGOF for 5 which will still work out 2.50 each!

If you can't find it via internet shopping, it's worth checking out your local charity shops and 2nd hand bookshops.

HTH

Ooops, forgot to answer your query Her family consisted of: 2 adults, 2 children, 1 toddler and 1 baby.
    • elona
    • By elona 8th Jun 05, 5:15 PM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    • 8th Jun 05, 5:15 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 5:15 PM
    Another really good book is "The Pauper's Cookbook" by Jocasta Innes - it has tips like using a chicken for three meals, making stock,pastry etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Peeejaay
    • 8th Jun 05, 5:30 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 5:30 PM
    Hi Peeejaay,
    sounds like a great book. What sized family is that supposed to feed?

I've had a quick look on amazon but they don't have it in stock. Where did you get yours?

Frankie
    by FrankieM
    Hi Frankie

I got mine through Amazon by asking for the title to be placed on the Marketplace board where people sell their unwanted books-it took ages but paid off eventually! I only paid 6 for it and it has paid for itself about 20 times over already!
  • Queenie
    • 8th Jun 05, 7:42 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 7:42 PM
    I've got that one too elona It's a good 'un!! I think to have a few good basic cookery books is essential! I wouldn't be without those two, or my "Every Day Cook Book" (Marguerite Pattern) and the "We'll Eat Again" series. I have a few others, naturally, , but those are my core LOL
  • tootles
    • 8th Jun 05, 8:14 PM
    • 8th Jun 05, 8:14 PM
    That book has been my bible for years, I gave it to my daughter when she left her partner and struck out on her own with two children..... she lives on maintenance for the children and a part time job, she does get some benefits, but has managed to save enough this year to take the kids for a once in a liftime trip to Florida.... I am so proud of her, The children are well mannered, which is something of a marvel in these days, they do not have TV, she cannot afford the licience, says she would rather use the money to feed her kids than have them watching rubbish on the box.

When they come to us I usually rent a video for them to watch. They read, listen to the radio play outside in their garden, all the things children should do.
  • Queenie
    That's wonderful to read, tootles! Well done to you for bringing up such a treasure of a daughter, and good for her on her achievement! That's amazing!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,712Posts Today

7,249Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just had a good meeting with @JohnGlenUK about mortgage prisoners. There are no easy solutions, but pleased it's no? https://t.co/8vcQCT6LvV

• Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Follow Martin