Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 7th Jun 05, 7:23 PM
    • 3,286Posts
    • 2,939Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    summer's here....any salad recipes?
    • 7th Jun 05, 7:23 PM
    summer's here....any salad recipes? 7th Jun 05 at 7:23 PM
    Has anyone got any salad recipes? my offering is sultanas soaked in orange juice mixed with lots of grated carrot, drizzle with olive oil, grind over some black pepper.
Page 1
    • catznine
    • By catznine 7th Jun 05, 8:03 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:03 PM
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:03 PM
    That sounds lovely AT. I am making a potato salad with leftover new potatoes and always add chopped up spring onion, in Germany they add chopped up ham as well. Another salad I like is:

Wardolf Salad

Few sticks of Celery - chopped up
    Couple of nice eating apples - chopped up
    Broken Walnuts
    Salad Cream

Mix all together and chill until use.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
  • Allexie
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:18 PM
    Caesar Salad
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:18 PM
    My favourite salad in the whole wide world is caesar salad...as in

St Delia's Caesar Salad

Must admit I've never actually made it cos it sounds such a faff...just order it in restaurants!

Does anyone have a cheats version
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Noozan
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:24 PM
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:24 PM
    I like beansprouts, lightly blanched and refreshed in cold water dressed with sesame oil, soy sauce, chilli, crushed garlic, pinch of sugar and then sesame seeds sprinkled on top.

Mixed salad leaves with orange segments and dressed with 50:50 balsamic vinegar and olive oil is tasty too.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 7th Jun 05, 8:41 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:41 PM
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:41 PM
    Beetroot Slaw
    Finely shredded cabbage
    Finely chopped onion
    Diced beetroot (either freshly cooked or pickled)
    Mix all together with mayonnaise and little salt and pepper and lemon juice. It's delicious

Coleslaw
    Shredded cabbage
    Shredded/grated carrot
    finely chopped onion
    mayonnaise
    little course grain mustard
    lemon juice
    salt and pepper

Mis all ingreds together and chill before serving.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 7th Jun 05, 9:03 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 7th Jun 05, 9:03 PM
    • 7th Jun 05, 9:03 PM
    Allexie - I made your Falafel tonight, they were great, thank you, I'll make them again!

They were served with HM granary bread, an 'english' salad with home grown lettuce, spinach and rocket plus the carrot, orange and sultana salad.

Pud was HM thick natural yogurt drizzled with a syrup made with scented red roses (this was a rose petal jam that didn't quite set, so I strained the petals out and the result is a thick magenta red syrup that takes wonderful)

Great grub!
  • Allexie
    • 7th Jun 05, 9:20 PM
    • 7th Jun 05, 9:20 PM
    Allexie - I made your Falafel tonight, they were great, thank you, I'll make them again!

They were served with HM granary bread, an 'english' salad with home grown lettuce, spinach and rocket plus the carrot, orange and sultana salad.

Pud was HM thick natural yogurt drizzled with a syrup made with scented red roses (this was a rose petal jam that didn't quite set, so I strained the petals out and the result is a thick magenta red syrup that takes wonderful)

Great grub!
    by apprentice tycoon
    Glad you liked the falafel, I usually have them with a dollop of yogurt with chopped fresh mint in it.

Ermmm...do we have the recipe for rose petal jam????

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 7th Jun 05, 9:54 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 7th Jun 05, 9:54 PM
    • 7th Jun 05, 9:54 PM
    I have made it before and it has been lovely, especially with scones, it didn't set this time but that could have been because I was doing 3 things at the same time, plus until this time I had been making half the amount because it's hard to get hold of 10 roses at the same time if you don't have your own bushes (these were given by a friend).

ROSE PETAL JAM

10 large red scented roses
    1lb jam sugar
    6 fl oz water
    juice of half a lemon

break up the roses and cut of the white ends of the petals to prevent bitterness, wash and shake dry
    in a medium sized pan dissolve the sugar in the water, add the lemon juice and all the petals
    simmer till the petals look glossy, crystallised and the jam has thickened, keep stirring, do not overcook or the petals will be tough.
    Pot as for jam in the normal way or strain to get rose petal jelly.

If it doesn't set for any reason it makes a very nice syrup topping for yogurt or ice cream
    Last edited by apprentice tycoon; 07-06-2005 at 10:31 PM.
  • Allexie
    • 7th Jun 05, 10:20 PM
    • 7th Jun 05, 10:20 PM
    Thanks for the recipe apprentice tycoon......must have a go

I always have probs with jam...it's either syrup or it's rock-solid glue - never anything in-between!!! :confused:

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 7th Jun 05, 10:25 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Thanks for the recipe apprentice tycoon......must have a go

I always have probs with jam...it's either syrup or it's rock-solid glue - never anything in-between!!! :confused:
    by Allexie
    I'm pretty confident with jam, I always use Jam Sugar because it's almost foolproof and make lots because I grow strawberries. I will have a go at this jam again when the rose bush produces again, I will try half the recipe next time
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Jun 05, 8:26 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    There's a Sausage and Rice salad in our recipe index, not to mention a number of vegetarian options that might be adaptable
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • KTFrugal
    Bread Salad for Cheapskates
    This is a classic of frugal ingenuity - don't ever chuck out that dry bread, you can use it up in so many ways.

Take your loaf of dry bread and cut it up (free upper body workout depending on how long you let the bread go) into cubes. Dunk them in a bowl of water and quickly fish them out, squeezing the cubes as you go. This makes the bread receptive to the dressing.

Make up the vinaigrette of your choice, I usually go with olive oil and balsalmic vinegar and toss with the bread. Then add whatever you like. Traditionally, for panzanella, the Italian bread salad, you add chopped tomatoes, basil and a little garlic. Olives are good here, some steamed asparagus is delicious, white beans add heft, you get the picture.

Keeps well enough to be lunch the next day too.
  • Galtizz
    Does anyone know how to make the sweet onion sauce they use on salads in Subway, or have any recipe for sweet onion sauce?

It would save my friend a fortune, she's addicted to it
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 8th Jun 05, 3:57 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    I'm not a huge veg fan but my 2 fave all time salads are chicken caesar (made with any caesar dressing, grilled chicken, grated parmessan and fresh croutons rather than with anchovies), and that French one beginning with N that has tuna chunks and just under cooked hard boiled eggs. Then I put in whatever salad ingredients are to hand.

Sometimes we'll just do a massive cold plate, but our biggest salad includes sliced egg, grated cheese, a piece of meat, something like a chicken drumstick or a pork pie, and, again, loads of whatever salad ingredients are to hand. Very filling.
    Highest debt: 35k (2005); Current debt: 6k (2018)
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; 50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; 2,500 cash; 36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; 1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Jun 05, 4:02 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Does anyone know how to make the sweet onion sauce they use on salads in Subway, or have any recipe for sweet onion sauce?

It would save my friend a fortune, she's addicted to it
    by Galtizz
    There's a recipe Here that has a sweet onion sauce recipe included but I've no idea if it's anything like the one you mean.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Minky2Slice
    Salad recipes required...
    I have decided to eat a little better in the evenings, instead of eating a sandwich or even worse just snacking on crisps/chocolate/sweets!...
    I have a cooked meal every day for lunch, so I need only something small for when I get home at night... i never really cook and have no recipes... so I need some nice salad-recipes...only thing I can do is potato-salad any help much appreciated! rice/pasta salad/ green salads? TIA
    ** i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay **
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 29th Mar 06, 8:26 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    i love a warm chicken salad

i cook a chicken breast on the george grill,then slice (can marinade in whatever flavour you like beforehand)

add to whatever leaves youve got ,cubed cucumber ,cherry toms,avacado etc etc

then i make a pesto mayonnaise to go with it and also a touch of parmesan

tis scrummy !
    • RacyRed
    • By RacyRed 29th Mar 06, 8:28 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 9,254 Thanks
    RacyRed
    Spooky!

I was looking up salad recipes in the Recipe Board thread as you posted!

Found these

Ark's Roasted mushroom salad
    Aril's Brown Rice Salad
    Ark's German Potato Salad
    Squeaky's Flageolet, corn and fenel salad
    Squeaky's sausage and rice salad
    Allexi's Tabouleh
    my Happy Salad

There are more...
    Last edited by RacyRed; 29-03-2006 at 8:40 PM.
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead
    Proud to be a chic shopper
  • kittiwoz
    I love salad but we haven't really had the weather for it lately.

Caesar salad (cheat's method):
    Lettuce, tomatoe, anchovies, croutons, Caesar salad dressing
    For the croutons cube a slice of bread, toss in a little oil, then dry fry it til it's crispy. You'll have more than you need just for one salad but you can save the rest til you need it. Provided it's fully dried out it won't go off.
    For the dressing mix 1tsp mayo with a dash of Worcestershire sauce or anchovy ketchup, 1 tblspn oil, 1tspn lemon juice and pepper and grated parmesan to taste. You need to add a couple of tblspns of water too because the cheese will make it thick.
    If you don't like anchovies you could make the same salad with grilled chicken or crispy bacon.

I love salad Nicoise as well:
    lettuce, green beans, tuna, boiled potatoes, black olives and hard boiled eggs in a classic french dressing of two parts oil to one part vinegar. A pinch of sugar and a little french mustard will help to flavour the dressing.

I like lettuce, green beans, prawns, smoked salmon and avocado in a creamy dressing for a luxury salad. I make the dressing by
    mixing mayonaise, yoghurt and water.

Greek salad is an easy classic:
    Tomatoe, onion, fetta cheese and black olives in vinagrette. Needs good tomatoes though, should be beefsteak.

I strongly recomend the classic book "Summer Cooking" by Elizabeth David. It's a wonderful book: The recipies are simple and delicious and Elizabeth David writes with an assurance and passion which really conveys the joy of food and cooking as well as being very reassuring to the novice cook.
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 30th Mar 06, 7:20 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    we eat salad any time of the yr lol

if you serve it with warm chicken / tuna or salmon fillet its not so bad
    also drizzle over a warm dressing
    yum yum !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

2,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin