Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 7th Aug 07, 5:44 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA:Should Walter's mum pay for Dennis the menace's temper tantrum?
    • 7th Aug 07, 5:44 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA:Should Walter's mum pay for Dennis the menace's temper tantrum? 7th Aug 07 at 5:44 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Walter's mum pay for Dennis the menace's temper tantrum?

Dennis, a rather unruly lad, is invited by his best friend Walter to play during the summer holidays. While all three are out in the garden playing mini-rounders, Dennis becomes frustrated by his lack of ability to catch, so snatches the ball from Walter and throws it straight through a neighbour’s window. Walter ’s mum feels she supervised the kids as best as possible and couldn’t have prevented the malicious incident.

Should Walter's mum pay for Dennis the menace's temper tantrum?
    Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Should flood ridden Rhett & Scarlett get free catering?
    Should Gordon pay to have Tony's eggs?
    Should Hermione contribute to Harry's dog Ron?
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • Keeping Positive
    • By Keeping Positive 7th Aug 07, 7:33 PM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 9,363 Thanks
    Keeping Positive
    • 7th Aug 07, 7:33 PM
    • 7th Aug 07, 7:33 PM
    No Dennis's parents should pay.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 7th Aug 07, 9:31 PM
    • 9,712 Posts
    • 58,578 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 7th Aug 07, 9:31 PM
    • 7th Aug 07, 9:31 PM
    Agree with Wendy, Dennis' parents should pay.
  • silizzy
    • 7th Aug 07, 9:33 PM
    No Way
    • 7th Aug 07, 9:33 PM
    NO WAY, Dennis's parent/next of kin should pay. If they don't Walter's Mum should approach the owner of the window and tell them the circumstances then never let her son play with Walter again unsupervised.

This kind of behaviour should not be tolerated, but Walter's Mum should not be out of pocket, as it isn't her or her son's fault. Dennis's parents shouldey should bear the cost.

• Leothecat
    • By Leothecat 7th Aug 07, 9:34 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 11,292 Thanks
    Leothecat
    • 7th Aug 07, 9:34 PM
    • 7th Aug 07, 9:34 PM
    Dennis's parents should pay.
  • Flighty
    • 7th Aug 07, 10:51 PM
    • 7th Aug 07, 10:51 PM
    Walter's Mum should pay and hope (HA) that Dennis's parents will do the decent thing and reimburse her. (And never let him nearWalter again).
  • Budget
    • 7th Aug 07, 11:30 PM
    Broken Window
    • 7th Aug 07, 11:30 PM
    Dennis' parents to pay, deducting the cost in weekly installments from Dennis' pocket money. UNLESS Dennis' parents live miles away and Dennis is staying with Walter and his parents for a few days, in which case Walter's parents to pay the neighbour and "reclaim" the payment from Dennis' parents asap. If they refuse, Walter's parents should sever all connections with Dennis and his family.
    Initial Debt = £9,700 (at 15.9%)

Net Debt at April 4 = [£9,680 (0%) less £2,905 (4.5%)] = £6,775
    Debt-free Date = 25 December 2006
    £2.00 Coin Savers Club = £30 (of which £20 banked)
  • 29spots
    • 7th Aug 07, 11:34 PM
    • 7th Aug 07, 11:34 PM
    Why are Dennis parents paying, Dennis should pay. If he is not able to then he should pay the debt off with jobs.
  • Texi
    • 8th Aug 07, 5:44 AM
    • 8th Aug 07, 5:44 AM
    Dennis might think he's rotten at catching a ball, but he sure can throw it. After congratulating him on that score, Walter's mum should pay since he was under her care for the duration of his visit. Denis's mum would probably feel obliged to reimburse Walter's mum but that's between them. Of course if you'd prefer to see Denis with even less self esteem, you could always hang a sign around his neck saying 'looser' or better still, put him out of his misery altogether but cutting him open to sell his guts for garters.
  • wishful saver
    Dennis's mum should pay. But if I was Walters mum i would also want to ensure that the neighbour was recompensed so would end up paying if Dennis's mum didn't pay up
    • airtrack12000
    • By airtrack12000 8th Aug 07, 8:51 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    airtrack12000
    Dennis
    Dennis parents should pay with Dennis being told to apologise to the neighbour who's window was broken
    Never pass up the opportunity to take a pee!
  • Estimator1
    Obviously, the size & cost of the replacement window should be considered, if it was (for example) a patio door costing £1000, I would try to get the neighbour to claim under their house insurance?
    Isn't that what house insurance is for?:confused:

• Money_saving_Martyn

Walter's Mum should have been supervising? How closely? Depending on the age of the child, it would be 100% impractical to keep 2 young lads under such close supervision. And even if they were supervised, it wouldn’t stop a child throwing a ball in a 5 second tantrum! If a child get's involved in a fight at school, the head teacher certainly doesn't blame his/herself, saying that he should have been stood on the exact spot of the fight, just in case.

If I were Dennis' parent, I would be embarrassed to hear that my child had been so violent and thrown a tantrum, and I'd expect to pay myself for the damage (unless it was somehow insured and wouldn't cause too much of a problem to claim (loss of no claims etc)) I would of course take it out of Dennis' pocket money, with interest is I was feeling mean (not at 19.9%APR, just a £10 or so…. And give it him back after he’d sulked for a bit – am I evil?). He'd know that this behavior would not be tolerated when his pocket money stopped for a few years!!!

So ultimately, Dennis should pay, via his own parents/guardians.
    Please note: I am NOT Martin Lewis, just somebody else called Martyn that likes money saving!
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Dennis should apologise and pay.Dennis's parents should pay for the damage and take it out of Dennis's pocket money until its repaid to them.People,including children,have to learn to take personal responsibility for their actions.This isn,t America you know!
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
    • nej
    • By nej 8th Aug 07, 9:56 AM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    nej
    This is the easiest one ever, not even a dilemma. Dennis's parents must pay. If it was a patio door or something costing thousands, then unfortunately the neighbours must claim from their insurance (unless Dennis's parents are loaded), but still Dennis's parents must pay the excess.

As for Dennis paying back his parents - I agree he should, but Dennis may not even have pocket money.
  • kamoha
    Dennis should pay - in BLOOD or vital organs sold to the highest bidder. Little tosser.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 8th Aug 07, 10:39 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    Well I think that Dennis's parents should pay too but I also believe that Walter's mum was in loco parentis and would be the one legally responsible.

However, I am sure that Walter and Dennis's mum would have a good enough relationship to discuss the incident in a friendly way and I would be very surprised if Dennis's mum didn't apologise to Walter's mum for the stressful time her son had given her and to offer to pay for the window straight out.

How she and her husband sort this with their unruly son is a totally separate issue.
  • suzithefloozy
    Dennis should pay - in BLOOD or vital organs sold to the highest bidder. Little tosser.
    Originally posted by kamoha
    Brilliant! Couldn't have put it better myself!

There's plenty of people out there needing new organs after all...
    Trust me - I'm a scientist!!!

Mortgage - too big to comprehend!

CC debt - none!
  • armcurl
    ...you could always hang a sign around his neck saying 'looser' ...
    Originally posted by Texi
    Yeah, then everyone could mock his poor spelling as well as his inability to catch a ball. He'd grow up into a well-adjusted adult for sure...
    • katiekittykat
    • By katiekittykat 8th Aug 07, 12:10 PM
    • 9,441 Posts
    • 36,449 Thanks
    katiekittykat
    Dennis's parents should pay!
    Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,280Posts Today

5,564Users online

Martin's Twitter