Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Pawan
    Tesco Clubcard fraud - online vouchers stolen
    • 21st Dec 12, 12:15 PM
    Tesco Clubcard fraud - online vouchers stolen 21st Dec 12 at 12:15 PM
    Like many people, we accumulate tesco clubcard points with our shopping, and every so often we log onto the website and exchange them for clubcard deals, or print off the the vouchers to use.

We logged on this month to find that 160 of vouchers that we were hoping to use at Christmas had been stolen (ie spent) from our clubcard account. It had been spent in two stores in London, miles away from where we live.

When we contacted Tesco, they said whoever did it would have had to hack into our online account, would need to know our email, clubcard number and password, would have then had to print the vouchers, and would then need a current valid physical clubcard to use in the store. (We still have all our clubcards, none are lost).

I wondered if anyone else had had this experience with Tesco?

We are currently trying to pursue it with them, but they are not being very helpful at the moment. We have also reported it to the police as online theft.
Page 4
    • deanos
    • By deanos 18th Feb 13, 9:02 AM
    • 10,933 Posts
    • 5,599 Thanks
    deanos
    I really think they should disable the printing option on CC as thats the problem , if vouchers are lost/damaged they should be cancelled and sent in the next statement through the post

EDIT: Ok right silly me didnt scroll down, all used 28/1/13 and showing on the account does not state where tho that part is blank
    Last edited by deanos; 18-02-2013 at 9:10 AM.
    • hjd
    • By hjd 18th Feb 13, 9:15 AM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 8,356 Thanks
    hjd
    This makes me think that they are not actually hacking through phishing because they would not be able to access the email to reset the password to one they can use. It would have to be someone who can access the account to change the password without actually using the email address.
    An inside job? or Tesco have been hacked (as in properly hacked, someone accessing their systems) and they don't want to admit it (or they don't know yet, but they would have to be really really stupid)?

This should really go to the papers IMO because Tesco are not acting responsibly. Refusing to block the vouchers and to acknowledge there is a problem is really not on.
    Originally posted by terra_ferma
    It definitely wasn't phishing in my case, and none of my details have been changed. However, someone has used my clubcard (one I have never used) and the vouchers.
    It's definitely got to be an insider job.
    • terra_ferma
    • By terra_ferma 18th Feb 13, 9:33 AM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    terra_ferma
    It definitely wasn't phishing in my case, and none of my details have been changed. However, someone has used my clubcard (one I have never used) and the vouchers.
    Originally posted by hjd
    I thought it was only because from experience 99.99% of accounts being hacked is done through phising, because it's easy, cheap, simple and if you send a large number of emails out randomly you'll get enough people the email is relevant to and also falling for it. So normally there is not need to take further risks.

This case IMO is highly organised and not just the work of one opportunistic employee. I hope they have involved the police.
    (incidentally online fraud/crime is an area I'm interested in and watch closely because it's relevant to my line of work).
    • hjd
    • By hjd 18th Feb 13, 9:48 AM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 8,356 Thanks
    hjd
    I thought it was only because from experience 99.99% of accounts being hacked is done through phising, because it's easy, cheap, simple and if you send a large number of emails out randomly you'll get enough people the email is relevant to and also falling for it. So normally there is not need to take further risks.

This case IMO is highly organised and not just the work of one opportunistic employee. I hope they have involved the police.
    (incidentally online fraud/crime is an area I'm interested in and watch closely because it's relevant to my line of work).
    Originally posted by terra_ferma
    The line they appear to be taking at the moment is sticking their fingers in their ears and singing la la la.
    Any suggestions on how to progress it? I have reported to action on fraud.
    • terra_ferma
    • By terra_ferma 18th Feb 13, 10:43 AM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    terra_ferma
    The line they appear to be taking at the moment is sticking their fingers in their ears and singing la la la.
    Any suggestions on how to progress it? I have reported to action on fraud.
    Originally posted by hjd
    Facebook and Twitter can be very powerful as well in spreading news.
    IMO they will refund, it would be a real PR disaster if they didn't.
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 18th Feb 13, 11:10 AM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Tesco Clubcard users report stolen vouchers
    "Clubcard users should check accounts after MoneySavers report hundreds of pounds worth of vouchers being stolen..."

Read the full story:

Tesco Clubcard users report stolen vouchers

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thank you to the MoneySavers who have provided us with information on this issue.

• deanos
    • By deanos 18th Feb 13, 11:22 AM
    • 10,933 Posts
    • 5,599 Thanks
    deanos
    I keep adding the news to the Tesco facebook page and it keeps getting removed !

If you can folks add the link to there page http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2013/02/tesco-clubcard-users-report-stolen-vouchers

We might be able to help more people with problems
    Last edited by deanos; 18-02-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    • terra_ferma
    • By terra_ferma 18th Feb 13, 11:25 AM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    terra_ferma
    They won't ignore this now...
    well done MSE
    Shame on you Tesco, this is going to back fire spectacularly. Nothing spreads faster than news that someone tries to cover up
  • dalesrider
    Originally posted by hjd
    Maybe I'm just being stupid here....

But if you have never used the card, how can there be any vouchers to use...

I thought that you had to spend to get any rewards.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
    • imaginarynumber
    • By imaginarynumber 18th Feb 13, 12:02 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    imaginarynumber
    are the vouchers sent via the post uniquely coded? I have seen the kurb side recycling men open Clubcard mail and remove vouchers from them.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 18th Feb 13, 12:06 PM
    • 10,933 Posts
    • 5,599 Thanks
    deanos
    are the vouchers sent via the post uniquely coded? I have seen the kurb side recycling men open Clubcard mail and remove vouchers from them.
    Originally posted by imaginarynumber
    Yes they are , but if you can get into a account you can reprint them, thats the problem, the system is floored, i have the vouchers in front of me but they have been used
    • D.A.
    • By D.A. 18th Feb 13, 12:20 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    D.A.
    I wonder how many of those who've had vouchers stolen, etc., have ever used the "forgotten password" facility when trying to logon to the Tesco website.

The "forgotten password" facility which they've been warned about numerous times, as it sends your password in *plain text* in an email, thereby giving anyone who intercepts the message both pieces of information they require to login to your account...
    • Percy1983
    • By Percy1983 18th Feb 13, 12:56 PM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    Percy1983
    Why don't people look at the wider problem.

Shop at Tesco and have 200 worth of clubcard vouchers

Or over the same period of time,

Shop at Asda and have 250 more left in your bank account.

Not and exact science I agree, but lets be honest clubcard vouchers aren't free are they.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
    • terra_ferma
    • By terra_ferma 18th Feb 13, 1:03 PM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    terra_ferma

Not and exact science I agree, but lets be honest clubcard vouchers aren't free are they.
    Originally posted by Percy1983
    You are being patronising, assuming that people only collect points though groceries and don't take advantage of offers etc. You don't know how they collected their points (e.g. mobile phones, that can be cheaper than other providers, special offers like one recently on samsung tablets etc). And how they are planning to spend them (again special offers that can increase the value considerably).
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 18th Feb 13, 1:09 PM
    • 20,378 Posts
    • 47,244 Thanks
    peachyprice

Originally posted by Percy1983

If only Asda were that much cheaper than Tesco
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • chrsfrm
    For Deanos
    Deanos, now that is a coincidence, my 97 worth were spent by the rogue on 28 Jan too. They say spent online, so no more info there. I am in Devon. In my mind all this points to an inside deal, Tesco should be looking within their own structures for the culprits, not making it hard for us. Anyone else had a loss on 28 Jan 2013?
    • terra_ferma
    • By terra_ferma 18th Feb 13, 2:03 PM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    terra_ferma
    Deanos, now that is a coincidence, my 97 worth were spent by the rogue on 28 Jan too. They say spent online, so no more info there. I am in Devon. In my mind all this points to an inside deal, Tesco should be looking within their own structures for the culprits, not making it hard for us. Anyone else had a loss on 28 Jan 2013?
    Originally posted by chrsfrm
    I bet that they are quietly panicking behind the scenes, with the IT dept playing it down (it ain't our fault, our systems are fantastic, people are stupid and lost their vouchers, or just lying), and the PR department in panic mode (keep a lid on it until you can, when you can't keep up with messages on facebook and delete them all, then find a good excuse and say it was a glitch that has been resolved and will never happen again).
  • chrsfrm
    facebook
    "messages on facebook"??? Got a link I can post to? Searched but nothing suitable came up. Love to publicise the issue more!!!
    • deanos
    • By deanos 18th Feb 13, 2:31 PM
    • 10,933 Posts
    • 5,599 Thanks
    deanos
    go to facebook and type tesco in the search bar at top
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 18th Feb 13, 2:34 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Don't know about Tesco sending you your password in an email but the easiest way to CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD is to select "forgotten password" at the logon screen.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,857Users online

Martin's Twitter