Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • Yoga Girl
    • By Yoga Girl 9th May 05, 8:00 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Yoga Girl
    Bananas!

Just bung on the barbeque in their skins for about 15 mins, cut off a strip of the skin along the length of the banana and spinkle the banana with whatever you fancy - honey, alcohol, brown sugar, ground nuts. Serve in their skins.

• dorry
    Put the new potatoes in foil with crushed garlic,butter and salt. Garlicky new pots dripping in butter, yum. Make your own colesaw, just grate some white cabbage, carrot and mix with mayo.You can make a huge bowl for about a pound. Much tastier and crunchier than shop bought.
    by Numptie
    i didn't realise that coleslaw could be made that easy, i 'm gonna try make some!!! can't wait for next garden day.. .roll on summer, we have had our gazebo up for weeks in hope of some sunny days.. ahhhh
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa
  • mink35
    You could really do with onion in coleslaw as well as the cabbage/carrot. Stir in about two tablespoons of mayo and leave overnight then add more mayo just before serving. Gives all the flavours chance to mingle and adding the extra mayo means it stays creamy (if you put it all in overnight it can go a bit watery)
    Mink
    • reverie
    • By reverie 10th May 05, 6:46 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    reverie
    Hmm.. Now.. How do I make sure the sun shines on Saturday??
    • bailey
    • By bailey 6th Jun 05, 9:20 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    bailey
    Ideas for BBQ on the cheap please?
    Am doing a BBQ for 6 this weekend and would like some ideas for something a little different than sausages and burgers. Most of these from Tesco are revolting anyway.

I thought about making my own burger from lean mince, chopped onions and lea n perrins, do they hold together or collaspe on the barbie?

I have some chicken breasts in the freezer, I need some easy but cheap ideas for those.

I also have some sausages i can defrost which were on special but good brand.

I also thought about making a potato salad, rice salad and of course normal salad, but not too much i find that usually get mostly left.

For desert, hmmm not got there yet.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
  • FenLandK
    If you squeeze your burger ingredients together tightly enough and then seal the outside on the hottest part of the BBQ then they shouldn't fall apart.

With the chicken breasts, there's a couple of good marinades that I use. First one is tandoori - mix 1 tbsp of lemon juice with a small pot of natural yoghurt and some tandoori spice mix (Tesco do a reasonable one) - you need to decide how spicy you want it. Defrost the chicken and make some deep cuts into it. Rub in the marinade and then leave overnight. As always with chicken, make sure it is cooked all the way through.

Another good marinade is lime juice and coriander (same technique as above).

As for dessert - fresh fruit salad is always nice and takes away some of the richness of all of that meat

Have fun!
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 6th Jun 05, 10:48 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Rebob
    A few jacket potatoes are nice and filling (cheap too!). Onions are nice too when cooked on bbq. Vegetable kebabs:- onion, peppers, mushrooms etc on a skewer.
    When the heat has dropped a bit put on some bananas in their skins. Cook until very dark brown, split the skin and pour in some alcohol eg brandy and add ice cream or squirty cream. yum
    I will have a think for you of some other ideas.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Asda....
    Hi There

Ive just done my weekly shop at Asda and they have their Birds Eye 100% beef burgers on BOGOF for 2.48 for 16. Thats just 15pence each I cant have beef but hubby and daughter will only eat them and they cook very well on a BBQ!

Asda do some nice frozen sausages as well-I think the ones I normally get are the irish pork thick ones (80% pork)-1kg for 1.99 (you usually get around 20), so thats about 10pence each and they cook well on BBQ from frozen. Sometimes i do defrost before cooking but not nessessary.

Burger buns and hot dog rolls can be bought for about 1.25 for 24 or so. If I have family round, I normally do something like:

HM Potatoe Salad (Pots, mayo & bacon bits)
    Pasta mix in mayo, chicken/ham, sweetcorn & a little chilli powder (tastes like a cold carbanara)
    Pork Pies (value are good quality)
    Scotch Eggs (HM or value)
    HM Quiche
    HM Coleslaw or Value Coleslaw (about 20pence)
    Corn On Cob (cooked on BBQ covered in butter in foil)
    Large Salad (lettuce, cucumber, onion, tomatoe)
    Jacket Spuds (cook in microwave for 5 mins then wrap in foil & place on BBQ)
    Garlic Bread (value stuff is 35p a baguette)
    Burgers (100%beef)
    Sausages (as mentioned above)
    Chicken (normally cook through in oven first, then finish on BBQ)
    Steaks (if on offer)
    Enough Rolls etc
    HM Relish (toms, onions)
    Salad Dressing etc
    Cheap bottles of lemonade/cola
    HM Punch (cheap wine, value OJ, rum, fruit & ice)

Hope this helps

Penny-Pincher!!
    XXX
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 7th Jun 05, 7:22 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    We have quite a number of threads with barbeque ideas in them, but the three main barbeque threads are:-

One and Two and Three
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Katgoddess
    • By Katgoddess 7th Jun 05, 8:18 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Katgoddess
    Have a couple of pizzas in the freezer to spare in case you run out of food or for latecomers. But I don't think you'll have that problem with only 6 of you.
    "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
  • idiot
    adding breadcrumbs to the mix when making burgers will help to stop them falling to pieces.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 7th Jun 05, 8:41 AM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    these barbecue really well and are cheaoer than meat:
    corn on the cob
    slices of fresh pineapple
    bananas wrapped in foil
    new potatoes

saves you faffing about with salads, and makes best use of all the 'spare' heat from the bbq!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • gravitytolls
    • By gravitytolls 7th Jun 05, 8:55 AM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 23,207 Thanks
    gravitytolls
    stick your ingredients in the whizzer and thery are easy to shape and stay together.

Also, try minced pork with apple

or

minced lamb with mint.

Butchers sausages are yum, lentils make good burgers.

brown sugar, honey, wine vinegar makes a good base for marinade, just add garlic/chilli etc according to taste.

Have fun, I hope the weather holds.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • trace-j
    We've done cheese and onion pasties for a friend who was a picky eater. Just wrap them in foil to warm them up. Didn't dare take them out just in case the filling went everywhere. Kind of defeats the idea of using the charcoal to flavour the food I know!
    I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about
  • Lucie
    To keep your burgers together during cooking avoid adding any "wet" ingredients. I used to add chopped spring onion tops to my burgers, but now I find dried chives much better. Also make a good few hours in advance & keep in the fridge til you need them. This really helps them keep their shape.

Get dowm to your local market to buy meat for a BBQ. It's miles cheaper & usually much fresher. Ours does 30 marinated chicken drumsticks for a fiver & you can usually get a whole salmon at the end of the day for less than a fiver. That will feed lots of people. Stuff it with lemon slices & herbs & wrap up in sheets of newspaper & secure with string. Soak in water for an hour then put on the BBQ. The burnt paper gives it a lovely smoky flavour. We have done this a couple of times at BBQ parties & people are always really impressed.
  • kgpuk
    The burgers also stay together better if you fry the onions off before putting them in the mix.
    • bailey
    • By bailey 9th Jun 05, 12:32 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    bailey
    Thank you all for the suggestions and tips, I've only just managed to catch back up with this thread and really pleased with all the comments. Fantastic, thanks.
  • pandas66
    Always remember to help keep costs down accept offers from guests to bring something, not only does doing a barbie get expensive but its sooooooo time consuming and you need to enjoy it too. So delegate the puds to one 'family' or accept offers of 'shall I bring some beers?'. I attended a barb last weekend and did the pud, they had loads of beers left from the w/end before, inwhich we never saw either hubby or wife due to hosting obligations ( stuck in the kitchen cooking ).
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
  • Lyndsay_21
    i went to a bbq last saturday and food was gorgeous heres what we had
    pork cubed marinaded in spice wooden skewers so we could make our own kebabs with pork and onions, peppers, mushrooms etc. Chicken marinaded in a tikka style dressing like someone else said, steak marinaded over night in a bit of whiskey mixed with some other spices and home made gorgeous garlic bread which was made by putting some garlic in a food processor and whizzing till pureed then adding some philadelphia (or supermarket equivalent) and some spring onions then get a baguette and score it then put it in baguette and wrap in foil and put in oven, was THE most delish garlic bread ever.
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts
    • basill
    • By basill 9th Jun 05, 5:34 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    basill
    my favourite bbq starter is giant mushrooms warmed up stalk down and then cooked till they bubble full of butter and garlic
    left over garlic buter can then be slathered over any corn cobs etc..

Basill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,690Posts Today

7,920Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin