Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ChocClare
    Flageolet beans - any good ideas?
    • 6th Jun 05, 5:30 PM
    Flageolet beans - any good ideas? 6th Jun 05 at 5:30 PM
    My (French) husband goes on these little jaunts to Caen or Cherbourg every so often and comes back with a Renault Espace full of typical French fare for us to nosh.

Unfortunately. he has a siege mentality which means that he always worries France will run out of things, so he comes back with eight tons of everything.

As a result I have huge numbers of tins of flageolet beans.

Has anybody got any good recipes? Obviously we have them with lamb, but anything else? Can they replace other types of beans in other recipes? All you veggies out there, you must have some tasty ideas we could use - I need to get these tins OUT of my cupboard!!

Many thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 6th Jun 05, 5:40 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 6th Jun 05, 5:40 PM
    • 6th Jun 05, 5:40 PM
    Here's a salad idea if you like fennel too.

flageolet, corn and fennel salad

1 cup dried flageolet beans soaked in cold water overnight
    2 cups corn kernels (about 4 ears)
    1 large fennel bulb trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch dice
    1 small red onion cut into 1/2 inch dice
    1 small papaya seeded peeled and diced
    1/4 cup fresh mint leaves coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves chopped

cumin vinaigrette:
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    6 tablespoons olive ail
    salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

fresh mint leaves for garnish

Drain beans and put in pot with cold water to cover.
    Bring to a boil partially cover reduce heat and simmer 35 to 45 minutes or until tender.
    Drain and let cool.
    Cook corn in salted boiling water until tender about 3 minutes.
    Let cool. In a large bowl combine beans corn fennel onion papaya mint and parsley.
    In a small bowl whisk all vinaigrette ingredients together.
    Toss with bean mixture.
    Garnish with mint.

Though small in size the flageolet has perhaps the best flavour of all dried beans. Its delicate celadon colour and French connections also give it a certain panache yet it is simply a kidney bean in its immature state. Combined with the sunny glints of papaya and corn flageolets make an unusual salad radiant with exquisite colours.

Edit: Since, as it says here, they are immature kidney beans, I would suppose that any recipe with kidney beans would work... so how do you fancy chilli every day for the next few months?
    Last edited by squeaky; 06-06-2005 at 5:50 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 6th Jun 05, 6:07 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 6th Jun 05, 6:07 PM
    • 6th Jun 05, 6:07 PM
    I have several tins in the cupboard myself and use them in all sorts of dishes that require any form of beans, sometimes alone, sometimes mixed with other varieties.

There's a Spicy Beef & Bean casserole in the recipe thread that I've also used them in too
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 06-06-2005 at 6:10 PM. Reason: to add recipe link
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 6th Jun 05, 6:27 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 7,431 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    • 6th Jun 05, 6:27 PM
    • 6th Jun 05, 6:27 PM
    I fry an onion in olive oil, when it is soft add two or three skinned chopped tomatoes. Let them soften then add tin flagloet beans
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 6th Jun 05, 6:33 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 6th Jun 05, 6:33 PM
    • 6th Jun 05, 6:33 PM
    I have several tins in the cupboard myself and use them in all sorts of dishes that require any form of beans, sometimes alone, sometimes mixed with other varieties.

There's a Spicy Beef & Bean casserole in the recipe thread that I've also used them in too
    by Curry_Queen
    Dash it I've got to turn my printer on now! That's definitely in my meal planner for next week!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Galtizz
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:36 AM
    • 7th Jun 05, 8:36 AM
    Here's a salad idea if you like fennel too.

flageolet, corn and fennel salad
    by squeaky
    Squeaky, could you please make sure you add this to the recipe thread, otherwise it won't be indexed

There is Vanoonoo's Mexican Bean Thingy in the slow cooker thread, I guess you could use fageolet beans in place of or as well as the other beans.

I had this last night, (I used spices instead of the packet mix) I put the slow cooker on yesterday morning to leave it on for 36hrs but it smelled so good by last night OH wouldn't wait until tonight to eat it. It was lovely and I've got some for the freezer and some for my lunch.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 7th Jun 05, 9:22 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 7th Jun 05, 9:22 AM
    • 7th Jun 05, 9:22 AM
    Squeaky, could you please make sure you add this to the recipe thread, otherwise it won't be indexed
    by Galtizz
    I'm having horrendous connection problems at the moment - a tree is literally sawing my phone line apart as it aways in the breeze. have I said this already?

Anyway, yes, of course I'll add it to the recipe thread.

Oh, and...

• Badgergal
    • 7th Jun 05, 10:08 AM
    • 7th Jun 05, 10:08 AM
    I had a mixed bean tin which I'm sure had flagloet beans in it, and I used it to make the Mexican Bean Thing mentioned above at the weekend. It turned out lovely.

Galtizz, what spices did you use instead of the packet mix please?
  • mink35
    • 7th Jun 05, 10:28 AM
    • 7th Jun 05, 10:28 AM
    Would you put flageolet in a three bean salad - the one you get red kidney beans in and onions and some nice dressing? ... anyone got a recipe?
    Mink
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz, what spices did you use instead of the packet mix please?
    by Badgergal
    I used:

1 tsp Cumin
    1 tsp Oregano
    2 tsp HOT chilli powder
    2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp dried chillis

I like it hot, hot, hot if you don't use mild chilli powder and don't put the dried chillis in (dried chillis can be found in the spices isle usually with the chilli powder, Asda and Tesco's do there own brand, they add extra heat to things and the longer they cook the hotter they get)

HTH
  • Badgergal
    Great, thanks Galtizz. I think that will work out much cheaper than buying a packet mix every time.
  • ChocClare
    Thanks very much Galtizz - I guess this answers my other question, which was how well do they freeze? Gallic husband only ever buys industrial tins of anything, so there's always far too much - that's half the problem!
  • Galtizz
    I guess this answers my other question, which was how well do they freeze?
    by ChocClare
    I don't know, I'll let you know in a couple of months when I get them back out to eat I think they should freeze OK, but you've got me thinking now, I can't see any reason why they won't.
  • Catseyes777
    Flageolet beans recipe ideas...?
    Hi there

I am trying to live out of my cupboards and freezer at the moment so that I can save a few pennies and to clear some room...

One of the (many) things I have is about 15 x 800g tins of flageolets...
    I have a couple of uses for them, ie by themselves with lamb/ any meat, with onions and chillies, cooked in a bit of balsamic vinegar which goes well with salmon/ tuna steak... but apart from that, I am a little stuck as to what I could do with them? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    • the cake
    • By the cake 6th Oct 12, 6:23 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 7,404 Thanks
    the cake
    Very nice with onions and garlic and sausages (yummy with chorizo). Also good to bulk out soup .... I think you could also process them into a sort of puree and use as a dip, but you would need to add a bit of extra flavour - not sure what! HTH, the cake
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 6th Oct 12, 6:30 PM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    :My very favourite bean of all.....I rarely get further than heating them with onion as you know how to do...I could eat them cold from the tin

They are also good, IMO, in a hearty winter tuna salad, IMO we are well out of the light salad season. I make a sort of 'co
    D season' take on nicoise, with warm potatos, and lots of things like artichockes and grilled peppers, and sometimes roast veg ant room temperature, and then tuna, rather than fresh letuce and cold crispy summer veg. (I also do this with put lentils' which my husband prefers, but flagolet are unbeatable for me!)
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 6th Oct 12, 7:01 PM
    • 6,986 Posts
    • 35,495 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Add some to spag bol/chillis/shephards pie etc.

Add to salads and soups

Make a dip (houmous like)

Here are some recipe suggestions from BBC
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Catseyes777
    Thank you... sounds good
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 7th Oct 12, 5:41 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    ive merged this with an older thread which has some ideas for you

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,402Users online

Martin's Twitter